Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I thought DSX has no slowdowns?

If it does, does that make G6 Lite the only cart with no slowdown at all and the closest thing to a real cart?

Some people 'claim' that sometimes menus/loading/saving is slow, although that might also be true for the original cart as well. From ym experiences whenever I have experienced slowdown with my DS-X, the same slowdown is experienced on normal carts (Contact, Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam, Jump Ultimate Stars).

martin88

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks for the info.

So DS-X's internal memory is fast enough to behave just like a real game card. Good to hear.

stop_loading

Trophies
XP
Country
DS-X is today for the NDS as the X-ROM was for the GBA.
Both groundbreaking. Both revolutionary.
Go DS-X!!

wow a ds-x fanboy

ds-x is pointless, you spent over $120, have unupgradeable 512mb memory, have no gba support, and heck more or less the same compatibility as the top slot 2 solutions, what's the point of slot 1 solution if it required continuous nitpicky update for their roms just like slot 2 solution

i would rather get m3l/scl, it's cheaper, you use microSD which can be used elsewhere, and heck the same compatibility as DS-X

acekard on the other hand, definitely has a point, it boosts 100% compatiblity and future proof (untill proven otherwise), now that's an advantage over slot 2 solutions

Wow, an AceKard fanboy. Do you realize how stupid you sound? AceKard has the same (few) problems DS-Xtreme has: slowdown in SOME games and non-working download play in SOME games. Not TRULY 100% compatible. DS-X is also future-proof (until proven otherwise); have you seen any new games not working on it? That's what I thought. Now please take your bashing elsewhere, maybe go bash your head on the wall or something.

i didnt praise acekard like he praised ds-x, have you seen his post lately?

looks like acekard has minimal problem, one being slowdown, and two download play, assuming you pick the highest compatible card, it should fix the slow down problem, this review only used the speed marked as 7, that leaves the download play alone, which isnt a big deal

ds-x is not future proof, look at this compatiblity

http://wiki.scorpei.com/index.php/DSX_compatibility_list

2 games dont work (didnt count multiplies), some games have slow down (and since the 512mb is embedded you can't do anything except wait for updates), some games runs ridiculously slow (spyro) and some games crashes in t he middle (castlevania).

even some games that worked in previous firmware dont work in the new firmware (animal crossing)

in no way that thing is "future proof", too much problem to deal with

now i havent heard games that don't work on acekard (it's only chinese so makes sense), it's possible of course, but until then, it sounds really promising

acekard

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
Thank those who focusing on AK these days.
We're a brand new team and we have lots of things to do to promot our product.We're appreciate for those who choose our product.And we'll try our best.

I would like to explain some issues below.If there is any mistake please let me know.Thank you.
And if you have any questions you can email us or post a thread in our BBS.And BBS is more effective.
smile.gif

Here is our official BBS:
http://bbs.yyjoy.com/forum-77-1.html
http://www.acekard.com/bbs/

I'm sorry those BBS are in chinese.You can register here:
http://bbs.yyjoy.com/register.php
http://www.acekard.com/bbs/register.php
And the textbox in chinese is:
UserID;
PassWord;
PassWord again;
Your Email;
Press the button below to finish register.

Please feel free to post your topic,thank you.

================================================================================
=======

Cons
Operating systems do not natively support AKFS, external software is required
--This software is very small and it's green.
The AKFS manager software is only supported by Windows
--We're going to support more OS in future.
File fragmentation is not possible (see the article after the review to understand the problems that it generates)
Files can not be moved
--Files in TF card can be removed.And function of moving can be supported if there is any requirement.We'll promote our product in future.
The AKFS does not support folders, all files are placed at the root
--This is just a matter of time.We'll promote our product in future.
The AKFS does not include information on files (date of creation/modification, attributes, ...)
--If you just play game and use moonshell then we thought maybe this feature is not necessary.But this function can be added if our customer have a requirement.

Why are these read speeds so important? For DS game compatibility?
--Yes.
This doesn't seem like a pertinent explanation seeing as there are already several slot-1 solutions using removable media (DSLink, NinjaDS, X9...).
--DSLink can't use clean rom which means that you may not play a new game as soon as the rom is released.
As i know,NinjaDS also need patched rom.
X9 also need to select save type.And they use a file to restore save type of each game and you need modify that file to meet new game.AceKard support choose save type from AK menu before you launch it.And after that the save type will be restored.And we'll update default save type list when every new rom is released,then you don't need select save type.Before we update savelist.bin you can find the save type in offlinelist.
X9 do not claim they support 100% clean rom until now.
The format time for AKFS is very fast.It's about 2 or 3 second.And you can reformat it as FAT if you wanna use it on other device.
If there is any mistake above please tell me.Thank you.

Because of this, the AceKard is thicker than a regular DS game cart.This shouldn't really alarm you as I highly doubt this could break the DS slot, but it is noticeable.
--We've already promoted the shell of card.The new version is better than the one we send to you.And AceKard won't break DS slot since there are so many pepole use it already.And i thought you don't need plug-insert AceKard ofen.You just need popup your TF card.In fact,i have done many times of plug-insert during testing.And my DS is still alive.
smile.gif

The AceKard software and GUI is unable to auto-detect the save type of a ROM.
--There is no way,at least we don't found any way if you use clean rom,to auto-detect save type.This is too complex to auto detect.

but only .NDS files will be detected within the GUI.
--In fact it's .nds files.AKFS is case-sensitive.

Hopefully we'll see enough software update from the AceKard team to smooth out the problems in their client.
--We already notice this issue.And we'll fix it in a short time.But this issue is harmless.
smile.gif

And as far as we can tell, it can't be customised (eg. custom wallpapers).
--We have a plan to support it in future.

