Homebrew New to the Switch homebrew scene! Had a couple questions!

mmajunkie77

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey all! New Switch owner here, and also new to the Switch homebrew scene! Right out of the box, the console was on 4.1.0 and has NOT been connected to the internet yet at all. I'm curious if I should play a few games now, or not touch anything and wait until homebrew and playing backups can be done. I had a few questions about the process:

Obviously I need to block updates. By doing so, will this still allow me to play games like BOTW, Odyssey, MK8, ect? Or will it attempt to force a system update?

I'm also unsure if I will be able to access the eshop if I refuse to update?

I've seen a few guides around, but I'm unsure of which to follow. I was curious if somebody could link me to a 4.1.0 guide, if there is one available?

I've modded consoles before but the Switch is very unfamiliar territory, so go easy on me! I'm not concerned at all about emulation. As I stated before, my main goal is to play backups. I realize it may be a long way away, but I'm a patient person so I can wait it out! Can I go ahead and play physical or digital games, or just block updates and wait until homebrew/backups are released? Any advice or suggestions are seriously appreciated!

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey all! New Switch owner here, and also new to the Switch homebrew scene! Right out of the box, the console was on 4.1.0 and has NOT been connected to the internet yet at all. I'm curious if I should play a few games now, or not touch anything and wait until homebrew and playing backups can be done. I had a few questions about the process:

Obviously I need to block updates. By doing so, will this still allow me to play games like BOTW, Odyssey, MK8, ect? Or will it attempt to force a system update?

I've seen a few guides around, but I'm unsure of which to follow. I was curious if somebody could link me to a 4.1.0 guide, if there is one available?

I've modded consoles before but the Switch is very unfamiliar territory, so go easy on me! I'm not concerned at all about emulation. As I stated before, my main goal is to play backups. I realize it may be a long way away, but I'm a patient person so I can wait it out! Can I go ahead and play physical or digital games, or just block updates and wait until homebrew/backups are released? Any advice or suggestions are seriously appreciated!
you cannot access eshop or play games online when on an old firmware sadly so just follow this guide and wait https://switch.hacks.guide/blocking-updates

Rizzorules

"What are you doing?" "Something unexpected."
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
You can not access eshop unless you update to the latest firmware. You will be able to play those games since any of them require 4.1.0+. There are some tools to backup your games and in the near future we will be able to play roms with Team xecutes modchip / atmosphere

SirNapkin1334

Renound Aritst
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

https://switch.hacks.guide

mmajunkie77

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What about physical copies? Will it prompt an update? I'm assuming game updates have nothing to do with system updates, correct?

I'm in no rush to update anything. I'm super patient, and I'd rather wait it out until we have backups.

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What about physical copies? Will it prompt an update? I'm assuming game updates have nothing to do with system updates, correct?

I'm in no rush to update anything. I'm super patient, and I'd rather wait it out until we have backups.
physical copys of games still comes with system updates in the carts though so far the highest that has been reported in a cart is 4.1.0 so no worry yet

mmajunkie77

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
physical copys of games still comes with system updates in the carts though so far the highest that has been reported in a cart is 4.1.0 so no worry yet

Well that's refreshing to hear. I still may wait it out though. Would it be smart to just block updates, and wait until something is set in stone for 4.1.0 (as far as backups are concerned), then go from there? Either way, I'm excited to see what happens in the future.

D

Deleted-442439

I second what everyone has said, just don't add any network settings at all, that is the safest thing to do. You can still play games offline obviously.

A few things you should know:

-If a update downloads: Turn of the console, reboot while holding volume + and - keys to boot into recovery mode and delete the downloaded update data.

- Do not transfer update data for games from another Switch, certain updates requiring 5.0+ will update your system.

- if you want to mess around online SwitchBruDNS will block updates and let you use the internet browser, youtube, play HTML5 games etc.

Always remember that If you want any form of homebrew patience is key, 4.1.0 homebrew should be out sometime during this year, including Trustzone. CFW is also being worked on, but not much is known about when that will be ready. 5.0 does not have any known exploits being worked on as far as I am aware.

Adrian137

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I second what everyone has said, just don't add any network settings at all, that is the safest thing to do. You can still play games offline obviously.

-If a update downloads: Turn of the console, reboot while holding volume + and - keys to boot into recovery mode and delete the downloaded update data.

- Do not transfer update data for games from another Switch, certain updates requiring 5.0+ will update your system.

- if you want to mess around online SwitchBruDNS will block updates and let you use the internet browser, youtube, play HTML5 games etc.

Always remember that If you want any form of homebrew patience is key, 4.1.0 homebrew should be out sometime during this year, including Trustzone. CFW is also being worked on, but not much is known about when that will be ready. 5.0 does not have any known exploits being worked on as far as I am aware.

Thanks so much for your time for the response,

Can I ask whether is it possible for us to create link our Nintendo account if we use the switchbruDNS? (Just to view the total playtime in game)

D

Deleted-442439

Thanks so much for your time for the response,

Can I ask whether is it possible for us to create link our Nintendo account if we use the switchbruDNS? (Just to view the total playtime in game)

No problem! No, you can't use any Nintendo services, we block all the servers to be safe. You will however not have much use for it since you can't go online yet.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

mmajunkie77

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Wouldn't you have to add your network in order to block updates through DNS settings? Or just not adding a network, means no prompted updates? Not too worried about any online playing though, I'm more of a single player type. I'm completely cool with playing everything offline for now. But, as you said, patience is key. I have plenty of other games to play until then! It's well worth the wait.

Last edited by mmajunkie77,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: yea. lots of work I did :D +1