New Slot-1 Comparison Guide!

somekool

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
very nice work there.
its pretty awesome to see all that information, very helpful.

but the products are getting so good. its still very hard to choose.

R4, EZ-Flash V, Supercard one and the M3 simply, seems all very good choice.

now, what do we choose, that's a hard one, doesn't it?

Verocity

Ö!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Looks like the R4 is the best overall for price and performance...thanks This is awesome!!!!!!
yaynds.gif

pelago

Trophies
XP
Country
What a great resource that comparator is, many thanks. It would be awesome to see that technology in the future used for other comparisons such as slot 2 cards, or passmes/nopasses, a bit like Qrayzie's existing PDF chart linked from http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=33429

A couple of things:

1, In the 'Physical dimensions' row, all the entries say 'Same as original DS cart' so there's nothing to really compare there. Maybe it would be best to use this row to look more closely at the issue - for example some cards have a bulge under the label where one of the chips sticks out. By mentioning those issues that row would then become useful.

2, In 'NDS homebrew compatibility' it might be good to change the DSLink's entry to 'Not great originally, but DLDI fixes it' to match the other entries.

3, What does the 'Uses loader or firmware' row mean? I always thought that, in the context of these devices, loader and firmware meant the same thing.

4, I agree with one of the above posters that the use of ticks and crosses is a little strange in some rows. Specifically, the 'Flashed DS required' and 'Splash screen' rows have nice green ticks where actually the red crosses are preferable, so maybe you could negate the row headings (e.g. 'Doesn't require flashed DS', 'Doesn't suffer from a splash screen').

5, Similarly, the row 'Connection to computer' doesn't really need ticks and crosses at all as neither is really 'better' than the other - it could just say 'via Onbard miniUSB port USB2' or 'via removable media' as appropriate.

6, Again similarly, the rows 'Built-in memory' and 'Removable media' rather than having ticks and crosses making it look like one method is preferable to another could just be combined into one row called something like 'Memory type' saying either '512 megabytes built-in memory' or 'MicroSD/Transflash'. You could also use this row to say the max size of SD card if appropriate.

7, It would be nice to see in the table which cards are side or top-loading for the removable media (with 'N/A' for DS-Xtreme). Again I would suggest that you don't put a tick or cross on this, as some people prefer side-loading (to protect the card) and some prefer top-loading (if they frequently change roms).

8, It would also be nice to see in the table which cards have spring-loaded or non-spring-loaded slots. For this row I guess you could use ticks and crosses as I think it's pretty unanimous that spring-loaded is better (although I suppose it's one more thing that could break).

Hope you don't mind all these suggestions!

Pikachu025

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
4, I agree with one of the above posters that the use of ticks and crosses is a little strange in some rows. Specifically, the 'Flashed DS required' and 'Splash screen' rows have nice green ticks where actually the red crosses are preferable, so maybe you could negate the row headings (e.g. 'Doesn't require flashed DS', 'Doesn't suffer from a splash screen').
How about green crosses and red ticks in these rows?

SirPoonga

Trophies
XP
Country
One thing I don't like about the comparison is a very low update frequency is made to look bad. Think about this, if you make a product that needs constant updating versus one that doesn't which would you take?

QUOTE said:
1, In the 'Physical dimensions' row, all the entries say 'Same as original DS cart' so there's nothing to really compare there. Maybe it would be best to use this row to look more closely at the issue - for example some cards have a bulge under the label where one of the chips sticks out. By mentioning those issues that row would then become useful.
Unless they review that slot 1 ninja card that wraps around the bottom.

gbasho

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i just wanted to know if you could add the latest firmware/loader revision into the list; that would be helpful to just pop in and check it there for the people that already have the cart.. i think

APPS

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Still no ninja ds? this card did seem relatively promising, also maybe a kind of overall column for the DSFire/DSLinker/Other ones that use the slot 2 writing device...

leetdude_007

Official GBAtemp Assassin That Has Never Killed An
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
awesome! I should have noticed this before, but I didn't. M3 Simply doesn't have as many features, but they called it simply for a good reason!

In any case, I'm sticking with it's simplicity and elegance.

mattdog1000000

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yeah... r4 definitely seems like the way to go, but it seems like this chart is rather outdated... would anyone advise buying the CycloDS Evolution at this point, or should I wait for some less expensive, better quality slot-1 card that supports download play over the r4 as it stands?

CyberDamon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bought a R4 and Kingston 2GB MicroSD (Japan)..will let you know what I think, once I have a chance to play with it (the R4 that is..hehe).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really think it's faulty (pasted 40/50gb+ folders and no write errors)
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    run h2testw on it
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    when SD cards/microSD write speeds drop below a meg a sec, they're usually on the verge of dying
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Samsung SD format can sometimes fix them too
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    yes looks like an faulty sd
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    @Psionic Roshambo i may try that with my dead sd cards
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    It's always worth a shot
    @The Real Jdbye, I considered that, but i'll have to wait until i can get the eu version in the mail lol
  • I @ I-need-help-with-wup-wiiu:
    i need help with nusspli failed downloads, can someone respond to my thread? pretty please:wub:
  • Sheeba- @ Sheeba-:
    I can't wait to hack my 11.00 PS4 pro
    Sheeba- @ Sheeba-: I can't wait to hack my 11.00 PS4 pro