Gaming New to the Switch

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Lali ho!

After an especially ruinous trade-in run I finally managed to get my hands on a Switch Lite. Cost half my PS4 collection, an old phone and a bunch of other junk, but I got it done. Loving it so far, but I have a few quick questions if you'll indulge me.

- In the demo for Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee, the movement is alarmingly jittery. Character stops running for some reason. I did a quick search and found threads from about 2 years ago suggesting to resync the joycons, which is obviously not an option for me 'cause they're glued in. Was this issue ever patched in the full game? My daughter is adamant she gets to pet the Eevee, but if the damn thing doesn't work I'd rather just buy her a plushy and save the memory space.

- As I understand things the maximum MicroSD the system can support is 2TB, which I'm pretty sure is a purely hypothetical card since eBay turned up basically nothing that big. Any reliable ways of getting a decent sized reliable memory card at a reasonable price here in the UK? Any brands of SD I should stay away from? What kind of size do you think is good enough for the job?

- Downloading the NES and SNES functions, a couple of demos and Tetris/Pacman 99 killed half my onboard memory. Are Switch files really that huge? I doubt they're the same kind of deal as my PS4 games which are often over 100GB but 32GB doesn't seem like anything close to enough. Is there a listing for how much space things take up? I couldn't see anything on the eShop.

- From what I hear there's currently no way of 'soft hacking' a Switch Lite, correct? Only by installing some kind of extra chip or something? Bit beyond my skill level. Unless my info is out of date..?

Thanks for reading.

cluesagi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
- I'm pretty sure movement isn't usually a problem in LGPE. Try going into settings > controllers > calibrate control sticks. Don't know if it'll fix the issue but if the sticks are faulty that'll let you know at least.
- Correct, the hypothetical 2TB limit is hardware-based but there are no actual 2TB microsd cards yet. If you plan on having a ton of digital games, 256 or 512 GB should be enough. If you prefer physical games, honestly 64 or 128 is probably enough, at least for a while. I'd go with SanDisk or Samsung to be safe as those are reputable brands, though other brands should work as well.
- In Settings > Data Management > Manage Software you can see how much storage any piece of installed software is taking up. The Switch has 32GB built in, which doesn't go very far as many popular games are 5-10 GB or even more.
- Correct, the Switch Lite can only be hardmodded.

D

Deleted User

Since the game carts are also 32 gb, the largest game is only that. But I think Witcher 3 might have pushed it slightly over that mark somehow I can't remember but basically the largest game should fit on a 32 gb cart. Most games are 5-20. So yeah it would only take a few normal games to fill up your internal. I use a 512 gb sd card and it's more than enough and I play a lot of games unless your someone that wants like every single Switch game it should be enough or maybe 1 Tb at the most should definitely be enough. I can't imagine needing 2 TB, on average they're not near as big as PS4 games.

Especially if you're not even chipping your Switch I can't imagine needing more than 256 gb really.

Last edited by ,

Goku1992A

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you are buying from the eshop you need a 256gb sandisk SD card for good performance. I only have a 64gb SD card but most my games are on the cartridge

also you’re kinda SOL for a mod for the switch lite right now if you don’t know how to install a mod chip

Snomannen_kalle

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Lali ho!

After an especially ruinous trade-in run I finally managed to get my hands on a Switch Lite. Cost half my PS4 collection, an old phone and a bunch of other junk, but I got it done. Loving it so far, but I have a few quick questions if you'll indulge me.

- In the demo for Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee, the movement is alarmingly jittery. Character stops running for some reason. I did a quick search and found threads from about 2 years ago suggesting to resync the joycons, which is obviously not an option for me 'cause they're glued in. Was this issue ever patched in the full game? My daughter is adamant she gets to pet the Eevee, but if the damn thing doesn't work I'd rather just buy her a plushy and save the memory space.

- As I understand things the maximum MicroSD the system can support is 2TB, which I'm pretty sure is a purely hypothetical card since eBay turned up basically nothing that big. Any reliable ways of getting a decent sized reliable memory card at a reasonable price here in the UK? Any brands of SD I should stay away from? What kind of size do you think is good enough for the job?

- Downloading the NES and SNES functions, a couple of demos and Tetris/Pacman 99 killed half my onboard memory. Are Switch files really that huge? I doubt they're the same kind of deal as my PS4 games which are often over 100GB but 32GB doesn't seem like anything close to enough. Is there a listing for how much space things take up? I couldn't see anything on the eShop.

- From what I hear there's currently no way of 'soft hacking' a Switch Lite, correct? Only by installing some kind of extra chip or something? Bit beyond my skill level. Unless my info is out of date..?

Thanks for reading.
The game file sizes are listed at the bottom on the game page on the Nintendo website in case you want to check before buying a game -- e.g. Pikmin 3 Deluxe, which takes up 6.5GB according to the page. For some reason, I don't think all games are listed, however.

According to NintendoLink, the largest games for the Switch are around 40GB in size, but as was stated above, they are usually 5-10GB (the games I have are on average 8GB, the largest of which is 31GB and the smallest is 350MB). If you're buying physical games and you're lucky, the entire game is on a cart, but some games may require you to download parts of it before it is playable -- Wolfenstein II, for instance, has an 8GB download requirement to be playable

Tsukiru

Over the Eden
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I use a 128gb myself but I don't keep many games to start. Recommend keeping down on hoarding even after getting a memory card.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: :discuss: