p_mantis

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Indonesia
Has anyone else here tried to run Homebrew on the DS(ONE)? I got mine today and am pretty disheartened to find that DSOrganize, ComicBook DS, and scummVM DS don't run at all.

EDIT: I guess the SC DS specific DSOrganize runs, but that's about it
frown.gif

The next Comicbook DS (ver 2.0) will support FAT,
hopefully it'll work on SCDS.

The sample comic for ver 2.0 did load using DS-X version
but the actual comic can't be displayed with an error message.

kazumi213

Trophies
XP
Country
no-brain·erÂ
Pronunciation[noh-brey-ner] Pronunciation Key
–noun Informal: anything requiring little thought or effort; something easy or simple to understand or do.Â

Nobody is accusing anyone of being a "no-brainer". It applies to a situation or concept, not a person/place/thing.

My mistake sidneyyoung. Sorry, please.

@kentoot. Thanks again. This was expected. And I agree: in case read speed setting becomes an important variable to deal with on a "per game" basis, having it saved this way in ndsinfo.dat could be a nice feature to ask for to SC team to be added.

@AI. I know you're being careful when doing your tests and you think before posting your conclusions. I like to think the other testers are doing their best also. So I supported my suggestion of being possible "fastest is not always the best" according to sarah99 recommendation. It seems (as you report) a white screen is a incorrectly chosen save size related issue, so white screens on Mario Kart are not reading speed related. I hope reading speed be a "set and forget" setting. Having to deal with unstabilities due to a high speed setting using the current config system could be a pain in the ass.

Keep on the good work.

kazumi213

Trophies
XP
Country

p_mantis

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Indonesia
I wish kentoot could confirm there is a "per game" speed setting. Otherwise correcting just save sizes would only partially fix the problem. According to a sarah99 recent post, it seems "fastest is not always the best". It makes sense, as this could be causing unstability and being the reason of white screens in Mario Kart for those getting them.

Well, I did try highlighting different games and then changing the SD speed setting & saving the option menu, but I think there's no change to the ndsinfo.dat file. For now I have to conclude that the SD speed setting is not game related, but pretty much a global thing, just as Sarah99 pointed out.
frown.gif

The SD speed setting, just like the other menu items (ICO Modality, File Sort, Language etc.), is being saved into a different file, menusave.sav.

For example, inside the menusave.sav file :

ICO Modality (address : 08 hex)
data at address 08 hex :
- No ICO : 00 hex
- Small ICO : 01 hex
- Big ICO : 02 hex

File Sort (address : 0C hex)
data at address 0C hex :
- File Name : 00 hex
- Time : 01 hex

SD Speed (address : 14 hex)
data at address 14 hex :
- 1X ~ 5X : 00 ~ 04 hex

I guess the SD speed setting can be game specific, it doesn't have to be a global thingy. But for now it's global.
frown.gif

I also can confirm it's global, the default speed is 3X even if you change the GLOBAL.INI file.
but you can manually change the speed using Option>SD Speed>
and after that Other>Save Menu Option
to save the menu configuration to menusave.sav

So far no problem encountered using Kingston 1GB 4x FAT32
Just tried 765 - Full Metal Alchemist Dual Symphathy, the file info says the save file is unknown
I change it to 64kb (info from dualscene.net) and it works.

kazumi213

Trophies
XP
Country
Nice to hear more good results. It seems that once understood how this device is supposed to work, problems keep being solved. I can't understand why not to include even a simple english triptic in the box explaining this limitations and how to solve them just form the start. It seems to me like they were trying to hide these in an effort to get to sell as many units as possible "before they realize".

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just played around with my SCDS for the first time. Most everything I played worked fine, except I'm having trouble with Yoshis Island and Kirby Squeak Squad. Could someone please give these a try, and if you get things running please let me in on what you did (if anything). I've read about setting the save size manually, but i'm not sure i'm doing it right.

EDIT: never mind i figured it out ... in the File Info window. doh.

