rcolosi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi guys! Neat forum you got here.

I've been into using PKhex without using homebrew until SuMo came out. I figured since the direct inject was no longer working, that I would research into how to get homebrew set up on either of my two 3ds.

The first one I have, I bought specifically for the injection. Firmware 9.4.0-21U
The second one is my play device, firmware 11.2.0-35U.

Now, I have seen that most of the access points for homebrew require a game to be purchased. Some other ones do not, but instead require a firmware downgrade. I tried very hard to follow instructions to downgrade the firmware, but it would appear that the things I require to do so require homebrew. As you can tell, I clearly do not have enough information to continue. I got so far as to get Menuhax to almost work, but wound up with the black screen on top, red screen on bottom every time.

I am pretty apt at following instructions, so I'm pretty sure it's not me. Every method I've found requires some specific game or app that I can no longer download (without a FW upgrade), or requires me to purchase a 40 dollar game.

Is there any way that I could get set on the correct path? My main goal here is Pokemon SuMo obviously, and I really don't want to quit pokemon simply because I don't have months and months on end to spend breeding.

Thanks for reading!
~R

metroid maniac

An idiot with an opinion
Trophies
XP
Country
This is the goto guide for installing the most modern CFW setup.
https://plailect.github.io/Guide/
I recommend using your 9.4.0-12U 3DS for this, all you need is the browser.

Once you have CFW the console will be pretty much permanently hacked.
You should check before you try to update, but you should always be able to update the console without losing any hacks.
And, you will always be able to access homebrew. So you can use that for all of your save editing fun.

rcolosi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks so much for replying!

This is the exact page that I wound up at.

Before I ran into a red screen error that wasn't on the troubleshooting guide. I will follow the steps again and see if I'm just crazy or what.

Thanks for replying!!

EDIT:
Okay, so it successfully installed this time, but will I be required to go through the process of downgrading software? Or is that specific to what program I use?

Last edited by rcolosi,

Sketchy1

gbatemp's shadiest warez dealer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks so much for replying!

This is the exact page that I wound up at.

Before I ran into a red screen error that wasn't on the troubleshooting guide. I will follow the steps again and see if I'm just crazy or what.

Thanks for replying!!

EDIT:
Okay, so it successfully installed this time, but will I be required to go through the process of downgrading software? Or is that specific to what program I use?
Depends on what you wanna do.
Software downgrade to then set a9lh (or menuhax) is highly recommended cause you can do many other things, like set custom boot animations (a9lh only) pirate games, or save edit directly on the 3ds

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Actually you can just install menuhax then continue with cfw immediately.
OR
You can downgrade and install a9lh

-If you feel like you might mess something up, choose first option
-If you feel like you have the balls and won't stray/skip steps in the guide, choose the second
-it is reccomended you take the second however, because it is the mainstream form of getting cfw though has the chance to turn your 3ds into a fancy paperweight

Zidapi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Yes, you'll need to downgrade. Just follow the guide word for word, it'll provide links to the necessary files when they're required.

After being in the world of CFW, I think you find that you like it so much, that you'll want to hack your Primary 3DS too!

Giodude

GBAtemp's official rock
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First things first, new 3ds or old 3ds? If it's a n3ds, you 100% should use arm9loaderhax, since it's actually easier to install than menuhax. If o3ds, you have a choive, since o3ds requires a 2.1 downgrade. Your choice.

rcolosi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am successfully downgraded to 9.2.0-20U. Now though I need to figure out what CFW to use and why. Is it better to downgrade and use a CFW that way? Which direction should I go?

Edit: Old 3ds.

Edit2: FWIW I also have that 11.2, if for some reason it would be easier to do it to a newer version.

Last edited by rcolosi,

metroid maniac

An idiot with an opinion
Trophies
XP
Country
CFW (and other advanced tools) won't run without having either a 9.2 sysnand or a9lh.
I recommend continuing with Plailect's guide until you have a9lh, Luma CFW and a fully updated sysnand.

Reactions: Zidapi

TheMagicMan

A Person
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am successfully downgraded to 9.2.0-20U. Now though I need to figure out what CFW to use and why. Is it better to downgrade and use a CFW that way? Which direction should I go?

