Hacking New to 3DS and flashcards

jakro

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I just bought a N3DS last month, and am looking at getting a flashcard. I'm doing some research on it and it seems the SKY3DS plus is the way to go right now. But what about the gateway?

I know with SKY3DS you need private headers if you want to go online, but what about gateway? maybe there is some more information about the sky3ds+ and online that I'm not aware of, but whats the best one for going online and buying DLC for the most part, as thats all I would use my 3DS for.

Thanks for the help

cooroxd

Dirty Pirate
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
First thing first, don't update your 3ds, and what is your current 3ds firmware? If your 3ds firmware is 10.3 or lower you can downgrade it to 9.2 and use gateway which is way better than sky3ds. Or after downgrading, you can install custom firmware like rxtools or reinand. Which is free and you don't need to buy a flash card.

Reactions: LameNobody

jakro

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
My N3DS firmware is 10.3.0-28U, so does that mean I should downgrade it to 9.2 and use gateway?

Also, how is gateway that much better than SKY3DS? I also read gateway cant be used on the New 3DS, unless that is wrong.

sweis12

Trophies
XP
Country
Saint Kitts and Nevis
DO NOT UPDATE PAST 10.3

You can get "gateway" abilitys for free by using RxTools/Reinand after you downgrade.
To prevent any risk of softbricking format the 3ds while offline before downgrading, AND use SafeSysUpdater to downgrade. It removes 99% of all the bricks/softbricks.

Last edited by sweis12,

jakro

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
is there a FAQ for all this?

Also, I still don't know why gateway is preferred so much over the sky3ds. I've read a little about CIA, does that mean I can go online with CIA installed games and download the DLC and not worry about getting banned and whatnot?

Is this the card I get? http://www.modchipcentral.com/store/Gateway-3DS-USA-CANADA.html

Also, if I want to use CIA files, is it recommended to get a bigger SD card? like a 64gb for GW and 64gb for my 3ds?

sweis12

Trophies
XP
Country
Saint Kitts and Nevis

Also, I still don't know why gateway is preferred so much over the sky3ds. I've read a little about CIA, does that mean I can go online with CIA installed games and download the DLC and not worry about getting banned and whatnot?

Is this the card I get? http://www.modchipcentral.com/store/Gateway-3DS-USA-CANADA.html

Also, if I want to use CIA files, is it recommended to get a bigger SD card? like a 64gb for GW and 64gb for my 3ds?
There is no reason to buy a gateway now.
There are free CFW alternatives that do everything gateway can do.

Il PM you and get everything set up for you.

cooroxd

Dirty Pirate
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

if you install games by CIA, you will never get ban since it doesnt require a header. Yes, you should get an SD of atleast 32gb since most games are 1 or 2gbs. If you decide to buy a 64gb, you have to format it to fat32 for it to be compatible with the 3ds. Gateway is better than sky3ds because it's future proof and you dont have to buy another sky3ds if nintendo finds a way to patch it. Gateway, give you more options like the ability to rip retail carts and backups.

Last edited by cooroxd,

wurstpistole

GBAtemp MVP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I just bought a N3DS last month, and am looking at getting a flashcard. I'm doing some research on it and it seems the SKY3DS plus is the way to go right now. But what about the gateway?

I know with SKY3DS you need private headers if you want to go online, but what about gateway? maybe there is some more information about the sky3ds+ and online that I'm not aware of, but whats the best one for going online and buying DLC for the most part, as thats all I would use my 3DS for.

Thanks for the help
What you want to do now is downgrade to 9.2 and then check into my tutorial which will get you completely set up for a cfw.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: I got this one - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DDHC5MV