Homebrew New VBA GX fork (2.3.0)

vicmarto

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
That's because your SCART is awaiting RGB signals but NTSC video mode on Wii outputs S-Video instead of RGB. This was a common issue with early homebrew on PAL Wii when using SCART (no problem when using the composite cable).

The mod probably setups the wrong video mode for 240p (and 480i apparently), it should be NTSC for NTSC consoles and EURGB60 for PAL consoles.

Excellent comment Jacobeian, thank you very much.

Please libertyernie, can something be done about this issue. Currently is not possible for europeans to get 240p mode.

Sizednochi

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Alright, here's the borders I'm using in case anyone wants them. They really feel as if the real thing existed thanks to lybertiernie's implementetion of 240p (borders being rendered at 240p as well - real bliss!). I've been enjoying playing games with them.

Credits goes mostly to BLUEambesiac over at Deviantart, his stuff looks as authentic as it gets - they look real, real good at 240p. I've simply adapted his SGBC borders and reworked/editted his SGBA one. Feel free to edit them for different colors or whatever.

GBC - Original
IpJxAII.png
GBC - Fullscreen​
BYn36aq.png
GBA
LW9h5jG.png

EDIT: The SGBA border I posted before was at a wrong resolution, I've fixed it up now. I've also added a fullscreen SGBC border.

Chris_Highwind

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As good as 240p sounds, my TV is incapable of handling such a resolution. With S-Video (Red, white, and yellow), the TV shows 240p in 480i, and with component, I don't see anything at all.

Sizednochi

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
As good as 240p sounds, my TV is incapable of handling such a resolution. With S-Video (Red, white, and yellow), the TV shows 240p in 480i, and with component, I don't see anything at all.

Honestly I'd recommend buying a good CRT that supports 240p if you love Retro games. Maybe even a high quality small PVM. They're quite cheap nowadays, and just plugging your Wii on that will open up a true emulation treasure trove cove right before your eyes, this VBAGX modification just seals the deal.

awefour44

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly I'd recommend buying a good CRT that supports 240p if you love Retro games. Maybe even a high quality small PVM. They're quite cheap nowadays, and just plugging your Wii on that will open up a true emulation treasure trove cove right before your eyes, this VBAGX modification just seals the deal.

I agree. Search craigslist for a Sony Wega, in most areas there are people giving away 30-inch models and sometimes larger. Only downside is you have to carry that heavy mother ;) Last year I got lucky and found one that was manufactured in 2006 and had never been taken out of the box. People already favored flatscreens by that time, so many of the CRTs that people got as gifts or won in a contest/raffle just got put into storage and never used.

libertyernie

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Excellent comment Jacobeian, thank you very much.

Please libertyernie, can something be done about this issue. Currently is not possible for europeans to get 240p mode.
I guess that makes sense. The 240p mode I put in VBA GX is specifically NTSC (TVNtsc240Ds). I bet adding TVEurgb60Hz240Ds as an option might make it work.
Here's libogc's available video modes in case anyone is curious: https://github.com/comex/libogc/blob/master/libogc/video.c
I'm using 2.2.8 for the intact motion controls.

EDIT: I just downloaded the latest .dol (2.3.2) and the sontrols seem to be okay for Yoshi but still not picking up for Warioware: Twisted. Does not show calibrating screen.
Hmm... I haven't changed gameinput.cpp since 2.2.8, except for adding the Kid Dracula controls. I might need to test this game out.
EDIT: Actually there's WarioWare Twisted related code in RTC.cpp inside the VBA-M files. It doesn't look like that part changed, but maybe something else broke it? I doubt I can fix it, though.

vicmarto

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I guess that makes sense. The 240p mode I put in VBA GX is specifically NTSC (TVNtsc240Ds). I bet adding TVEurgb60Hz240Ds as an option might make it work.
Here's libogc's available video modes in case anyone is curious: https://github.com/comex/libogc/blob/master/libogc/video.c

WOW!! Excellent libertyernie!! I have modified the source code, only changing TVNtsc240Ds to TVEurgb60Hz240Ds and now all is working beautifully well !!! Thank you very much!!

260fj1z.jpg

coldadkop

Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Would it be possible to use the palettes the game boy color used for original game boy games? like the special ones super mario land 2 and metroid 2 have, that would make this even more awesome

awefour44

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll preface this by pointing out that the addition of 240p has been so awesome that even if nothing is updated on VBAgx ever again, I will be a happy camper for all eternity.

Would it be possible to use the palettes the game boy color used for original game boy games? like the special ones super mario land 2 and metroid 2 have, that would make this even more awesome

It would also be nice, for that matter, to have the Super Game Boy Palettes (not the game-specific ones but the system's default palette library---see http://www.mariowiki.com/Super_Game_Boy).

libertyernie

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi. Does this fork support fix94s libogc patch for the wiiu pro controller?
The release candidates for 2.3.2 support the pro controller thanks to Glitch porting it over. Pretty soon (probably tomorrow) I will post the final version of 2.3.2 - the only difference from release candidate 2 (which I posted here) is that I'm renaming 60Hz PAL to European RGB (a more accurate name) and adding a 240p version of it (the one vicmarto used in the post above.)