Edit: Old 3ds.

Edit2: FWIW I also have that 11.2, if for some reason it would be easier to do it to a newer version.

After downgrading to 9.2, you need to follow this guide: https://plailect.github.io/Guide/2.1.0-ctrtransfer

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

After downgrading to 9.2, you need to follow this guide: https://plailect.github.io/Guide/2.1.0-ctrtransfer

To use cfw you need to install arm9loader which is what I linked

rcolosi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So after downgrading, I moved on to the decrypt9 step, and homebrew simply will not launch. What am I doing wrong? Both browserhax and menuhax were supposed to be installed, correct?

Ugh. I'm just stupid I guess. I used the url for browserhax and it worked fine. I just don't get why the down-pad didn't work for menuhax.

Last edited by rcolosi,

rcolosi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"Copy the 2.1.0 .bin and .bin.sha from the ctrtransfer zip to the /files9/ folder on your SD card"

Up till now that "files9" folder was never mentioned. Nor is it anywhere on my sd card.

wut do?

TheMagicMan

A Person
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Decrypt9 (Homebrew Launcher)

If you have already hacked your 3DS before and have a EmuNAND based CFW setup, this guide deals exclusively with SysNAND and you should follow all instructions from within or applying to SysNAND. Note that the terms EmuNAND and RedNAND refer to slightly different implementations of the same concept.

What you need
Instructions
  1. Create a folder named files9 on the root of your SD card if it does not already exist

rcolosi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, totally missed that one.

But this is where you guys are gonna start snickering.

So my real problem lies in that I couldn't transfer those two 2.1 files over because my SD card was full. I tried to transfer the files to my pc to replace them on a 4g instead of the 2g, and it turned out my tiny little 75g harddrive was full. So I deleted war thunder off to make way. But even still, it refuses to transfer the files after 20g in space was cleared from my harddrive. Saying that the disc doesn't have enough space and I should defrag. These files that were already on the SD card can't possible amounted to more than a gig if I still allegedly have a gig left.

I really must be smokin' too much or somethin'.

Last edited by rcolosi,

TheMagicMan

A Person
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, totally missed that one.

But this is where you guys are gonna start snickering.

So my real problem lies in that I couldn't transfer those two 2.1 files over because my SD card was full. I tried to transfer the files to my pc to replace them on a 4g instead of the 2g, and it turned out my tiny little 75g harddrive was full. So I deleted war thunder off to make way. But even still, it refuses to transfer the files after 20g in space was cleared from my harddrive. Saying that the disc doesn't have aenough space and I should defrag. These files that were already on the SD card can't possible amounted to more than a gig if I still allegedly have a gig left.

I really must be smokin' too much or somethin'.

Huh thats wierd :/ Does it say it has space left and what message does it exactly say? (Pictures would be nice)

rcolosi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I tried on another rig, and it literally says on the properties for the SD card that there is 738mb and the space I need is 777. Am I seriously screwed? Oh by the way I should have mentioned that for some reason my 4gig card doesn't read. In any of my devices. Even the computer. It's like a ghost.

I figure there must be something I can delete somewheres... but I really have no other data from any games or anything on there AFAIK.

Edit: Idea? Could I delete all the stuff for the other programs that I probably won't be using like oothax and whatnot?

Last edited by rcolosi,

TheMagicMan

A Person
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I tried on another rig, and it literally says on the properties for the SD card that there is 738mb and the space I need is 777. Am I seriously screwed? Oh by the way I should have mentioned that for some reason my 4gig card doesn't read. In any of my devices. Even the computer. It's like a ghost.

I figure there must be something I can delete somewheres... but I really have no other data from any games or anything on there AFAIK.

Oh yeah, its becuase you dumped your nand onto the sd card right? The nand is another partition. If you have a microsd card, you could pop that into a adapter and put that into the 3ds.

rcolosi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So it being another partition... does this mean that it's impossible to delete enough things off to fit these files?, Or simply that it won't show up on the total space?

Because I don't think I have much in the way of alternative hardware options.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Morning