New Review - AceKard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
I do like the Acekard for its great compatibility and the fact that it's "future proof". That's really a good thing.
But in my everyday life I won't be using it. It's not easy to use and the software is instable.
And I can't test my DS homebrew on it... I really need that feature to develop DS apps.

The fastest way for me to play a .nds (homebrew or game) is to open the .zip, drag & drop from winrar to my dsx, put my dsx in my DS and turn it on. That's priceless for me when it comes to flashcarts.

stop_loading

Trophies
XP
Country
DS-X is today for the NDS as the X-ROM was for the GBA.
Both groundbreaking. Both revolutionary.
Go DS-X!!

wow a ds-x fanboy

ds-x is pointless, you spent over $120, have unupgradeable 512mb memory, have no gba support, and heck more or less the same compatibility as the top slot 2 solutions, what's the point of slot 1 solution if it required continuous nitpicky update for their roms just like slot 2 solution

i would rather get m3l/scl, it's cheaper, you use microSD which can be used elsewhere, and heck the same compatibility as DS-X

acekard on the other hand, definitely has a point, it boosts 100% compatiblity and future proof (untill proven otherwise), now that's an advantage over slot 2 solutions

Stop_loading, we all knew before DS-X hit the market that the memory could not be "upgraded". For me, 512 is fine. No, I don't need to put 50 games, 100 music files and 2 movies on my card to play on my nds. Now, so far, there has been 1 (one, uno) update to the ds-x firmware that addressed SOME games not working. Now, if you take a look at the list, 99% of the games work. Also, being a slot 1 solution, I already know it does not play GBA games. Name 1 slot 1 device that does.
Lastly, if you think the AceKard is better than the ds-x, buy it! Just don't come crying back to the forum askiing for help because you are getting errors or you can't find a saved game!
And as far as the AceKard team member who posted things on here: oooookay. My question for you is this: why iin the hell didn't you address the problems with the AceKard(or at least have someone beta test it) before you released it on the market? Only after Shaun did YOUR job, did you decide to adress the issues. Why should we trust that you will be doing any fixes to the AceKard. Sorry, but your actions so far make it hard for me to trust that you will really support the AceKard.
I do not have a bias towards DS-X. I just call it like I see it and so far, DS-X is the best and only slot 1 solution that works. Period.

It looks pretty odd to me that you seem don't like Acekard a lot. I gotta say it's not a perfect product in many aspects, but some ppl like it and Stop_loading is one of them. And I havn't seen him said anything about you gotta buy this one or anything implying that, it's just a personal preference. Same as you like DS-X, but from this post, it looks like you treat Acekard as an enemy somehow, I wonder why? ;p
BTW, 100% titles compatible is not a selling point? What do you think? ;p
I'm not here for fighting or anything. But hey, DS-X works and Acekard works fine too, right? And let's just wait for more tests like battery life and etc. And see if the team could update the software as they claimed, OK?
yaynds.gif

looks like he's scared of acekard to me, he spent all that money ($120) for compatibility more or less equal to a supercard rumble, so basically he's paying extra $50 for drag and drop and LED lights, with addition on un-upgradeable memory. i take removeable media over embedded memory any day. he's just trying to justify his buy by advertising the product.

and i definitely wait if they really update the acekard client, i mean supercard wasnt perfect when it came out, m3 was ugly when it was 1st came out, and ds-x have some trouble saving when it came out (and it still have problems with some games)

and you know what, he's the one who's going to end up crying back into a forum because it can't run a certain game
rofl2.gif

Noobix

Trophies
XP
Country
Well so far Acekard has lived up to its claim...the 100% compatibilty is the deciding factor for me!
bow.gif

For a brand new cart from a new team this is indeed impressive. The software will be improved in time (Like every other flashcart), but the fact that I can use it to replace my EZPass3 makes me really happy.

Having an Acekard rep. posting here is awesome stuff....please keep it up!!!

No doubt the software will be improved in time (Skinning etc), but they already have moonshell running and that's all I really wanted!!!

