Status
Not open for further replies.

fishsticks

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
- Proprietary AceKard file system causes more problems than it solves
I agree. I don't really like the idea of formatting the card everytime I want to use it in another device.

- Need to use buggy client software (Windows only) to transfer ROMs
"buggy" software can be fixed. And I think some pple using the DS-X came up with a programme to trim roms, etc. Isn't that the same as using a client software? Especially with the DS-X's limited size, having full size roms on the flashcart may take up more space than necessary.

- Doesn't auto detect game save types - need to wait for software updates to play the latest games or set the size manually (requires research)
I agree again, this is something that the ds-x can do. They need to research it more before saying that it's impossible.

- Some slowdowns occur in games even using an Ultra II Sandisk - the AceKard requires specific micro SD cards for best compatibility results
Or you can use a normal speed kingston at half the price. I think this may be beneficial for those who do not have a micro SD card yet.

- Low download play (single cart multiplayer) support
I do agree again, even though I hardly play any single cart multiplayer games, except those I like, like Mario Kart, which I do have the real cartridge for.
smile.gif

- Poor build design means it's a tight fit in your DS slot
I thought people had to stick pieces of paper in between their ds-x and ds to make it work? Please check in the ds-x forum.

- GUI is not customisable
So you spend more time slowing down your system with buggy skins, just to look pretty.

- Lack of extra features
Wait, deja vu? wasn't this an argument I heard from the psp fan boys ages ago? PSP plays movies, mp3s, surfs the net, cooks 9 course meals! DS SUX! But who won? The most important thing then wasn't the extra features, but which ones had the best games.

- Very low homebrew compatibility
Considering they are releasing the API to the homebrew devs, I believe this is something can be improved.

stop_loading

Trophies
XP
Country
I can't believe that some individuals would overlook the flaws in the AceKard only because it supposedly is 100% compatible with all nds roms.
So, lets settle this once and for all.

Here are the flaws of the ds-x:
- a FEW nds titles do not work (and I mean a few)

That's it. Just one(1). Price is not a flaw of the ds-x. It having 512Mb is not a flaw of the ds-x. Both of these were known months before before the ds-x was shipped.
I have a feeling soomeone will say the dancing lights is a flaw, but are not because they work like they are supposed to and you can turn them off.

Here are the flaws of the AceKard (as quoted fom Shauns review):
- Doesn't auto detect game save types - need to wait for software updates to play the latest games or set the size manually (requires research)
- Some slowdowns occur in games even using an Ultra II Sandisk - the AceKard requires specific micro SD cards for best compatibility results
- Lack of extra features

SO, looking at the cons of each product, can you honestly say that the AceKard is better than the ds-x??????

you can argue that price and embedded memory are not flaws, but it doesnt escape making people turning away from the product, spending $120 on an unupgadeable 512mb device is ridiculous, in a year (maybe even less), microsd card will get cheaper and have bigger storage, not to mention it's useable on other devices, not to mention it will become the standard on cell phone soon.

and again, what's the point of getting a slot 1 solution if it still requires a nitpicky updates for games that dont work? llike this one:

the sims2 : "on 4th day of gameplay, after getting extensions on hotel, game freezes after several minutes of play; also now freezes when inventory is accessed. same error both firmwares, tested on 2 different carts and 2 different DS units. "

with more ds games coming, more problems will arise, i might as well get an m3l or scl with the same compatibility, and those companies have proven their credibility by regular updates, not to mention they use micro SD as well, plus GBA support

now look at acekard flaws, most of them are fixable and avoidable:
*i assume referring to formating , free space file, and folder organization, which is fixable on firmware
*m3 and scl use a software and most people dont have problem with that, and again it's fixable
*now this is a real flaw, but i'll take this anyday compared to a game that doesn't work and you can't do anything about it, let's say.. pokemon when ds-x was first released?
*avoidable if you uses the correct micro SD cart, what happen when you have slow down on ds-x? that's right, there's nothing you can do
*ds-x have problems with single cart multiplayer as well
*don't remove the cart then, remove the microSD
*fixable in firmware
- Lack of extra features
*what extra features? LED lights?
*now this is a real flaw, if you care about homebrew, this isnt your card, since there's no way that the team translate every homebrew available on the market

the only thing they need to do is fix the client until it's good enough,
all i need is: 1. moveable free space files, and 2. folders

m3, g6, and also ds-x wasnt perfect when it was first came out either

will they update the software? only time will tell, there's no way to make sure, company lies all the time, that's why i said, when acekard has proven their support, then i'm on board

deathspawn999

Trophies
XP
Country
Using AK manager needs an extra click of a mouse and also needs to bear with setting options and stuff. People want something which is simple as copy and pasting as they cannot afford to waste the extra energy and time to click open another program to put in a game.

