New To Android Tablet

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones and Media Players' started by WiiFit_Guy, May 12, 2016.

1. WiiFit_Guy
    OP

WiiFit_Guy Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 10, 2015
    Canada
    Recently just got an LG G Pad II 8.0 LTE tablet. This is my first android experiance and like the experience so far. Though this is my first time owning an android, I find it awesome that the play store has emulators and more apps.

I notice though that this android OS (Lollipop) has apps in the play store like virus protection ect. Since I owned an iphone most of the time, I'm not used to knowing which app would be the best for Virus and malware protection ect.

My question is, does anyone have advice for a first time android user, any apps to recommend ect., tips and tricks.

Thanks

Summery:
    -New to android (Got Android Tablet)
    -Any tips to share, best apps to have ect. (Virus Protection/malware protection ect)

Last edited by WiiFit_Guy, May 12, 2016
  2. mike a

mike a GBAtemp Regular

Oct 28, 2014
    United States
    I use avast myself,, but it's just ok
    get ccleaner, you have to change the settings of what it is going to clean or from stock it will delete most of your phone lol

get apptoid apps browser,
    and the apptoid app,, (the orange ones) search there if you want stuff in the playstore you are (supposed) to buy lol, and ppl give reviews such as if its infected or whatever ;)

WiiFit_Guy likes this.
  3. WiiFit_Guy
    OP

Newcomer
    Jan 10, 2015
    Canada
    I have Android OS 5.0.2. I was wandering if I can flash a rom with higher OS? Is it possible/safe?

4. nxwing

nxwing GBAtemp Addict

Jul 22, 2013
    Philippines
    The Capital
    You can as long as its built specifically for your device

5. ScarletDreamz

ScarletDreamz [Debug Mode]

Feb 16, 2015
    United States
    California
    Alright, here are the basics:
    First of all, root its a must, why because you can block ALL ads using MOAAB.
    So you will also need a recovery, Teamwin or Clockwork are ok, go with TW for his GUI.

Now, Custom roms: CM its always the more stable-ish you can find, however, CM has an issue with GAPPS, [Google Apps], that will make your battery drain a lot faster. even with the fixes and mods that you can find, yeah this is due the kernel wake locks, yeah it can be set to minimal, but wont fix it all the way.

Dont use antivirus, that things only slow your device, besides, the only virus that actually exist for android, its one that its distributed via APK installed and third party shady apks. the virus install bloatware to your device, as it install itself as a system app, and gives root privileges to itself.

So: Root your tablet, install a recovery, back up your system, install MOAAB, and you will be fine, in case you want something a little better, you can also, freeze or uninstall system apps while being a root user, or freeze them using titanium back up.

WiiFit_Guy likes this.
  6. WiiFit_Guy
    OP

Newcomer
    Jan 10, 2015
    Canada
    Thank you! How would I be able to get a custom recovery on the tablet though? Also I have an LG V497 tablet. Is there custom roms compatible with that?

Last edited by WiiFit_Guy, Jun 9, 2016
  7. ScarletDreamz

ScarletDreamz [Debug Mode]

Feb 16, 2015
    United States
    California
    here:

Here you can root almost any device:
    https://kingroot.net/

a little deeper explanation here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/android/apps-games/one-click-root-tool-android-2-x-5-0-t3107461

Also, you can check https://twrp.me/Devices/ in order to see if they support OFFICIALLY your device, if not, try to look around XDA.

in case KingRoot did not root your device, try this, http://www.iroot.com/ that works for almost 99.9999 of the devices not supported normally.

Kingroot and vroot/iroot are third party solutions for newbie user who dont know or want to flash stuff directly.

Last edited by ScarletDreamz, Jun 9, 2016