Coupled with my EZ4 lite I'll have 4GB of storage, and be future proofed into the bargain!
grog.gif

Now all I want to know is how soon can I get some, and from where?
wub.gif

PS - What was the point of posting the Acekard battery test with nothing else to compare it to ? It just gives it a negative spin.
unsure.gif

CronoTrig

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
You realize that the only reason an AceKard rep posts here is because their official forums are all Chinese. If you would visit the official DS-X forums, you would see that an AceKard rep visiting these forums and answering a few questions (in TERRIBLE English mind you), is nothing out of the ordinary. Not trying to bash or promote any card over the other; I just thought people might like to know that this 'great service' some people are talking about (again, in very confusing and uninformative English), is not that 'great' when compared to other companies.

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
We ARE running battery tests on the DSLite now! and posting the results in real time!

Just to clarify, I meant that if you have more than one DS lite you should always use the same unit for the tests. Same with the SD cards. Different units of the same brand & model may not have exactly the same power draw, and the condition of the batteries in different DSes could be an even bigger factor.

I do appreciate the work you guys are putting into this. Battery life is a big factor for me.

QUOTE(Noobix @ Nov 28 2006, 02:48 PM)No doubt the software will be improved in time
It seems to me that this is in fact the single biggest doubt about the Acekard. They might improve the software greatly, and continue to update it for a long time. Then again, they might update it once. Ever. Their claims don't matter; only time will tell.

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
OP
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
We ARE running battery tests on the DSLite now! and posting the results in real time!

Just to clarify, I meant that if you have more than one DS lite you should always use the same unit for the tests. Same with the SD cards. Different units of the same brand & model may not have exactly the same power draw, and the condition of the batteries in different DSes could be an even bigger factor.

I do appreciate the work you guys are putting into this. Battery life is a big factor for me.
Yes we are using the same Nintendo DS Lite, same micro SD card and same test settings every time.

The only thing that changes is the card being tested. EVERY other condition stays the same, otherwise, of course, the tests would be inaccurate.

fishsticks

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
destructobot said:
It seems to me that this is in fact the single biggest doubt about the Acekard. They might improve the software greatly, and continue to update it for a long time. Then again, they might update it once. Ever. Their claims don't matter; only time will tell.

Likewise, I think it's the same with the DS-X and actually with every flash solution out there. I think the slot2s, like G6/m3, supercard, etc. has improved their software and products over time, and thus proven their credibility. Perhaps, in 6 months, we can really decide on which card is more better based on their updates. at this point, I think both of them have pros and cons that have to be ironed out. Right now, I'm kind of leaning towards the AceKard, besides being based on the price, compatibility and removable media, it's also based on what the DS-X team did in the past, if you remember "• Two members of the DS-X team have asked us to spin a rating of the NinjaDS which we are currently reviewing in an attempt to promote their product. ", i think speaks enough of their team.

stop_loading

Trophies
XP
Country
You realize that the only reason an AceKard rep posts here is because their official forums are all Chinese. If you would visit the official DS-X forums, you would see that an AceKard rep visiting these forums and answering a few questions (in TERRIBLE English mind you), is nothing out of the ordinary. Not trying to bash or promote any card over the other; I just thought people might like to know that this 'great service' some people are talking about (again, in very confusing and uninformative English), is not that 'great' when compared to other companies.

his native language isnt english, the team are not here, they're in china, you have to appreciate those who take the efford to post here, I were them, with these moaning whining ds-x lovers around, i wouldnt even bother supplying answer or even supplying NA with the card

with the high price of ds-x, that alone create defensive fans (not you, but you know who i'm talking about)

QUOTELikewise, I think it's the same with the DS-X and actually with every flash solution out there. I think the slot2s, like G6/m3, supercard, etc. has improved their software and products over time, and thus proven their credibility. Perhaps, in 6 months, we can really decide on which card is more better based on their updates. at this point, I think both of them have pros and cons that have to be ironed out. Right now, I'm kind of leaning towards the AceKard, besides being based on the price, compatibility and removable media, it's also based on what the DS-X team did in the past, if you remember "• Two members of the DS-X team have asked us to spin a rating of the NinjaDS which we are currently reviewing in an attempt to promote their product. ", i think speaks enough of their team.