So in other words, easier=better

So you don't need any software or program to copy and paste in DS-X? May I ask what is a Windows Explorer to you? Is that some kind of program or software you mentioned? And what's the difference between click on My Computer or AKmanager? Besides, you cannot even afford a single click of engergy? I thought it'll be better maybe you just forget about playing games, that costs too much engergy and time for you I presume?

BTW, to -EX-:
Yep, i agree with you with the homebrew part, but isn't game the first priority as a gamedeck? Like if a cellphone cannot make phone calls properly, it's not a good one no matter how strong the OS is, agree?
And if 100% compatibility and clean rom support is not something better than DS-X on this issue only, I just cannot understand your point!
About price, it seems that Acekard is much cheaper than DS-X, or 40$ is more than 100$?(sorry about my poor maths, or there's different ways of caculation you have in States?)
you are a moron. with ds-x, i can use ANY FUCKING OPERATING SYSTEM I WANT. I CAN USE LINUX (VIRTUALLY ANY DISTRO), I CAN USE A MAC, I CAN USE ANY GOD DAMN THING I WANT BECAUSE I DONT NEED A PROGRAM TO GET MY SHIT RUNNING. IF YOU CANT SEE THE USE IN THAT MAYBE THESE CAPS WILL HELP YOU. I DONT NEED TO FUCK WITH SAVE SETTINGS. I DONT HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT FRAGMENTED MEMORY GAPS. I DONT HAVE TO DEAL WITH BUGGY SOFTWARE. DO YOU SEE? DO YOU GET IT YET?

$40 for AK, +$XX for memory unit, +$X for memory card reader vs $130. yes, you win the money game. good job, your product is cheaper. you dont win the ease of use game. you dont win the homebrew game (YOU CANT EVEN ENTER THIS ARENA BTW). you get what you pay for.

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
OP
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
"buggy" software can be fixed. And I think some pple using the DS-X came up with a programme to trim roms, etc. Isn't that the same as using a client software? Especially with the DS-X's limited size, having full size roms on the flashcart may take up more space than necessary.
What does that have to do with anything? If people want to use a 3rd party app to load games onto their DS-Xtreme they can, but the point is that they don't HAVE to. They're not forced to use any software and can use the cart on pretty much any given computer OS.
Also you should know that the AceKard software doesn't auto-trim ROMs, so if you want to do that you'll have to use 2 pieces of software in the end (trimmer and client).

Or you can use a normal speed kingston at half the price. I think this may be beneficial for those who do not have a micro SD card yet.
The point is that you'll have to buy a specific micro SD card to use with the AceKard, so your current one may not "be good enough". And I'm sure the problem with the ultra II being classed as "slow" is a software/hardware issue on the AceKard.

I thought people had to stick pieces of paper in between their ds-x and ds to make it work? Please check in the ds-x forum.
I've never had the problem on the two DS-Xtreme's I have access to. And I'm sure the DS-X team would replace any faulty cases as should the AceKard team.

So you spend more time slowing down your system with buggy skins, just to look pretty.
Again that's not the point. Stop being so petty. The point is that the option to customise a flash kit GUI has been around for years. Even my old X-ROM at least allowed me to configure the background gradient. This is just laziness or oversight from the AceKard team.
Wait, deja vu? wasn't this an argument I heard from the psp fan boys ages ago? PSP plays movies, mp3s, surfs the net, cooks 9 course meals! DS SUX! But who won? The most important thing then wasn't the extra features, but which ones had the best games.
Again extra features are something people come to expect. It's not the end of the world, but yes it is a con, just as it was for the DSLink.

Considering they are releasing the API to the homebrew devs, I believe this is something can be improved.
Time will tell. Point is, at the time of the review, homebrew support is terrible.

stinkingbob

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Antarctica
The problem that Stop_loading has is that he is too damn stubborn. He makes points that are untenible and that have already been talked about.
He knows he is wrong, but he is too proud to admit it so he keeps on knocking the ds-x making little petty points that just aren't flaws with the ds-x.
But I bet that if he had a ds-x and an acekard, he would be using the ds-x.
For all others who haven't made up their minds yet, do your homework, look at the pros and cons of each and make your buying decision. Personally, i would go with the ds-x. If you factor in the cost of the acekard + shipping international + buying an sd card which hopefully will not cause slowdown
+ the cost of the mini sd adapter = almost the same price of a ds-x. So, for 20 or 40 dollars, you can get a ds-x without going through all the headaches of the ackard.

