New R4 DS Firmware Released - 1.06 English Beta

skfields01

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
Anyway I'll wait for the official release of the program before I try it. I suppose I can always downgrade.

There is nothing to upgrade or downgrade. Not like the old days or in the traditional sense. Nothing is written to the chips in the R4/M3 Simply. All your are swapping out is one file _DS_MENU.DAT... which is really only adding new lines of coding. You can freely go from old to new versions of the program just by swapping out that file.

Kyuzumaki

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The system should read the roms encoded name and show that in the rom list. Not very hard to impliment as they have already written code that does that and displays it in the bottom screen when you select a rom.

But more on-topic i like the softreset didn't think they would be adding new features like that. It will definitley increase their sales if they keep updating.

spokenrope

c7
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
there should be a "play last played game" options, always on top.

Better still an option to autoboot the last played game, unless you hold (for example) the R button when you power on.

I would probably prefer the option to be that you *can* boot the last played game if you would like by holding a certain button when the DS is switched on.

Looking forward to this update. Downloading right now.

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I would probably prefer the option to be that you *can* boot the last played game if you would like by holding a certain button when the DS is switched on.

The other way (so that it booted the last game played if you don't hold a button) would make it more like having an original cart in, and would be much better for ~2yr olds (and people who want to play through a game before starting another).

As it would be an option, anyone who didn't like it could turn it off in a config screen/file and have it work as it does now.

Don't a couple of the other carts work that way? (ez or g6 or something??).

spokenrope

c7
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I have a 4 year old little brother, and he's never going to get near my DS again. Last time he did, he erased my game for New Super Mario Brothers.

A much more likely scenario for me, however, is to loan my DS out to friends who are going on vacation. Something I've already done a couple times. And I'd just like to avoid the "Hey what the hell how come only Castlevania loads you told me you had 20 games on this you lying piece of shit" phone call.

False Hope

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
When you soft reset, it looks like the game crashes with some messed up graphics for about 3 sec, then it goes back to the menu with the icons. I doubt it 'saves' when soft resetting, so make sure to save before resetting back.

As for the R4 team.. there's only one thing to do...Â
bow.gif
Can anyone prove this wrong? When you soft reset, does it automatically save the game for you? Or do you really have to save first, then soft reset?

Katalyst

Johnald Everyperson
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
When you soft reset, it looks like the game crashes with some messed up graphics for about 3 sec, then it goes back to the menu with the icons. I doubt it 'saves' when soft resetting, so make sure to save before resetting back.

bow.gif

Can anyone prove this wrong? When you soft reset, does it automatically save the game for you? Or do you really have to save first, then soft reset?
It doesn't save. The changelog specifically states that you should save and go back to the main menu of the game before you soft-reset. You don't have to do that, but if you're paranoid about losing/corrupting your saves, it would be a good idea.

False Hope

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

bow.gif

It doesn't save. The changelog specifically states that you should save and go back to the main menu of the game before you soft-reset. You don't have to do that, but if you're paranoid about losing/corrupting your saves, it would be a good idea.

Thanks, for the info maybe they'll fix this when the 1.06 Final is released.

D

Deleted User

Is it me, or is the download from the official site corrupted? It wouldn't unRAR properly for me ... so I had to get it from the mirror.

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

Resetting is not supposed to save the game. Saving the game is supposed to save the game. This is not a bug, even if they could somehow make games save when soft resetting they shouldn't do it.

Katalyst

Johnald Everyperson
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

Resetting is not supposed to save the game. Saving the game is supposed to save tha game. This is not a bug, even if they could somehow make games save when soft resetting they shouldn't do it.
/agree. To be honest, I can't even see myself using the soft-reset. As much energy as it takes for me to arrange my fingers on the combination and press them is either the same or not very much more/less than the energy it takes to switch the power on/off.
tongue.gif
It's a nice feature (I guess) but not a necessity.

EDIT: Oh yeah, the ability to save on soft-reset won't happen. In order to do that, it'd have to be a realtime save (as well as realtime load on the next boot).

kennyboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
QUOTE said:

i always thought the R4 saves like an original cart, and does not need a reset to save. So if you saved in-game, then you're free to reset to menu.

Great, had some random freezes in C:PoR (sandisk 1GB) after ~ten minutes with 1.05. Now I've just played 30 minutes and still no freeze
smile.gif

does the new firmware fix the C:Por freezing for anyone else?

well....tested. still freezes at rare moments (mainly at teleport points) on my sandisk 1g.

kennyboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal

Resetting is not supposed to save the game. Saving the game is supposed to save tha game. This is not a bug, even if they could somehow make games save when soft resetting they shouldn't do it.
/agree. To be honest, I can't even see myself using the soft-reset. As much energy as it takes for me to arrange my fingers on the combination and press them is either the same or not very much more/less than the energy it takes to switch the power on/off.
tongue.gif
It's a nice feature (I guess) but not a necessity.

EDIT: Oh yeah, the ability to save on soft-reset won't happen. In order to do that, it'd have to be a realtime save (as well as realtime load on the next boot).

hmm...this reset combi isn't that difficult since it doesn't involve the start and select buttons. it's just like the supercard reset buttons. easy to do, and difficult to do wrongly unless it's a kid mashing the buttons. i used to miss it when i switched from supercard to ez4 lite. Now its back!
grog.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: *yawn*