i agree, g6/m3 and supercard team have proven overtime that they provide great support, especially m3 with frequent updates, ds-x did one update so far... not impressed, acekard need to prove themselves as well

ds-x team asked that? really? that's just low

hksh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland

First of all, I gotta say that I may look like defending the Acekard all the time, it's just because I am from the same country that made the card and I like the product quite much;p

Yep, I agree that LANGUAGE is a problem for you guys, only Chinese forum, the software is in Chinese too. And the official people's English might not be as perfect as yours. But at least you might look at the other side that they are really trying hard to try to let you guys know about the product and understand the problems one way or another. Can I say that why you cannot speak or read such a great language as Chinese? I don't think that's fair for you too, right? I just do not like you criticize on this NOT PERFECT English a lot because it's Chinese, nothing else
biggrin.gif

BTW, I can some how amazingly read Chinese;p(what an odd ;p), if anyone has any question regarding the language issue, it'll be my pleasure to help.

Let's see how the battery test going, from my experience, my DS works quite fine with the kard,hehe.

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
destructobot said:

Likewise, I think it's the same with the DS-X and actually with every flash solution out there. I think the slot2s, like G6/m3, supercard, etc. has improved their software and products over time, and thus proven their credibility. Perhaps, in 6 months, we can really decide on which card is more better based on their updates. at this point, I think both of them have pros and cons that have to be ironed out. Right now, I'm kind of leaning towards the AceKard, besides being based on the price, compatibility and removable media, it's also based on what the DS-X team did in the past, if you remember "• Two members of the DS-X team have asked us to spin a rating of the NinjaDS which we are currently reviewing in an attempt to promote their product. ", i think speaks enough of their team.

good points, both of you. I hope their claims are true (of the improvements to the software), and if so i will purchase the card.

ps: i just checked over at yyjoy, and it looks like acekard has a new look and mould.... more on that soon....

stinkingbob

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Antarctica
Stop_loading, you are missing the point of what I was trying to make. But first, you never did answer the questions I put forth to you in my response to your post. Are you scared to answer them?
I am neither for the ds-x nor against the aceKard. I basically am looking at the advantages and disadvantages of each. And after tallying things up, the ds-x is the clear winner so far.
I will admit that if the acekard works out all the kinks and improves the software, then I will say to buy the AceKard. But until that time comes, I will recommend the ds-x.

deathspawn999

Trophies
XP
Country
I do like the Acekard for its great compatibility and the fact that it's "future proof". That's really a good thing.
But in my everyday life I won't be using it. It's not easy to use and the software is instable.
And I can't test my DS homebrew on it... I really need that feature to develop DS apps.

The fastest way for me to play a .nds (homebrew or game) is to open the .zip, drag & drop from winrar to my dsx, put my dsx in my DS and turn it on. That's priceless for me when it comes to flashcarts.
quoted for truth. ease of use is the reason why people use stuff. if not, apple wouldnt be selling millions of ipods. windows wouldnt be the #1 OS. etc. there may be other products out there that are cheaper, offer better things, but they arent easier to use. the ds-x offers the most easiest (yes i said that on purpose) thing ever. download, drop it onto the USB device, play. you cant argue with that, and the price is worth it imo.

hksh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland

quoted for truth. ease of use is the reason why people use stuff. if not, apple wouldnt be selling millions of ipods. windows wouldnt be the #1 OS. etc. there may be other products out there that are cheaper, offer better things, but they arent easier to use. the ds-x offers the most easiest (yes i said that on purpose) thing ever. download, drop it onto the USB device, play. you cant argue with that, and the price is worth it imo.