Oh, ans what happened to the acekard representative?? He has been pretty damn silent every since he did that 1 post. Makes me wonder if thatperosn was really from acekard or maybe it was stop_loading imersonating one! (sorry stop, I had to throw that one in!
rolleyes.gif
)

stop_loading

Trophies
XP
Country
But I bet that if he had a ds-x and an acekard, he would be using the ds-x.

rofl2.gif
rofl2.gif
rofl2.gif
rofl2.gif
rofl2.gif
rofl2.gif
rofl2.gif
rofl2.gif
rofl2.gif
rofl2.gif
rofl2.gif
rofl2.gif

one card's limited to 512mb, another can support up to 2 gig, or unlimited if you use multiple cards
one have trouble running animal crossing, and slow down on other games, another can run every single game, what would be my choice?

in fact, i'll just put 20 games on a single card and that will last for a month at least, mind you they all run perfectly

you just made a mistake by getting ds-x, and you're trying to make other people do the same thing and justifying the price, the micro SD and the usb card reader can be used for another purpose, and guess what? some people already have microSD and card reader, they're common for other devices
wait for the us retailers and probably would only cost $55 include shipping to get an acekard,
what's the point of throwing $120 for a single device that crashes castlevania? i would be pissed

wait until m3 and supercard came out with their slot 1 solution, then it'll get ugly for ds-x

and do you really think that's me?
rofl2.gif

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
OK, we understand that you all have different views, now we would like you to stop this, allright?

stinkinbob and stop_loading, I will ask you to refrain from posting in this topic, if you want to go on, please do so by PM
smile.gif

The least post from any of you in this topic will result in a temporary suspension, during which you would probably realize how stupid this has become.

I hope you understand my point, thanks guys
wink.gif

sidneyyoung

Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
the point of throwing $120 for a single device that crashes castlevania? i would be pissed

wait until m3 and supercard came out with their slot 1 solution, then it'll get ugly for ds-x

yes but you're forgetting the disco lights man.. it has shiny shiny... got to be wrth any ones hard cash... actually running games doesn't matter
wacko.gif

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
CronoTrig, I will ask you not to provoke any of the two guys or you'll be in the list too!
Thank you!

stinkinbob please do not reply: I'll keep my word and suspend you no matter what's in your post (and also delete your post)

fishsticks

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
What does that have to do with anything? If people want to use a 3rd party app to load games onto their DS-Xtreme they can, but the point is that they don't HAVE to. They're not forced to use any software and can use the cart on pretty much any given computer OS.
Also you should know that the AceKard software doesn't auto-trim ROMs, so if you want to do that you'll have to use 2 pieces of software in the end (trimmer and client).
yes, my point isn't that the acekard software trim roms, but that people want to use a program to trim roms and do other stuff on for the ds-x, even though they can drag and drop. doesn't that negate the fact that it supports drag and drop? So if you want to use a program to trim roms, and then drag and drop it on to your cart. Isn't it the same as using any of the other flashcart solutions? Of course, the Ds-X is better for developers like what Costello had said because of it's drag and drop features, but for anyone who wants to save space by trimming roms before placing the rom on the cart, can do very well with any flash cart.

The point is that you'll have to buy a specific micro SD card to use with the AceKard, so your current one may not "be good enough". And I'm sure the problem with the ultra II being classed as "slow" is a software/hardware issue on the AceKard.
Yes, that is an issue if you have an existing one, but what if you don't? For someone who just starts out without a microSD and needs one, may be more interested in the acekard. Because if they can buy the acekard and a kingston normal speed 1GB microsd for about $80, and there are no slowdowns, isn't that more price effective?
So it is a negative for those who already have a different microsd card, but it's positive for those who do not have one.

I've never had the problem on the two DS-Xtreme's I have access to. And I'm sure the DS-X team would replace any faulty cases as should the AceKard team.

Turns out due to poor maunfacturing I have to apply a small piece of paper to the cart as i put it in the slot in order for it to becom readabe again.
I agree with you that manufacturing faults should be replaced by the team, but doesn't discount the fact that the build of the ds-x may be as shoddy as that of the acekard.

Again that's not the point. Stop being so petty. The point is that the option to customise a flash kit GUI has been around for years. Even my old X-ROM at least allowed me to configure the background gradient. This is just laziness or oversight from the AceKard team.
Seriously, besides putting a wallpaper on windows, I've never really changed the skins of the OS, the browsers. Of course. I have definitely tried, but sometimes I feel that they either get slower, or the default skin looks the more pleasant after all. of course, that's just me, but some people do like the features.

Again extra features are something people come to expect. It's not the end of the world, but yes it is a con, just as it was for the DSLink.
I don't really agree here, because I do not think anything necessitates the point of dancing led lights, and for playing mp3s moonshell will do really. But what's the point of those multimedia features in the ds-x for anyway? How much can you fit on a 4gb cart?

