yee

Trophies
Website
revscene.net
XP
Country
Canada
How did you guys get nesDS working?

A buddy of mine got a review kit for MobileMagazine, but he can't seem to get it working, haha.

I told him to try renaming it to .NDS extension, but still doesn't work he says.

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
OP
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have two questions that I don't think have been answered.

1. Does the DS-X work with the Action Replay DS or the AR Max Drive?
2. Is there anyway to get saves from real game cartridges to the DS-X? In other words, is there anyway to convert .dst/.duc saves to .sav so it'll work on the DS-X?
1. We are receiving a sample copy of the new slot 1 Action Replay DS soon so we can test compatibility.
2. I've already answered this before. As the DS-Xtreme compresses saves it may only be able to read saves compressed by its own method and not other save types - but we need to test this.

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
How did you guys get nesDS working?

A buddy of mine got a review kit for MobileMagazine, but he can't seem to get it working, haha.

I told him to try renaming it to .NDS extension, but still doesn't work he says.
I can confirm we got NesDS working!
here are the pics prooving it:
http://gbatemp.net/up/nesds.rar

just use NesDS as it says in the readme file:
1) Download ndstool.exe (the url is given in the readme)
2) put ndstool in the same folder as nesDS.exe
3) dont run nesDS.exe, but instead run make_nds.bat
4) add games then save the rom (as a .Ds.gba file) and the program will save both a .ds.gba game and a .nds game.
5) put the .nds file on the cart and run it.

thats exactly the same thing for all other flashcarts using .nds files... readme files are useful sometimes
wink.gif

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I did read the review and it's quite impressive. No flashcart to date has ever achieved this level of completeness and breack-trough features and got them right from day 1.
I don't want to sound like the most scheptical users, but obviously the high price and the limited amount of memory are the biggest cons. I personally would forgive the steep price in favor of an higher storage capacity, like the option to stick a micro in there for example.
I can say from experience, that even if you think that you have enough storage capacity now( and let's face it , 512MB ain't even that much right now for most of us) in pratically no time you'll feel outdated.
I remember when I got my Flash 2 Advance 256Mb pro a few years back and I thought that I had a lot of space.......now there are single GBA games bigger than that !
I mean without the option to upgrade the memory, I would not commit to buy anything these days.
But I'll be whatching this product for future updates.

slow down son...you got a 256mb card. This card is 4096mb. 16 times the space.

Exuse me, don't tell me to slow down, and stop commenting on things you don't know about.
I don't use a F2A anymore, I 've got an M3 and a SC plus a semi-working MK3 somewhere.
The point I was making is that even though 5 years ago 256Mb seemed to be a lot of space(or an adequate space at least) I found out later on that it wasn't just enough for me.
In fact today, some of the largeast ROMs would barely fit in there and I don't even know if things like Pogoshell or any other saver management/patcher would be possible to store at the same time with such a game.
That's why even though I 'd love to get a DS - X because it's probably the best cart out there, my mind tells me to stay away from unexpandible solution, and that's because of the experience I had before.
The DS-X is beautiful never the less, and I would buy it right away if I hadn't 3 or 4 flash kits already and my 2 DSL wheren't flashd already.

Mariodood

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Eh, the only thing that really impresses me about this card is that you can download from it without flashing the DS. I mean, they crammed a lot in there, but the memory is just too small. As long as you're going to be paying 120+ dollars for this, I mean, it might as well be pretty damn good. That's almost as much as a DS Lite! Right now I have an M3 with music, DS and GBA games on it, takes up over a gig..so I think it'd be best to wait for another. Another thing I really like about this is that it's not some crap-made Taiwan flash cart. Engrish really gets to me, and so do flimsy parts.

x_comp

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Just a suggestion but, maybe you guys should test the two new DS ROMs on the card since the two main flash carts have some tiny problems running them. That should give people a little more idea about what the compatibility's like
wink.gif

stinkingbob

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Antarctica
To arm73 and all the other "512Mb is not enough" people:

I respect your opinion and your belief about wanting more and more memory so you can fit 50 games on a flashcart. But for the regular people where 2-4 games will suffice, like myself, we are content with the ds-Xtreme. If you don't like it, don't buy it. Your choice.
Just do not keep repeating the same thing over and over again. We get the picture. You want more than 512Mb. We understand. Stick with your gba cart and passme to play your 50 NDS games on a cart. We will do just fine with only 1 Xtreme and 4 games.
B.

Moderators, please edit out text from those who keep on griping about how 512Mb is not enough lest this turns into a flame war.

VVoltz

The Pirate Lord
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi there guys, I think you review is kinda biased, thats the truth. But it seems that the little DS-X really works as it should, I'm ordering a pair tomorrow.

THanks a lot for the info guys!

yee

Trophies
Website
revscene.net
XP
Country
Canada
To arm73 and all the other "512Mb is not enough" people:

I respect your opinion and your belief about wanting more and more memory so you can fit 50 games on a flashcart. But for the regular people where 2-4 games will suffice, like myself, we are content with the ds-Xtreme. If you don't like it, don't buy it. Your choice.
Just do not keep repeating the same thing over and over again. We get the picture. You want more than 512Mb. We understand. Stick with your gba cart and passme to play your 50 NDS games on a cart. We will do just fine with only 1 Xtreme and 4 games.
B.

Moderators, please edit out text from those who keep on griping about how 512Mb is not enough lest this turns into a flame war.

Well, the DS-Xtreme, can probably fit around a dozen or more DS games of various sizes. (I've managed to fit about more than 2 dozen games on my 1GB SD card with my M3).

So I don't get why all these people keep complaining, although I do see a reason if they're using it also for videos.

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
Hi there guys, I think you review is kinda biased, thats the truth. But it seems that the little DS-X really works as it should, I'm ordering a pair tomorrow.

THanks a lot for the info guys!

Biased means we have not been objective. Where have we not been objective?
Also read this: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=36984

Also:
stinkingbobTo arm73 and all the other "512Mb is not enough" people:

I respect your opinion and your belief about wanting more and more memory so you can fit 50 games on a flashcart. But for the regular people where 2-4 games will suffice, like myself, we are content with the ds-Xtreme. If you don't like it, don't buy it. Your choice.
B.

Moderators, please edit out text from those who keep on griping about how 512Mb is not enough lest this turns into a flame war.
Of course we cannot edit people's post. They have the right to think and to say that 512 MB is not enough. The DS-X team does read GBAtemp and perhaps it will make them realize that a lot of people actually want a bigger version or a version with removable media. Removing this kind of comments would be on the contrary an act of "bias" don't you think?

ften

Trophies
Website
fathertom.net
XP
Country
Bulgaria
I see that the DS-X has good homebrew compatibility, but is there any noticeable speed difference between the slot 1 and the GBA slot flash when running say SNEmulDS, Moonshell, DS Organize, Etc... As the Slot 1 has a slower read write access time. Although this could be totally off base and a stupid question, but then I’ll have learned something.

-FTen

g.crow

beide mittelfinger hoch
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
could one of the reviewers check out if trimmed roms do work?
yeah, why they should not work, but could you get sure?
thanks in advance

mars

5uck3rpunch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
shaun, one question I do have is:

In the screenshots I see a cool little graphic for each game. Do you, as a user, have to add them or does the cart pick them up from each ROM in the cart somewhow?

One other thing too:

Was is easy to skin this thing & what did you use to do it?

Thanx in advance Chief!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @realtimesave, Sup