I also noticed that bumping the SD speed setting to 4 got me the best playbakc of the Castlevania vid I've ever seen on a flashcart, but it "broke" SM64DS. Returning to the 3 setting allowed SM64 to play again.

ambitous21

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok i'm not really technical and good with all these stuff..
i just need a simple confirmation from someone

with the supercard DS (one)
i dont mind patching the rom, that is, using a software to transfer it into a playable file into the microSD right?
does these games work fine? mario kart, ff3, ouendan etc

thats all i need, i'm not so picky that i want a clean drag-and-drop
i dont mind patching, as long as it works.
so does most games work perfectly by patching?
and the save types, do u have to configure it everytime u play? or just once?

p_mantis

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Indonesia
I just played around with my SCDS for the first time. Most everything I played worked fine, except I'm having trouble with Yoshis Island and Kirby Squeak Squad. Could someone please give these a try, and if you get things running please let me in on what you did (if anything). I've read about setting the save size manually, but i'm not sure i'm doing it right.

I also noticed that bumping the SD speed setting to 4 got me the best playbakc of the Castlevania vid I've ever seen on a flashcart, but it "broke" SM64DS. Returning to the 3 setting allowed SM64 to play again.

Which microSD card did u use?
I'm using Kingston and it plays fine at 4x

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Which microSD card did u use?
I'm using Kingston and it plays fine at 4x

it's a Sandisk Ultra II. That's the only one I noticed so far to have a problem with 4X. I got two white screens, which I thought meant saver conflict. I'll check it out again tomorrow. It's 4:30 am here.

sarah99

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
@AI. I know you're being careful when doing your tests and you think before posting your conclusions. I like to think the other testers are doing their best also. So I supported my suggestion of being possible "fastest is not always the best" according to sarah99 recommendation. It seems (as you report) a white screen is a incorrectly chosen save size related issue, so white screens on Mario Kart are not reading speed related. I hope reading speed be a "set and forget" setting. Having to deal with unstabilities due to a high speed setting using the current config system could be a pain in the ass.

That's not my finding at all,
save problems usually result in a message saying "save file corrupt"
card speed settings mismatch is what causes games freezing on start.

I can create a white screen freeze every time on almost every game by selecting x5

kazumi213

Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks Hanafuda, p_mantis and sarah99. Very, very interesting comments. Speed setting is definitively going to be an issue depending on your media. By the way could you report if your uSD's are already used ones (with the flashkit you owned previously, with no issues) or are recently bought?

3DPiper

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, I've read the 20 pages.. But I still have one question:

What about GBA support?

Kidding! Just kidding!

rofl2.gif

Thanks so much guys for all of your work "reviewing" this card, I'll probably pick up a couple after Christmas..

-Matthew

crazyanz

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
I played for 2 days now with the supercard DS and all clean roms i tried so far worked perfect. They save good and no slowdowns or anything
smile.gif
sometimes when a game does have problems ill adjust the sd speed a bit and its all fixed
biggrin.gif
Only weird thing is that my micro sd card is bugged after i used it in the supercardDS ??? I have to format it in me camera so my pc can read it again.

sarah99

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Thanks Hanafuda, p_mantis and sarah99. Very, very interesting comments. Speed setting is definitively going to be an issue depending on your media. By the way could you report if your uSD's are already used ones (with the flashkit you owned previously, with no issues) or are recently bought?

Most of the games play perfectly if you have matched the microSD and the speed setting correctly. The actual effect of having a fast or slow card with regard to most games seems minimal if not non-existant. My cards are all fairly new.

ancient_imhotep

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

That's not my finding at all,
save problems usually result in a message saying "save file corrupt"
card speed settings mismatch is what causes games freezing on start.

I can create a white screen freeze every time on almost every game by selecting x5

Sorry, I should have made my posting clearer regarding the White / Black screens....

I actually got the info from the SC forums on the SC website and thought that they might be useful. None of my testing actually allowed me to confirm it as I have not encountered a problem with any of the games played (except crashing during play on Castlevania POR)..

As Sarah99 seems to have proved this to be incorrect, then I apologise for mis-guiding you all.

Cheers,

A.I

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: This parrot is no more it has ceased to be!