Time will tell. Point is, at the time of the review, homebrew support is terrible.
exactly. My first comment in this thread was that time will tell. But I find that some ds-x fanboys tend to be very agressive in their comments. and I'm not a "fanboy". I'm a consumer first and foremost, and I look for what's good value for money. Will I buy either at this point of time with their faults? no, I'm perfectly happy with my carts at the moment, although I am looking for something that plays gba games flawlessly. Personally, I will suggest to anyone to wait for several months before considering these slot 1s.

stinkingbob

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Antarctica
Hi costello,

On the review of the ds-x by Shaun not too long ago, I had written about either you or shaun editing out posts because people were basically dissing the ds-x and calling the review biased. I am not sure if it was you or Shaun, but one of you said that you would not edit posts because people were expressing their opinion and that it would not be right to silence someone for that just because there was a disagreement in what was said. Unfortunately, it looks like you are doing this by your threat of a temporary ban. Now, I have not broken any rules nor have I been inconsiderate to anyone. I have an opinion and that is why I am expressing it here and it is on topic. Now, if you are basing your statemnt on the very posts between me and stop_loading, please note that I did not start anything. I posted something and then Stop, made a counter-proposal. If you look at my posts for this topic, you will see that they are legitimate. Whether or not you agree/disagree what I have said, your threat of being banned is serious, especially because I have read posts from people who have used expletives and have insulted others, and you have not threatened them with being banned. As a moderator, you have to be fair and be equal for everyone that posts here.
With that said, just so this doesn't happen in the future again, can you let us gbatempers know what we can or cannot post so that we will not get threatened by you to be banned?
B

INTERNETS

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yes, my point isn't that the acekard software trim roms, but that people want to use a program to trim roms and do other stuff on for the ds-x, even though they can drag and drop. doesn't that negate the fact that it supports drag and drop? So if you want to use a program to trim roms, and then drag and drop it on to your cart. Isn't it the same as using any of the other flashcart solutions? Of course, the Ds-X is better for developers like what Costello had said because of it's drag and drop features, but for anyone who wants to save space by trimming roms before placing the rom on the cart, can do very well with any flash cart.

Yes, that is an issue if you have an existing one, but what if you don't? For someone who just starts out without a microSD and needs one, may be more interested in the acekard. Because if they can buy the acekard and a kingston normal speed 1GB microsd for about $80, and there are no slowdowns, isn't that more price effective?
So it is a negative for those who already have a different microsd card, but it's positive for those who do not have one.

Turns out due to poor maunfacturing I have to apply a small piece of paper to the cart as i put it in the slot in order for it to becom readabe again.
I agree with you that manufacturing faults should be replaced by the team, but doesn't discount the fact that the build of the ds-x may be as shoddy as that of the acekard.

Seriously, besides putting a wallpaper on windows, I've never really changed the skins of the OS, the browsers. Of course. I have definitely tried, but sometimes I feel that they either get slower, or the default skin looks the more pleasant after all. of course, that's just me, but some people do like the features.

I don't really agree here, because I do not think anything necessitates the point of dancing led lights, and for playing mp3s moonshell will do really. But what's the point of those multimedia features in the ds-x for anyway? How much can you fit on a 4gb cart?

exactly. My first comment in this thread was that time will tell. But I find that some ds-x fanboys tend to be very agressive in their comments. and I'm not a "fanboy". I'm a consumer first and foremost, and I look for what's good value for money. Will I buy either at this point of time with their faults? no, I'm perfectly happy with my carts at the moment, although I am looking for something that plays gba games flawlessly. Personally, I will suggest to anyone to wait for several months before considering these slot 1s.

I have a tremendous idea - how about, you don't address an entire paragraph in sections? You do realize that, any credibility you might have had was stripped away as soon as you had more than one quote in your entire post.

fishsticks

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I have a tremendous idea - how about, you don't address an entire paragraph in sections? You do realize that, any credibility you might have had was stripped away as soon as you had more than one quote in your entire post.

This is amusing, but I never realised your credibility is measured by the number of quotes you have in your entire posts. Then is it measured by the number of smilies in your post? or is it really measured by the points you made in your post?

Btw, just for your information, I did not address an entire paragraph in sections.

The first post I addressed, had points, not paragraphs. Is it necessary for me to quote for you?
QUOTE- Proprietary AceKard file system causes more problems than it solves
- Lack of extra features

and do i really have to quote shaun's reply for you as well? http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=39835&st=120# Well, according to you, he doesnt have any credibility at all as well. *rolls eyes* He had more than one quote in his post.

sidneyyoung

Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
real developers wouldn't really give much of a shit about dragging and dropping..."OMG on the Acecard I have to put the mem card in the mem reader..OMG OMG OMG" ... can you imagine it ?

also real developers tend to use an emulator rather than a real ds during coding.

so stop the ds-x is the developers friend shit now, try a let this whole fiasco have the slightest bit of credability.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Nobody is reading what you post.