Zopenko

Link He come to town Come to save the Princess Z
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
thank you libertyernie for all you're hard work!,
since you have improved this emulator; could i suggest that improve the SNESGX :)
by adding scanline support, it currently has does filter, but it slows the game down.
(sorry if i am out of line, but it doesn't hurt to ask )

MrTea

Trophies
XP
Country
The release candidates for 2.3.2 support the pro controller thanks to Glitch porting it over. Pretty soon (probably tomorrow) I will post the final version of 2.3.2 - the only difference from release candidate 2 (which I posted here) is that I'm renaming 60Hz PAL to European RGB (a more accurate name) and adding a 240p version of it (the one vicmarto used in the post above.)
Thanks for the reply. I guess it's time for me to update then. :-)

awefour44

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Too bad the speed hacks used in the RetroArch Wii version of this emulator can't be implemented, AFAIK, as that would give games a tremendous speed boost.

If that's the case, just use RetroArch.

libertyernie as already done a great service to the community with his updates to VBA GX. We should all recognize that anything else requested can't possibly compare to the substantial changes already implemented; that includes requests for speed hacks, cheats, etc. The addition of 240p was a MAJOR improvement that can't possibly be compared to such minor things as speed hacks.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If that's the case, just use RetroArch.

libertyernie as already done a great service to the community with his updates to VBA GX. We should all recognize that anything else requested can't possibly compare to the substantial changes already implemented; that includes requests for speed hacks, cheats, etc. The addition of 240p was a MAJOR improvement that can't possibly be compared to such minor things as speed hacks.

You know what, I think I'll excuse myself out of this thread now. :D

vicmarto

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia

Thank you very much libertyernie, especially for the 240p.

DarioEMeloD

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
Longtime lurker here. First of all, thank you so much for... well, everything :)

To the point. I don't know if it's been asked already, but is it possible to add GBC Bios functionality to load preset palettes for monochrome GB games (like Metroid 2, Kaeru no Tame Ni, Mario Land, etc)? I have tested it on BGB and it works flawlessly, although VBA-M doesn't like it.

The way custom palettes work right now is really troublesome, but I'm not saying you should eliminate it completely. In fact, it's way better to have this option for some epileptic games when played on a GBC (Kirby's Dream Land comes to mind).

If it's too much trouble just don't bother, but as an alternative, you could make it so it's compatible with these GBC palettes? They don't have the "WIND" colors VBAGX palettes have (whatever that is), but instead we have 4 colors for OBJ0 and OBJ1. I assume that would fix most of the palettes problems here.

Anyway, thanks again for all your hard work!

PS: Unrelated, but a good read.

PS2: Have some borders too (Crystal is based on ShadowOne333's)

Attachments

• METROID2.png
    METROID2.png
    8.9 KB · Views: 547
  • PM_CRYSTAL.png
    PM_CRYSTAL.png
    2.9 KB · Views: 581
  • POKEMON BLUE.png
    POKEMON BLUE.png
    2.3 KB · Views: 596
  • POKEMON RED.png
    POKEMON RED.png
    2.3 KB · Views: 528
  • METALGEARGBBMSP.png
    METALGEARGBBMSP.png
    20.3 KB · Views: 524

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'd rather spend like $150 more for a surround receiver.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I bought the game at launch never fucked with it until recently
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its fun, I like it, even tho I'm not a big harry potter fan. Like a wizard rpg. Flying around on a broomstick is cool.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Flying sucks ass on it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh just takes a min to get used to. I think you can upgrade or buy new broomstick also that are better.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I weirdly like inverted controls on all flying type games
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Prob can change it, inverted flying controls.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Only thing that annoys me is trying to find wtf to do in it
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Alright off to the store, later gators.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Some places amaze me were not in network with your insurance would you still like an appointment
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    uhhh, I think I'll just stick with my PSP 3001
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    lol, Now I gotta go to the store for more Coffee Mate n other stuff.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i downloaded final fantasy vii into my tv stick
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i mean, the game was already there but its the japanese version
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    and i only downloaded disc 1 so far bc of storage stuff
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    @BigOnYa, yeah the patty on McDs burger is 1/10th of a pound now and I think that's the pre cooked weight lol
    I use the app for the 20% off coupon and it's still over priced
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, why is mcdonalds overpriced if their food is bad?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i mean why is mcdonalds food overpriced
    Inflation and greed
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it's just fries, make 'em at home
    +2
    I make potato wedges at home with spices and stuff lol
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I make potato wedges at home with spices and stuff lol