Hacking New to the scene, risks to be aware of?

Inexplicit

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I ordered a phat ps3 that comes with rebug 4.76. Before I even have it in my hands, I want to know if there's anything I should be aware of before potentially screwing everything up and losing the cfw. Are there any sort of safety precautions to follow so I don't install an ofw over it? I also intend to switch out the hdd with a laptop hdd I've had laying around for awhile. Thanks in advance

CheeseCake

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
http://gbatemp.net/threads/answers-to-the-most-asked-questions-on-ps3-jail-breaking.369241/#Z5

Yep.

Also it got covered somewhere else but when you do decide to update higher.
Remove game discs, they contain OFW updates on them.
Stick USB is rightmost port (closest to BD Drive).
Also turn off wifi in case you accidently goof.

"If you somehow have gotten PS3 CFW, NEVER UPDATE!!! TURN OFF AUTOMATIC UPDATING."
kinda obvious tbh

As for "Don't go on PSN too much with CFW. You'll eventually get banned off the Network."
there is a homebrew called PSNPatch that temporarily disables your CFW and this mitigates most of the risk of PSN bans but it's more like 90% safe.
Don't go on highly populated servers like CoD and GTA, that can actually turn into a ban.
If you want to play games online, mount game first with Multiman then disable CFW via PSN Patch. This way the game is still on the BD Drive and you can actually still play it.

For "Don't touch any of the other system folders in Multiman's File Manager unless you have to. If you're just playing backups File Path HDD0:// should be all you actually need to touch."
It's more like you might do an accidental brick of your PS3 if you delete the wrong things.
HDD is, in practice, the only thing you really need to touch.
Only time I had to touch stuff was setting up ReACTPSN but I followed instructions that were safe.

"Don't use homebrew like Multiman and others while signed on the PSN. Sign in after mounting games and other tasks"
This got solved by PSNPatch, the guide is old old. You do your shit first then disable your CFW.

Last edited by CheeseCake,
Reactions: Inexplicit

CheeseCake

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CFW has not changed much other than the addition of COBRA USB.
I added a disclaimer in the PS2 Classics related sections about not even having to do any of it if you use COBRA supported CFW

As for homebrew....yea I don't really use the new homebrew because I don't have any use for it.
aldostools' PS3 Tools Collection is dead now, he left the scene.
Might upload my older copy later.

Edit: I see something that can go well with MinVerChk
http://www.ps3hax.net/2015/10/release-ps3-console-compatibility-gui-v4-0/

My guide doesn't cover COBRA ODE because I don't own one. Can't exactly write about something I haven't tried.

Last edited by CheeseCake,

Inexplicit

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
http://gbatemp.net/threads/answers-to-the-most-asked-questions-on-ps3-jail-breaking.369241/#Z5

Yep.

Also it got covered somewhere else but when you do decide to update higher.
Remove game discs, they contain OFW updates on them.
Stick USB is rightmost port (closest to BD Drive).
Also turn off wifi in case you accidently goof.

"If you somehow have gotten PS3 CFW, NEVER UPDATE!!! TURN OFF AUTOMATIC UPDATING."
kinda obvious tbh

As for "Don't go on PSN too much with CFW. You'll eventually get banned off the Network."
there is a homebrew called PSNPatch that temporarily disables your CFW and this mitigates most of the risk of PSN bans but it's more like 90% safe.
Don't go on highly populated servers like CoD and GTA, that can actually turn into a ban.
If you want to play games online, mount game first with Multiman then disable CFW via PSN Patch. This way the game is still on the BD Drive and you can actually still play it.

For "Don't touch any of the other system folders in Multiman's File Manager unless you have to. If you're just playing backups File Path HDD0:// should be all you actually need to touch."
It's more like you might do an accidental brick of your PS3 if you delete the wrong things.
HDD is, in practice, the only thing you really need to touch.
Only time I had to touch stuff was setting up ReACTPSN but I followed instructions that were safe.

"Don't use homebrew like Multiman and others while signed on the PSN. Sign in after mounting games and other tasks"
This got solved by PSNPatch, the guide is old old. You do your shit first then disable your CFW.
Thanks a bunch for the reply, pretty much exactly what I was looking for. The guide will be a lot of help when I get started!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.