NEW SUPER MARIO BROS Wii (controls)

Discussion in 'Wii - Console and Game Discussions' started by lostdwarf, Nov 13, 2009.

Nov 13, 2009
  1. lostdwarf
    OP

Member lostdwarf GBAtemp Maniac

United Kingdom
    1. what is the spin jump used for? (shake wii remote) i remember in super mario world you could spin jump onto enemys and bounce off them but
    in this game you have to be on solid ground to spin jump and i die trying to use it.

2. Also when you jump and then shake the remote mario spins slowly once... why?

3. last thing... why does mario encase himself in a bubble when you press A button? it makes us die... why would they do that? it must be for a reason.

2. OSW

Former Staff OSW Wii King

Australia
    1. Not too sure.

2. I think it has no real use - it is just for looks.

3. When you are in a bubble, you can't lose any lives, you only exit the level. So if you are certain to die (ie. falling into lava) you can use the bubble to prevent losing any lives. In 2P mode this is even more useful, because your partner can pop you out of the bubble and you continue playing the level (unless you are both in a bubble then u lose the level).

3. Master Mo

Member Master Mo F.R.E.E.

Germany
    1. In SMW you could "destroy" block under you but now we`ve got the "power-bomb" so I guess the only thing you could do with this is when having fire- or ice-flower you can attack in both directions.

2. It expands the jump if performed right. It is really useful when you`re good at it!

3. Don`t know... I think what OSW said sounds pretty good but I think the emphasis of this moves is more in multiplayer!

4. lostdwarf
    OP

United Kingdom
    thanks for the reply's and answers to questions 2 and 3.

It would be interesting to know what the spin attack is really for... it has to have a purpose other than firing in both directions with a flower suit... nintendo wouldnt waste time putting it in the game if it had no significance... there has to be a better reason... anyone buy this yet and have the instruction manual to check? I cant buy it till the end of the month.

5. BlueStar

Member BlueStar GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    You see the little mid-jump spin used at lot in the super skill hint videos you buy at peach's castle.

6. Fat D

Member Fat D GBAtemp Maniac

Germany
    You can also use the spin jump to get off Yoshi, like in SMW.

7. kodoku

Newcomer kodoku Member

United States
    The spin jump is used to delay your fall slightly, allowing you to stay in the air just a bit longer than usual.

8. razorback78

Member razorback78 GBAtemp Maniac

Philippines
    this guy is right. this trick is very useful when you are jumping next to a moving surface. very difficult to discuss in words its real function but you can use your star coins at peach's castle to view its different uses.

the spin is very useful only with special power ups...eg. to fly, to fire at two directions. i see no use of the spin when you only have the mushroom except for getting hidden coins, getting off from yoshi, and getting of from a freeze. if you spin in front of a flower, a coin will pop out.

regarding the bubble when you press A...no use other than clearing the stage by just floating around... [​IMG] what a nice way to beat a stage. [​IMG]

9. maduin

Member maduin GBAtemp Fan

United States
    the ground spin jump allows you to jump on an enemy and launch higher into the sky without having to press jump again (like a normal jump attack), and it comes in handy in later levels to clear away clouds that obscure your view.

10. Satangel

Member Satangel BEAST

Belgium
    When I press A, nothing happens.
    Or does it only work when you are going to lose your life?

11. razorback78

Philippines
    it works in 2 or more players. usually use it to save a life during a fall.

12. Satangel

Member Satangel BEAST

Belgium
    Aha, okay, thank you very much!

13. gogorman

Newcomer gogorman Member

United States
    Hello all,
    So maybe someone can help me.
    When you watch the Hint Videos you often see the character perform a somersault jump.
    As far as I know you are meant to shake the wiimote at the peak of your jump, but every time I try this, my character just does the spin move - never the somersault.
    Am I doing it correctly? Is there some other method you need to use?
    an you do it in multi-player? Or only single player?
    Any help would be great!
    Thanks

14. eliador2001

Newcomer eliador2001 Newbie

France
    Has anybody got some strange behaviour from the d-pad as if the wiimote was held vertically : i mean, this is very strange, i hold it horizontally as a classic controller but the d-pad functions as if the wiimote was held vertically (when i press up, mario goes ... up and not left !)

i feel dumb [​IMG]

EDIT : ok, you MUST remove the nunchuk then the wiimote/dpad behave correctly

15. razorback78

Philippines
    perform three consecutive jumps...the last one will be the somersault. usually do this in fast pace playing the game...i mean when you are running. don't forget to always hold on the "1" button while moving so you go faster.

16. lostdwarf
    OP

United Kingdom

Brilliant... Just found this out myself by accident. On world 5, spin jump onto a caterpillar from the ground and you will spin super fast and bounce so high you almost leave the screen! must work with nearly all enemy's but does not work off another players head.

Thanks to everyone. This is the best game ever made. My ps3 and 360 friends all love it too. 4 player is a blast. Best multiplayer on wii.

17. razorback78

Philippines
    yeah same here. everybody love this game. that's why it is really a must to have the original of this not only backup...this is to support the makers to make more games of this kind. mario again is number 1!

18. Satangel

Member Satangel BEAST

Belgium
    This game will sell millions, so my purchase wouldn't do that much good anyway.
    No, if you purchase a game, make sure it counts.
    Like if you want to buy a Wii game now, buy Anno Wii or PES 2010 Wii. Those games really need the support and the revenue, those games deserve it!

19. razorback78

Philippines
    i see the point. don't own those game though. i will try to check on those.

20. AceOfAces

Member AceOfAces GBAtemp Regular

United States
    1) The spin jump is used for... I don't know.
    2) You use the little spin in the air for a split second more air time.
    3) I use the bubble when I'm playing with more than 1 person. I turn into a bubble and let them do the work.