May I ask what's the difference between copy a file from your harddisk to a Sd card via Akmanager and copy it in your DS-X card in Windows Explorer under the same port(USB 2.0)? If there's any speed difference or inconvenience , pls let us know ;p

trebus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Using AK manager needs an extra click of a mouse and also needs to bear with setting options and stuff. People want something which is simple as copy and pasting as they cannot afford to waste the extra energy and time to click open another program to put in a game.

So in other words, easier=better

Gestahl

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
I dunno, my M3GameManager doesn't bother me one bit. And before copying the game to the card I have to set numerous options there, mind you. Anyway I spend two minutes writing the game then 30 hours playing it so go figure...

-EX-

Racer
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
- Proprietary AceKard file system causes more problems than it solves
- Need to use buggy client software (Windows only) to transfer ROMs
- Doesn't auto detect game save types - need to wait for software updates to play the latest games or set the size manually (requires research)
- Some slowdowns occur in games even using an Ultra II Sandisk - the AceKard requires specific micro SD cards for best compatibility results
- Low download play (single cart multiplayer) support
- Poor build design means it's a tight fit in your DS slot
- GUI is not customisable
- Lack of extra features
- Very low homebrew compatibility
QFT. Enough for you? You CAN'T deny any of this. This flashcard fails, miserably.

DS-X FTW. It has drag and drop, clean roms, no stupid self-made file system (Acekard doesn't even support file fragmentation, remember it), great support in native English, homebrew, high quality of the build and etc, etc. Undeniable.

You're bitching just because you don't have enough money to afford it. But it doesn't justify this flame war.

And mind you, I'm not biased, I'm just stating facts as they are.

hksh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
Using AK manager needs an extra click of a mouse and also needs to bear with setting options and stuff. People want something which is simple as copy and pasting as they cannot afford to waste the extra energy and time to click open another program to put in a game.

So in other words, easier=better

So you don't need any software or program to copy and paste in DS-X? May I ask what is a Windows Explorer to you? Is that some kind of program or software you mentioned? And what's the difference between click on My Computer or AKmanager? Besides, you cannot even afford a single click of engergy? I thought it'll be better maybe you just forget about playing games, that costs too much engergy and time for you I presume?

BTW, to -EX-:
Yep, i agree with you with the homebrew part, but isn't game the first priority as a gamedeck? Like if a cellphone cannot make phone calls properly, it's not a good one no matter how strong the OS is, agree?
And if 100% compatibility and clean rom support is not something better than DS-X on this issue only, I just cannot understand your point!
About price, it seems that Acekard is much cheaper than DS-X, or 40$ is more than 100$?(sorry about my poor maths, or there's different ways of caculation you have in States?)

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The issue is not that using a program to load the roms is a problem, it's that the Acekard software currently (apparently) sucks ass. The software is unstable, it occasionally reformats the SD card without asking first, and it does not have the features it need to mitigate the problems caused by the new filesystem. The real question is will they fix it, and how soon.

As far as drag & drop being more convenient, I don't buy it. There's a guy on the DS-X forums writing a program to modify roms with the features that the G6, M3 and Supercard software have built in. If you need to run a seperate program to trim your roms and add soft reset, the convenience of drag & drop disappears.

The real benefit of drag & drop is simply Mac and Linux compatibility.

Hypnotoad

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
...it's also based on what the DS-X team did in the past, if you remember "• Two members of the DS-X team have asked us to spin a rating of the NinjaDS which we are currently reviewing in an attempt to promote their product. ", i think speaks enough of their team.

ds-x team asked that? really? that's just low

Yup... you can read about that one right here: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=36984

classic.

-EX-

Racer
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
hksh,
Learn to read posts. AceKard has its own stupid gimmickish file system, it's a big minus, especially with the lack of fragmentation and buggy software.

And about prices. Are you blind? I meant DS-X, not AceKard. The only real "minus" about DS-X is its price, though I think it's worth it, atleast for me, I've already preordered it.

Anyway, if you want to defend your product so badly, then try to disprove the cons given in the review (which I also quoted for truth).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: https://torrentfreak.com/one-nintendo-dmca-notice-just-wiped-out-8535-yuzu-emulator-forks-240502/