Hacking New microSDHC-card

• Thread starter The Jackal
  • Start date
  • Views 1,781
  • Replies 12
T

The Jackal

OP
Well, topic pretty much speaks for itself.
I've received a new microSDHC-card, and I wonder if it's advised to format it straight out of the box, or if it's already
'optimized' from where it's manufactured?

I'm thinking Panasonic SD Formatter here, since it's widely recommended.
Also, using Panasonic SD Formatter, which type of formatting should be used?
FORMAT TYPE: QUICK | FULL [Erase OFF] | FULL [Erase ON]

Thanks!

shadow999

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Bah I replied to this post yesterday and gbatemp kept on timing out!

Anyway, I would probably recommend not formatting the card. All the cards that I have faced are already fully optimised for speed out of the box. On all of my cards, I lost a bit of speed by formatting it, even with the Panasonic Formatter. Not much but I still lost a little bit of performance. Usually around 0.1ms for the Random Access Time.

In theory, formatting SD cards should not pose any problem because the formatting specification is very specific on how cards should be made and formatted. With other card standards like Compact Flash and others, you can significantly loose speed by formatting the card.

Edit: It would actually be nice if we could 'backup' a card in factory condition so it can be restored to the exact state as it was out of the factory. Restoring the image would be like formatting the card. I am not sure if this is possible or not or how to do it. It is just an idea I am throwing.

T

The Jackal

OP
So basically just format if there's a problem with the card; corruption etc.

Golin

Trophies
Website
www.loswades.frih.net
XP
Country
United States
The Jackal said:
So basically just format if there's a problem with the card; corruption etc.
Pretty much, remember "don't fix it if it ain't broke."

I will advise, however, that you drag and drop all your files in its entirety to ensure that the files are all being written consistently and prevents fragmentation--on a side note NEVER DEFRAG A FLASH-BASED CARD.

dsrules

Trophies
XP
Country
just use it the way out of the box, you should never format your microsd even if the file are corrupted, just delete them manually, but don't format it..formatting kills

Golin

Trophies
Website
www.loswades.frih.net
XP
Country
United States
dsrules said:
just use it the way out of the box, you should never format your microsd even if the file are corrupted, just delete them manually, but don't format it..formatting kills
If your card is corrupt, then you should definitely format the card--do not do Quick Format though. Just deleting files and putting new files on a corrupt card is asking for more trouble sooner or later--usually sooner than later.

shadow999

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
There are reasons for not formatting flash based cards.
A lot of information about formatting flash based cards can be found on the following two links. They contains lots of useful information, although it is a bit verbose.

http://www.hjreggel.net/cardspeed/info-formatting.html

http://www.hjreggel.net/cardspeed/cs_calign.html

As far as I remember, there are strict rules for formatting SD cards, so formatting should not affect performance. But it has slightly for me (maybe it was a fluke thou).

Camshi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah I agree try it and if its not broke don't try and fix it or improve it. Just use and let it function unless its broke.

T

The Jackal

OP
dsrules said:

I bet the team at Panasonic with their SD Formatter-tool would disagree
wink.gif

Back on topic, I took the advice NOT to format out-of-the-box, and will only do it if I encounter some sort of error in the future.
As of now, the card works wonders (Transcend microSDHC 4GB Class 6).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Pass