New Wii U owner here...

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by astrangeone, Mar 8, 2017.

1. astrangeone
    OP

astrangeone GBAtemp Addict

Dec 1, 2009
    Canada
    Canada
    So, I was out with a buddy today and ended up picking up a Wii U from EBGames.

I picked up a 64 gb sd card, a hdmi/rca converter and a 32 gb usb flash drive.

Is that all I need to run backups on my Wii U?

I looked at the new Wii U guide...and it recommends RedNAND. What's good about RedNAND on the Wii U?

2. SkittleDash

SkittleDash Loading...

Oct 21, 2015
    Skyloft
    Yes, you're all set. As for RedNAND, there's absolutely no reason to use RedNAND if you're just installing games. The chances of bricking are extremely low. The only reason I can think of using RedNAND is if you're going to fiddle with the system files. But other than that, it's kinda useless. I recommend buying a cheap DS game off the eShop and use Haxchi for quick Homebrew access. Also comes with region free and Sig patches.

3. astrangeone
    OP

Dec 1, 2009
    Canada
    Canada
    So basically CBHC + Mocha CFW - sysnand is what I need?

I'm just mainly picking it up for Breath of the Wild and a couple of vWii things as well.

4. SkittleDash

SkittleDash Loading...

Oct 21, 2015
    Skyloft
    I don't see why not. Use whatever you feel comfortable with. Just not RedNAND. It takes too much time. And I mean hours.

For vWii, you can follow the guide that's already a sticky. Happy gaming. :)

5. eyeball226

eyeball226 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 11, 2009
    Curious about what you need the HDMI-RCA converter for? The Wii U can natively output either, shouldn't need a converter.

6. astrangeone
    OP

Dec 1, 2009
    Canada
    Canada
    I know, but I can't get my hands on a cheap cable (I know Nintendo makes one for the Wii U), and buying an HDMI/rca converter is cheaper, since I'm planning on picking up a PS4.

7. eyeball226

eyeball226 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 11, 2009
    The Wii U has two video outputs, one is standard HDMI and the other is the port the Wii used, all Wii cables I've tried have worked with the Wii U fine and Wii cables should still be pretty abundant used.

EDIT: RCA isn't a format, I'm assuming you meant component although composite is obviously carried by an RCA cable too (or phono as we call them).

Last edited by eyeball226, Mar 9, 2017
  8. astrangeone
    OP

Dec 1, 2009
    Canada
    Canada
    Ah, I see it now. It's the AV multi-out, right?

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Thank you! You saved me a bundle of cash anyhow. :) Now to track down my 64 gb sd card. (I had one somewhere!)

9. H1B1Esquire

H1B1Esquire RxTools, the ultimate CFW machine.

Nov 2, 2016
    United States
    Earth, bro-dude.
    I recommend buying a Pro Controller (maybe two--one official, one from PowerA or those two-in-ones with SNES/SFC colors) while you can before they become the next Wavebird; I still regret selling mine.

10. Kafluke

Kafluke GBAtemp Psycho!

May 6, 2006
    United States
    OK I'm just gonna say it. No offense but you bought a wii u and your gonna buy a ps4 and you're still using composite? Save your money and get a cheap HD screen!

11. kolosus

kolosus GBAtemp Regular

Jul 14, 2010
    United States
    You can also bypass the whole DS game unless you want to be able to apply the CFW on boot. It is possible to apply the patch manually every time you reboot the wii u, by going to the website. I did buy the DS game, BTW. Just letting you know your options.

12. astrangeone
    OP

Dec 1, 2009
    Canada
    Canada
    I see one where you self-host the files needed to apply the patch. Do you need an NNID to buy the DS game?

13. kolosus

kolosus GBAtemp Regular

Jul 14, 2010
    United States
    Self hosting is an option that I thought about for about 5 min before buying the ds game. Yes. You'd need a NNID to buy the game.

14. astrangeone
    OP

Dec 1, 2009
    Canada
    Canada
    Just flipping the PS4. I have a cheap HD screen, just haven't opened it yet.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Ick. I have my NNID for my 3DS and I find that really annoying to remember. Well, guess I'm doing the self-hosting thing.

15. H1B1Esquire

H1B1Esquire RxTools, the ultimate CFW machine.

Nov 2, 2016
    United States
    Earth, bro-dude.
    You're pretty much set. Just remember to fix your signature; show your Wii U you care.

astrangeone likes this.