Hacking New switch, had to update... what should I expect?

• Thread starter Deleted-172301
  • Start date
  • Views 4,577
  • Replies 13
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted-172301

OP
Yes yes, I have read the main thread, but I saw that we have a hardware exploit now?

What exactly should I do? It seems these updates are forced, and I was not able to see what firmware version I was on OOTB... so I had to do it. How do you avoid an upgrade?

D

Deleted-442439

OP
Yes yes, I have read the main thread, but I saw that we have a hardware exploit now?

What exactly should I do? It seems these updates are forced, and I was not able to see what firmware version I was on OOTB... so I had to do it. How do you avoid an upgrade?

Use search. The questions are already answered.

MochaMilk

That one weird Furry Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I think you could have used the recovering mode to get rid of the "update ready" thing, and see what firmware you were on. I think, don't quote me on that. ^^;
But I think you can also set your DNS settings to block future updates.

Reactions: MarkDarkness

Amingo

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I highly doubt that you "had" to update. It's basically you own fault since you shouldn't even have connected it to your WiFi in the first place.

Reactions: MarkDarkness

MochaMilk

That one weird Furry Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I highly doubt that you "had" to update. It's basically you own fault since you shouldn't even have connected it to your WiFi in the first place.
Maybe it is his first Switch and he just isn't familiar with how it works yet?
Nobody is really helping this person. Isn't that what this thread is for? Not to criticize him.

robak123

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Maybe it is his first Switch and he just isn't familiar with how it works yet?
Nobody is really helping this person. Isn't that what this thread is for? Not to criticize him.
you do not have to be a genius to know that most devices download updates themselves, for example Windows 10. He was not born yesterday

Naxster

Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I think you could have used the recovering mode to get rid of the "update ready" thing, and see what firmware you were on. I think, don't quote me on that. ^^;
But I think you can also set your DNS settings to block future updates.

Where can I find this DNS? I think I've found 2 of them... Which one is the correct? Please could you link it? :(
And also what is the correct step to enter the recovery mode and delete the "update ready" thingy? Should I turn the switch on completely and then launch into safe mode with power + volume buttons?

Or start in recovery mode and select "Update Now", and then click "Interrupt the process by pressing X????

I'm so confused :(

robak123

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Where can I find this DNS? I think I've found 2 of them... Which one is the correct? Please could you link it? :(
And also what is the correct step to enter the recovery mode and delete the "update ready" thingy? Should I turn the switch on completely and then launch into safe mode with power + volume buttons?

Or start in recovery mode and select "Update Now", and then click "Interrupt the process by pressing X????

I'm so confused :(

https://www.imore.com/how-block-firmware-updates-nintendo-switch-so-you-can-jailbreak-it

2s it took me to find information about dns in google or really can not use the computer????!!!!

TehCupcakes

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
  • There is an exploit chain for all firmware versions. Yes, your Switch is exploitable, despite having updated.
  • The exploit cannot be blocked with firmware updates. It's a bit technical to explain, but reputable scene veterans have confirmed this.
  • No, there is nothing for you to do on it as an ordinary end-user. FW 3.0 and below are the only ones that have access to launch actual homebrew at the moment.
  • Technically, you can boot Linux using this exploit, but it is very much not recommended at this point. The process is not user-friendly and you could fry your Switch hardware.
  • A CFW is in the works (Atmosphere) that will utilize the exploit chain mentioned which is compatible with all firmware versions. This will presumably open the doors for launching homebrew on FW > 3.0. I believe the release date was slated for June 15th. As always, have respect for the work hackers put in and don't pressure them to release sooner than it's ready, even if it gets delayed.
  • It is still not recommended to update any more if you can help it. While the exploit itself is not blockable by firmware updates, the method of entry may be easier/quicker on lower firmwares. Firmware updates could potentially block certain limited hacks in the future, but given that the current exploit is early in the boot process and opens the system to CFW installation, it seems unlikely that hacking will ever be blocked on the current hardware revision of the Switch.
  • On that note, it is to be expected that new Switch systems that have patched this exploit will start appearing on store shelves soon. Keep your current Switch. A new one is not guaranteed to be exploitable.

I'm sure I missed one or two things, but I feel like that is a pretty good summary of everything going on in the Switch hacking scene. To be honest, you could have found all of this information if you spent 10 minutes looking around the forum or on news sites that post about console hacking. Please search and look at other topics. The stickies are a good place to start, but take a while to catch up to recent developments. Most of this info you could glean from topics on the first page of this subforum.

Samus20XX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, you did not "read the main thread".

There is no main thread. If you actually decided to do the research yourself you would have started with the first stickied thread post literally titled "NOOB PARADISE". Literally THE FIRST post on this page. It says "ASK QUESTIONS HERE".

As for what you should do, work on reading comprehension. Cause if you can't be bothered to notice the first post or use the search function, then switch hacking is WAY too hard for you and you'll brick your console. I suggest asking the guy that does tiny soldering for help.

kurnis

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, you did not "read the main thread".

There is no main thread. If you actually decided to do the research yourself you would have started with the first stickied thread post literally titled "NOOB PARADISE". Literally THE FIRST post on this page. It says "ASK QUESTIONS HERE".

As for what you should do, work on reading comprehension. Cause if you can't be bothered to notice the first post or use the search function, then switch hacking is WAY too hard for you and you'll brick your console. I suggest asking the guy that does tiny soldering for help.

Wow. Come on man, don't be a dick. No one likes that. And yes, you are being a dick. You went out of your way to be rude. Sure he maybe should have read up on it more, but why go out of your way to be a jerk to someone new on the forums?

Thanks to everyone who's actually being a normal person in this thread. I found this thread helpful for my own questions.

Reactions: Goodolgamer1980

Resaec

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
[blah]Sure he maybe should have read up on it more, but why go out of your way to be a jerk to someone new on the forums?
I don't want to sound rude, but almost everything he stated he "read" from the threads was wrong.
There is nothing like a forced update, he didn't search for "stop update" or he would ended up at the recovery mode, where he would have found his offline OS version.

You are right we should be considerate, but after sooo many threads with always the same questions and answers...
With 60+ posts and a join date before most others still active, one would think that he understood how forums work by now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill