ROM Hack New Super Mario World - Spenstar Edition

Whats your opinion?

• I will play this, even if in the end, a Feather and Yoshi can't be hacked into the game!

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • I will only play this hack if a Feather/Yoshi is hacked in.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Spenstar

"Leave it to me"
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
demigod198 said:
Oh ya, another question, when you add music, will it be remixes of the SMW songs or the originals? I would prefer remixes but thats me.
It will mainly depend on who is doing the sound hack and what will be easier for them.

SixtySixHundred

Trophies
XP
Country
Spenstar said:
demigod198 said:
Oh ya, another question, when you add music, will it be remixes of the SMW songs or the originals? I would prefer remixes but thats me.
It will mainly depend on who is doing the sound hack and what will be easier for them.

Define 'remix'.
If I can get my head around this .sdat thing, had a good look at some links last night, (nice 1, Spenstar) and I think I can do it. I can either do 1:1 remakes or I can update the instruments to make them sound fresh, or I can completely rework the songs, with drums and funky new sounds. It all depends on how much memory I have to play with in the DS and how much ROM space I have.

@demigod198, listen to my Intro theme I made, it's a couple of pages back, and tell me what you think. I could 'techno' it up, but I run the risk of it sounding shit on the DS' speakers...

it'd be easier in that perspective, but if this hack does by some miraculous means incorporates the cape and yoshi, then that'll be a freagin giant achievement in NDS hacking, and future nsmb hackers willl be able to use it.
^Inspiring! I think an ASM hack to get Yoshi in the games isn't too mad, just complicated. It would open the gates to other ROM hackers making games with Yoshi in!

signz

Timelord
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
SixtySixHundred said:
Spenstar said:
demigod198 said:

Define 'remix'.
If I can get my head around this .sdat thing, had a good look at some links last night, (nice 1, Spenstar) and I think I can do it. I can either do 1:1 remakes or I can update the instruments to make them sound fresh, or I can completely rework the songs, with drums and funky new sounds. It all depends on how much memory I have to play with in the DS and how much ROM space I have.

@demigod198, listen to my Intro theme I made, it's a couple of pages back, and tell me what you think. I could 'techno' it up, but I run the risk of it sounding shit on the DS' speakers...

it'd be easier in that perspective, but if this hack does by some miraculous means incorporates the cape and yoshi, then that'll be a freagin giant achievement in NDS hacking, and future nsmb hackers willl be able to use it.
^Inspiring! I think an ASM hack to get Yoshi in the games isn't too mad, just complicated. It would open the gates to other ROM hackers making games with Yoshi in!
lol ya, something like Super Yoshi Bros.
biggrin.gif

Knyaz Vladimir

3DS Hacker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Spenstar said:
SOS-Rens said:
EDIT: GBAtemp should make a Hack/Homebrew follow system like Twitter
That would be awesome! I second that
smile.gif
I third this! This is a great idea!

Anyway, unless we get a working way to get ASM hacks, we can't have Yoshi. And the model in the Wii version is larger, so Yoshi will be large on the DS (and Mario's model is different, I dunno if you can have the memory for that).

SixtySixHundred

Trophies
XP
Country
SignZ said:
SixtySixHundred said:
Spenstar said:
demigod198 said:

Define 'remix'.

lol ya, something like Super Yoshi Bros.
biggrin.gif

Hmm, that's actually a fine idea. I'd play it! Well seeing as Mario has been using Yoshi as his bitch for so long, maybe Yoshi could go around riding on Mario for a damn change!
laugh.gif

Back on Topic: Spenstar, did you get to posting a Help wanted ad at Romhacking.net? I've been a member there for years so I can do it if you don't want/CBF to make an account. I would like to help make this hack better than the others. Well, that and I'd love to see Yoshi on the DS
smile.gif

demigod198

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
@SixtySixHundred - That is a real good song! I could use some techno, but I think that because it's for a remake of SMW where techno is nowhere to be found, and that it's for the intro, it doesn't really need it. Great song though!

Techno should be used in game where needed, like say in a boss battle or something.

ShadowFyre

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
frankly i'll be happy if only the regular goomba eating yoshi comes up. aiming for the different colored yoshis with special abilities would probably make the DS explode >_>

Spenstar

"Leave it to me"
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SixtySixHundred said:
Spenstar, did you get to posting a Help wanted ad at Romhacking.net? I've been a member there for years so I can do it if you don't want/CBF to make an account. I would like to help make this hack better than the others. Well, that and I'd love to see Yoshi on the DS
smile.gif
I created an account on their website but I still need the mods to approve it and that hasn't happened yet >_> So if you could do it, that would be awesome!
Thanks
happy.gif

EDIT: @SixtySixHundred
If you are going to take up the task of putting the SMW sounds and music into my hack, that would be awesome!
wink.gif

And about the possibilities of games if Yoshi comes about..
Games like "Super Mario World: Yoshi's Island 2" as such can then become a reality
smile.gif

SixtySixHundred

Trophies
XP
Country
Spenstar said:
SixtySixHundred said:
Spenstar, did you get to posting a Help wanted ad at Romhacking.net? I've been a member there for years so I can do it if you don't want/CBF to make an account. I would like to help make this hack better than the others. Well, that and I'd love to see Yoshi on the DS
smile.gif

I created an account on their website but I still need the mods to approve it and that hasn't happened yet >_> So if you could do it, that would be awesome!
Thanks
happy.gif

EDIT: @SixtySixHundred
If you are going to take up the task of putting the SMW sounds and music into my hack, that would be awesome!
wink.gif

And about the possibilities of games if Yoshi comes about..
Games like "Super Mario World: Yoshi's Island 2" as such can then become a reality
smile.gif

Well I'm nobody of any stature at RHDN, but I doubt they will refuse the request. A challenge like this should get people interested.
As for the sound, I can certainly make the music, but I don't know enough about the way the DS deals with sound in a ROM to be 100% sure if I can get the (.mp3/.wav) sound files into the correct format... I'm still learning though. I'm planning on starting my own hack to test some stuff tomorrow, I'm fairly confident I will sort it.

Just a quick thought, would the Yoshi sprites from Yoshi's Island DS be of any use? I know there's still the issue of getting them into NSMB, but it may be a start.

QUOTE(demigod198 @ Dec 5 2010, 09:15 PM)
@SixtySixHundred - That is a real good song! I could use some techno, but I think that because it's for a remake of SMW where techno is nowhere to be found, and that it's for the intro, it doesn't really need it. Great song though!

Techno should be used in game where needed, like say in a boss battle or something.
I used Techno as an example. I personally don't really like Techno, no idea why I said it!
laugh.gif
I have started jazzing up the Boss music already and given it a fairly heavy drums and a growly bass line that sounds good. I have to be careful not to make tunes too 'detailed' with things like intricate drum loops or deep bass lines as I will lose a lot of the quality thanks to the DS' crappy speakers and limited memory, after all, it's the game people should be paying attention to, the music should just enhance it.

Spenstar

"Leave it to me"
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SixtySixHundred said:
Well I'm nobody of any stature at RHDN, but I doubt they will refuse the request. A challenge like this should get people interested.
As for the sound, I can certainly make the music, but I don't know enough about the way the DS deals with sound in a ROM to be 100% sure if I can get the (.mp3/.wav) sound files into the correct format... I'm still learning though. I'm planning on starting my own hack to test some stuff tomorrow, I'm fairly confident I will sort it.
Yeah, if you can just post up the request and also give a link to this thread, that would be great!
wink.gif

If someone else comes up that has had a good amount of time and experience with adding sounds to DS ROMs, then you could just send that person the music that you did and the other person can insert them into the hacked .sdat
smile.gif

But if no one else comes up and says that they can do the sound hack, then I guess you can do double duty. Only if you want to.
happy.gif

SixtySixHundred

Trophies
XP
Country
Knyaz Vladimir said:
Just saying that your music needs to be a MIDI, MP3s and WAVs are not supported (outside of WAV as SFX and instruments)
Oh dear... MIDIs are ok for certain things, but I find that the instrument sets are sub-par. I am having a go at a sound hack today so I'll see what they sound like. If I get anything, I'll post a patch or something. Thanks for the info, even if it wasn't exactly what I wanted to hear.
smile.gif

EDIT: After some thought, and a poke round the NSMB ROM, this may be a lot more difficult than I originally thought. Before, (in my ignorance) it was a simple case of composing music, converting it to a compatible format and dropping it in the ROM. Now, due to the way the DS handles music, I may have to change at least some of the MIDI instrument set...

Anyway, enough thinking...

SavingPrivateBob

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well there goes my hack out the window
tongue.gif

But I'm glad because I have decided to rename my hack and some stuff has come up...your hack looks AMAZING. I wanna play it so I can't wait 'til your done!
Good luck!

Wabsta

you fight like a dairy farmer
Trophies
Website
www.wabsta.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
I do think this is awesome and wish you good luck with your project..
But I find the graphics a bit lame.
You should get someone to make the graphics more new super mario bro-ish, yet Supermarioworld-ish.

Spenstar

"Leave it to me"
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wabsta said:
But I find the graphics a bit lame.
You should get someone to make the graphics more new super mario bro-ish, yet Supermarioworld-ish.
Well, I'm happy with what I have so far with the tileset look. But if someone is willing to change up the tileset so it still has that SMW look but fits in with the NSMB Mario, then PM me and we can take it from there.

demigod198

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I found a lot of the backgrounds for SMW look quite similar to the NSMB backgrounds. Can't we just edit them slightly with color and add slight changes in design? I doesn't look all to difficult. (I might even do it)

Spenstar

"Leave it to me"
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
demigod198 said:
I found a lot of the backgrounds for SMW look quite similar to the NSMB backgrounds. Can't we just edit them slightly with color and add slight changes in design? I doesn't look all to difficult. (I might even do it)
I actually have all the original SMW backgrounds
wink.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I got a massive clue