New TV, but strange problem connecting to PC

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Xuphor, May 24, 2012.

May 24, 2012
  1. Xuphor
    OP

Banned Xuphor I have lied to all of you. I am deeply sorry.

United States
    I just got a Magnavox 40mf401b, which has an input specifically for HDMI-DVI computer cables. I plug it into the TV, and Windows seems to detect it with no problems whatsoever. All the options are there, the different methods of displaying (clone, extend, etc), resizing the desktop, everything seems to work like there is no problem.

Except the TV displays nothing.

I know for a fact it is not a problem with the cable or my computer, as the HDMI-DVI cable works just fine on another monitor I have. I also know it's not a problem with the new TV, because plugging my PS3 into the same HDMI slot on the new TV works without any problems. So if it's not a problem with my computer, cable, or the new TV's input, what the hell can cause it to detect fine, but not display anything?

After trying various solutions that none of which worked, I eventually gave up on the HDMi-DVI cable, and use the HDTV Component Out cables for my Nvidia Geforce 260 GTX card. This works fine, it detects just like the HDMI-DVI does, no problems, and the screen displays fine too. The problem here is that the TV is a 1080p native TV, but I'm only able to select 1080i (1920x1080 @ 29-30HZ), not 1080p at all. The option literally is not even there to select.

So, I either need to 1 (perfered) - Fix the HDMI-DVI problem, or 2 - Get the HDTV Component out to work with 1080p.

Please help me with either of these.

EDIT: I just relized that it's impossible to do 1080p via component, no matter what. So really, I just need help with the HDMI-DVI problem.

2. Clarky

Member Clarky Don't you know who I think I am?

United States
    have you tried setting a different resolution? maybe the tv is having issues accepting the one you put in

3. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    This might seem obvious and you've probably already done it but... Have you set the PC to actually output something onto the TV? E.g. Clone output?

Also, have you set the TV to the right input?

4. Xuphor
    OP

United States
    @[member='clarky']
    Yes, I have tried all resolutions pickable on the Nvidia Control Panel

@[member='Originality']
    Uh, yes. I'm not a newbie computer nor newbie multi-monitor user by any means. Good to ask to be sure though. :lol:

5. exangel

Member exangel executioner angel

United States
    Is there a DisplayPort output on your graphics card, and if so, would it be possible for you to borrow (or buy and return if it doesn't solve the problem) a DisplayPort/Mini DisplayPort to HDMI cable?

I'm assuming you've already tried unplugging all other outputs and using the cable you already have connected to the TV as the only display?

Earlier this year I had a problem attempting to run a third display and had to get a Mini DisplayPort to DVI adapter to use two monitors and an HDMI connected TV simultaneously.

edit: the reason I had to do this is because the card I own has two DVI outs an, HDMI, and mini display port. but it cannot use both DVI outs and HDMI simultaneously if you're not in EyeFinity mode (which is pointless if all three displays are different resolutions).

6. Xuphor
    OP

United States

7. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    My last idea is changing the output resolution to something the TV might support. Never mind, misread the above posts.

Fish out the manual for the TV maybe?

8. nico445

Member nico445 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    I have this sometimes when trying to boot my pc up onto our Panasonic Vierra tv. try booting it without a display (wait till it's logged in) or enter your password at a good time. and when it's logged in plug in the cable. that way i usually get something on the screen :P

9. Xuphor
    OP

United States
    @[member='Originality']
    Already did, nothing mentioned at all. I am connecting it the way it says, and there's nothing in the troubleshooting category about this.

@[member='nico445']
    I've tried booting it plugged in at the start, tried it after about 5 minutes of no display from boot, and tried it randomly with the other DVI-DVI monitor plugged in. Nada.

10. exangel

United States
    The only thing I can think of is that this is symptomatic of a signal problem. It's a longshot, but have you tried changing the (I don't know what nVidia drivers are like) HDTV / digital TV settings in the driver control to output different color formats? Because I no longer have an HDTV connected to my system I don't even remember exactly what the options were and I can't find the equivalent settings in the catalyst drivers. I'm not talking about changing color temperature or that kind of thing, I'm talking about the per pixel color output format which there should be at least 3 different options for including the "Component cable" equivalent YPbPr -- sorry that I cannot provide a more detailed example.

11. exangel

United States
    Xuphor, did you find any resolution? Did you understand what I meant to try in my previous comment?

Would you be willing to spend a small amount of money to try a different graphics card (which you could return to me if it doesn't solve the problem?)

12. dimmidice

Member dimmidice GBAtemp Maniac

Belgium
    go to screen resolution, and press "detect" my tv doesnt show up until i do that.

13. Xuphor
    OP

United States
    Sorry I haven't replied in a while.

I managed to get 1080i to work on the HDMI-DVI cable at 30hz. 1080P still gives me a black screen though. Considering the PS3 is outputting in 1080p with no problems whatsoever still, there is definatly still something wrong here.

@[member='exangel']
    No, I do not even have $5 to spare at the moment, muchless enough for a video card of any kind.

@[member='dimmidice']
    Yes, that's the only way to get it work via Component, but as I've said, I already got that working. HDMI-DVI doesn't require that.

14. exangel

United States
    Well, I would've just lent you my spare cheapo radeon 5570 to troubleshoot if you'd paid for the shipping, but as it turns out, I can't even find the full-height bracket for it (it'll only fit in a HTPC size case now).

I'm glad you've figured something out, even if interlaced is the compromise you had to settle for. If I think of anything else I'll let you know.

15. dimmidice

Member dimmidice GBAtemp Maniac

Belgium
    oh sorry then man, not a clue.