New Super Mario Bros. 2 to Kick Off Retail Downloads

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by beta4attack, Apr 27, 2012.

1. beta4attack
    OP

Member beta4attack GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    Hmmm I think that's a good thing! ^_^ I mean that way I don't have to wait to order it from a game shop or stop being lazy and go buy it from an actual shop lol XD

Source:
    http://www.nintendol...etail_downloads

2. BrightNeko

Member BrightNeko Popcorn ball

United States
    I hope this also springs great sales as well, like steam and PSN (sometimes) have :)

3. DeadLocked

Member DeadLocked Bi-Winning.

United Kingdom
    Looks like they'll be going similar to the Microsoft route then...
    Pricing their games at RRP for download and then never lowering them except for 10% off deals when they are years old.
    That means you'll be paying full price for the game as a download and then paying for the storage media to keep it on.

Only viable if you have SD cards to burn and live miles away from any games stores.

4. heartgold

Member heartgold GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    From what I understand is you buy a 16 digit code from a retailer and then download it from the E-shop!

Sounds good if DD is done by retail coz they can always have offers and discounts unlike Nintendo fixed prices.

Now waits for Foxi4 to complain about 3DS not having a method like the PSP to handle retail games download. e.g PC connectivity. :creep:

5. beta4attack
    OP

Member beta4attack GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    That's my case :( that's why it would be very useful for people like me.

6. TehSkull

Member TehSkull Living the life

United States
    Man...piracy on the 3DS is going to be so fun.

7. Costello

Administrator Costello Headmaster

I live thousands of miles away from any game stores :P
    I would like that feature like that!

1 person likes this.
  8. chris888222

Member chris888222 GBAtemp's Flygon Fan

Singapore
    well, no idea to act doesn't mean never.

at least now Nintendo gets decent online.

9. Zerosuit connor

Member Zerosuit connor Baby I'm Back ♥

Australia
    Yeah, how do you have internet

10. Master Mo

Member Master Mo F.R.E.E.

Germany
    I have several chances of being able to buy physical copies so no way I'm gonna pay for something that I can't put on a shelve! Even if it is a little cheaper!

Though for people who maybe like the convinience this is a good thing, especially since it is an option and not mandetory!

11. Hielkenator

Member Hielkenator GBAtemp Psycho!

Netherlands
    Agreed, also what about games being on super-outlet-sale-sondernangebot-uitverkoop?

12. heartgold

United Kingdom
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  13. emigre

Member emigre Has complex motives

United Kingdom
    Thank fucking God; Nintendo are catching up.

3 people like this.
  14. chartube12

Member chartube12 GBAtemp Addict

United States
    Cheap bastards have already fucked up. The last line means games are going to remain the same price and never drop. It is bull shit. Digital retail of content is never going to catch on if the price is more expensive. Nintendo is doing it wrong again.

15. RupeeClock

Member RupeeClock Colors 3D Snivy!

United Kingdom
    Ah, quite the conundrum now.
    I love the convenience of titles installed to the system, this is why I use my DS flashcarts at all.
    But I also want to have physical copies of the games for value.

Chances are, Nintendo won't have any sort of download voucher when you buy physical copies, as this would allow anyone to buy a physical copy and either keep that, or use the download code, and give the unused item to someone else.

So you either have to use the physical cart, or stick to an installed copy tied to an account, hmm.

There may also be filesize concerns. I don't imagine NSMB2 to be large, even NSBMWii was around 350mb, so it's ideal to download. But titles like Metal Gear Solid 3D are 4gb so they're far from ideal downloads with limited SD card space.

On top of all this, a digital copy of the game may not have the usual club nintendo stars if downloaded straight from the eShop, unless they figure to let you access your Club Nintendo account and do the survey business from there.

Anyhow, when it comes to NSMB2 I will probably download this one.

Hopefully they will figure to hold sales now and then...if there is anything that Steam has demonstrated it's the limited time sales lead to very impulsive buys, and coupled with a way to gift purchases to other accounts, leads to further sales booms.

16. ForteGospel

Member ForteGospel GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    remember that not every country has the same retail price, for me most of the games are about 80 dolars, so getting games at *retail* price of the eshop is already about 50% discount

1 person likes this.
  17. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    this is all well and good for peeps who have unlimited bandwidth but the rest of us get shat on and if their going to do this with the wiiu too imagine the size of the game downloads on that. they will be HUGE.

18. ferofax

Member ferofax End of the World

Philippines
    lower prices only works for digital-only releases. if they lowered the price significantly for the digital versions, they risk sabotaging the sales of those on physical media. digital releases serve only as an option, and the prices will make sure it stays that way. i mean if you told me that the digital version is a fraction of the price of retail carts, then me (and probably everybody else) will probably forget about buying those cartridges instead.

also, i'm not surprised at the turn of events. i have, to a degree, expected this to happen.

at most, what we'll get is probably, say, a physical game that's priced A, and then the digital version is priced probably a few dollars lower than A. retailers could do promo discounts to push their own sales on digital versions (which is pretty much pure profit), but it can't be significantly lower that physical stocks remain untouched. and the digital version can never be more expensive as well. that just sounds stupid, and if it did reach that point where a retailer is selling digital a few quids higher, then that only proves you're shopping at the wrong place. go shop online. (isn't eShop supposed to be already shoppable online? anybody tried it yet?)

19. chartube12

Member chartube12 GBAtemp Addict

United States
    But they save money on shipping and the price of the game cards in the process. also lowers used sales and their would still be a small market of those willing to buy cards for whatever reason.

20. heartgold

United Kingdom
    You do know that retailers will also be setting their own DD prices, think about the competitiveness between stores and online retailers, you will probably find some cheaper deals.

[​IMG]