Hardware New to the PSP - memory card size?

protivakid

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I will be getting a PSP 3000 for my birthday. May be 9 years late to the game but my local Target has a bunch in stock for $99 so my girlfriend grabbed one for me. At that price I could not pass on the console mostly for a few JRPG's I want to play.

I learned I will need to get a memory card in order to save. Thought this would be an easy google search, even expected to find a page on sony's site listing all compatible models but I have been overloaded with information and can not get a clear answer. I see I can get a questionable microSD adapter and try my luck with those cards but for now want to ask about only officially supported Sony cards.

What is the largest Sony branded card the PSP will support on official stock firmware?

Better to go with Memory Stick PRO Duo OR a MSPD to M2 adapter with an M2 card from Sony?

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
32 GB is the largest one iirc.
You could opt for a Photofast (2 microSD's for into 1 MSpro duo) or you could opt for the M2 to MSpro duo)

However, I personally prefer just a regular MSPro, 4 GB should be more then enough.
If you hack your PSP and decide to make use of backups, then 16GB is plenty of space to store both games and save games etc.

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah i used to pirat....i mean backup games on my 1000 (don't have it anymore) and I had a 16GB MS duo it worked fine (was even a Sony brand of all things)

protivakid

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
32 GB is the largest one iirc.
You could opt for a Photofast (2 microSD's for into 1 MSpro duo) or you could opt for the M2 to MSpro duo)

However, I personally prefer just a regular MSPro, 4 GB should be more then enough.
If you hack your PSP and decide to make use of backups, then 16GB is plenty of space to store both games and save games etc.

The one I am getting is a 3000. If I were to entertain backups, do the 3000s still need to be re-modded each time you boot, or is that fixed by now?

Lumstar

Princess
Trophies
Website
eonhack.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
Standard types of Memory Stick went to 32GB, the high capacities are vaporware. Left PSP firmware able to recognize far beyond anything you can get.

M2 however wasn't all that successful so it stopped at 16GB.

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i got 32GB (photofast 2x16GB microSD) and it is more than enough. I used to use 16GB but I felt limited.

It will cost you like $35-40 for 2 16GB micros and about $4 for the photofast.

i see a lexar MSPD 32GB is $60 shipped to USA. I'm a cheapskate so I'd opt for the microSD.

vayanui8

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A couple weeks ago I picked up a photofast adapter bundled with 2 16 gig micro sd cards for 20 bucks on amazon. If you intend to play iso's on the psp I'd recommend that. Works great, and is substantially cheaper than any other method

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: 24,000 hmmmm lol