And also special accented characters such as "á, é, í, ó, ú" etc.. aren't displayed so you're left with a name that says "Pokmon" instead of "Pokémon".
--We'll add more language support in future.

Download play doesn't work.
--In fact this issue only happened when the client DS is not flashed.And even so there is only a few games can't download play.
And as we know now,all the flash card,no matter it's slot2 or slot1,also has this issue.

We haven't encountered a game that doesn't boot yet. That's a very impressive result.
--To tell you the truth,although we have confidence of our product,but we still do a full test for every game already released.Each game has been played for three of five minutes and been saved and restart DS and relaunch the game to verify save.
And every game is worked well for sure.
smile.gif

The more test we've done the more confidence we have.We believe that our produce is very strong.
Conclusion:AceKard support 100% clean rom as we claim.

But unfortunately, there are slowdowns in game such as the intro to the first Castlevania, the music in Metroid Prime Pinball and the intro to Rockman Exe 5 are some of the slowdowns we encountered. And this is using an "ultra II" Sandisk card.
--We suggest use a TF card which can use speed 3 or 4.That speed won't have any lag when you playing.
smile.gif

Due to the fact that the AceKard uses its own file system (AKFS), we didn't have high hopes for homebrew on the AceKard.
--We'll release AK version of these homebrews in future.Or we'll release API of AKFS.

On my computer using a USB 2.0 card reader the transfer speed is approximately 4.5MB/s, which is very fast.
--And the time of launch a game is also very fast.There is no time to do some "fly patched".
smile.gif

stop_loading

Trophies
XP
Country
thanks acekard, we appreciate your efford to post in an english website

we know the product is fairly new, and it sounds really promising

keep up the good work

delta123

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
well i'm sold on the acekard. but first i have to wait until i have more money. and the reviews of the microninja to come out. other than that this card is on the top of my list. and i too don't get what he ment by small and green.

stop_loading

Trophies
XP
Country
i dont know about you people but i'm considering this in the future more than ds-x, it uses microSD, it's cheaper, it has the compatiblity that i want, supported clean rom, i dont care about homebrew and download play, and i dont care about drag and drop, as long as it's fast

now the deciding factor in the future are:

-support: will the client get any better? will they fix the glitches? will it improve? since i need the folder management and the moving data file
-battery life: there has been no test regarding battery life, there's no point in getting a slot 1 solution if it drains the same power as the slot2 solution (DS-X has advantage on this), so i'll be waiting for the battery life test in here
-100% compatibility: will it hold true?
-having AKFS meaning that i cant use the microSD for any other device without formating it, it's not even recogniseable in windows, am i correct? this is debatable; a downside obviously but i guess i could live with it, we'll see
- any other slot 1 solution, i'll be waiting on microninja, let's see how that turned out to be

this isnt a card for people who enjoy homebrew though

acekard

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
well i'm sold on the acekard. but first i have to wait until i have more money. and the reviews of the microninja to come out. other than that this card is on the top of my list. and i too don't get what he ment by small and green.

Small means the size of AKManager is only 1.5MB.
Green means you don't need install AKManager or it will modify any config of your Windows.You only need copy it to your PC and double click to run it.

And for stop_loading,you can find answers in my first post.

Thank you.

cenotaph

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I really appreciate the fact that you (acekard team?) communicate directly with us, makes it feel less like investing in a black box (i.e. M3/SC/whatever where updates just pop up whenever they please and there's no way to know when/if they'll appear).

Seeing as I'm for most part interested in running (commercial) NDS roms on my slot 1 card if I'd get one (I'd have my M3 sitting in slot 2 for GBA/MP3/some NDS) it sounds great, especially if the API would be released so someone could engineer support for other OS'es (I primarily use FreeBSD on a daily basis, which I do not expect official support for seeing as it's very minor as a desktop OS).

nightwalker

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
the other problem is...will there be more palces to order the acekard? the only site that has it for pre-order is bamboogaming

and yyjoy but they don't ship to anywhere else other than china

acekard

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
the other problem is...will there be more palces to order the acekard? the only site that has it for pre-order is bamboogaming

and yyjoy but they don't ship to anywhere else other than china

OverSea distributors is in progress.And it'll be available soon.Please be patient.
Or you can buy it directly from us.
smile.gif

Thank you.

stop_loading

Trophies
XP
Country
I really appreciate the fact that you (acekard team?) communicate directly with us, makes it feel less like investing in a black box (i.e. M3/SC/whatever where updates just pop up whenever they please and there's no way to know when/if they'll appear).

I agree, especially since english arent their native language

I hope the english version is coming soon
smile.gif
, so that people can order easily

trebus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Shouldn't GBAtemp put a notice on the micro SD cards needed for the fastest speed rather than just saying that Sandisk Ultra 2 always worked for other flashcarts and if it's slow, AceKard has a problem?

Looking at the list Kingston and PNY is the fastest with speeds of 3. This means that by spending much less than normal for a Sandisk Ultra 2 you are able to afford twice the memory and half the price for full speed, judging from the prices today.

stop_loading

Trophies
XP
Country
damn you acekard. will the file sysytem EVER be able to fragment files?

probably not but he said you might be able to move files in the future

so i assume:

32mb game A+ 32 free space + 32 game B + 32 free space

moved into

32mb game A + 32 game B + 64 free space, so now you can put a 64mb game

pls correct me if i'm wrong

but i'm skeptical about updates, since some team lie about their update

so when acekard has proven support by releasing and updating their client every now and then, consider i'm on board

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: @_@