1. cearp

OP cearp 瓜老外

Tuvalu

I was going to buy one of the first ones but it was out of stock, but there's a new version coming out that's solderless so even better! Really just plug and play (well, after disassembling ;))

Not sure why the product didn't just wait until the drive connector was included, and not need to be soldered to the motherboard... but no real complaints there.
    Cool for the people who could get it early. At least now I won't need to shell out some $$$ for a nice soldering iron.

Hopefully it's around the same price ($80) :)

- I think I read it's $90 - cool

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
    Ryccardo, VinsCool, Y0shII and 4 others like this.
  2. Tumoche

Tumoche GBAtemp Regular

Spain
    Is it open source?

3. Phenj

Phenj GBAtemp Fan

Italy
    I'VE LITERALLY just fucking bought a XenoGC and soldering kit!!

4. nitrostemp

nitrostemp GBAtemp Maniac

pretty sure its closed source.

5. voddy

voddy No Title Available

United States
    nice - i want one :D

6. ChaosEternal

ChaosEternal GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Wow, that's pretty cool! I'm guessing the production has been delayed a bit by the coronavirus.

7. alexander1970

alexander1970 Austrian Guy - allowed make grammatical Errors

Austria
    Great News for our "plagued with slowly dying DVD drives" GameCubes.:bow:

Thank you for the News.:)

8. cearp

OP cearp 瓜老外

Tuvalu
    maybe ask on his twitter :) but i'm not sure if citrus3000psi is the sole creator.
    some of the other projects are opensource, like sd2sp2 etc - https://github.com/citrus3000psi/SD2SP2

the thing is, all this work can't be cheap, and if you look on ebay/aliexpress, there are loads of chinese sellers selling the sd2sp2 - which is great, but it is important that for a major work like the gc loader, that the creators get some $ so they can work more.

as much as i am pro opensource, i don't boycott if things aren't, i fully understand their reasoning.

9. subcon959

subcon959 teh retro

If you're in Europe, I would still wait till meneerbeer sets up distribution (especially if you're in a country that likes to screw you with customs charges).

10. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

Norway
    I was waiting for this to happen. I could not understand why an ODE would require soldering, when disc drives are almost always modular and not soldered on. I guess tracking down the right type of connector, or manufacturing them if they can't be found can be a challenge though.
    The SD2SP2 is a very simple device, that would have been reverse engineered in minutes anyway.
    I don't see this going open source any time soon, as you say, the guy has to get something in return for all the time invested in it.
    But maybe in the future. If he doesn't intend to make a living from selling such devices, and just wants to get something in return to make it worth his time, he could very well open source it. Or he could keep it closed source, and use it as an income (primary or secondary), which is fine too. It's his blood, sweat and tears we have to thank, without him this wouldn't even exist.

11. Philipp_94

Philipp_94 Member
    Newcomer

Germany
    So if I (complete newbie to gc modding, just learned today) understand this correct.
    You buy that, put a SD card into it, load some Homebrew/cfw stuff onto the SD and boom you got a working, back up loading and home brew able gc?

12. Ryccardo

Ryccardo and his tropane alkaloids

Italy
    It only runs disc images by itself (though you certainly can run Swiss which can run some homebrews from the virtual miniDVD, and may support freely browsing the ODE's SD card), but yep - if you buy this, you don't need a chip, bootrom replacement, ...
    You may want to also buy an SD gecko (most supported device) for any problematic homebrews, if you care for those

13. cearp

OP cearp 瓜老外

Tuvalu
    yes.

this thing is also pretty cool -https://www.badassconsoles.com/hyperboot/ - it let's you load homebrew (or games, swiss -> isos) from a gc memory card slot sd card/maybe sd2sp2. but it's because the isos are still booting from the gc memory card slot, it's not perfect compatibility.
    but for $25... it's pretty good. it can be cheaper than using an expoited game + save combo, plus better since it doesn't use the disk drive.

of course, the plug and play ode (gc loader) for $90 is much better, perfect comparability is possible (currently, some rare few games have some bugs because the ODE is too fast - funny! but it's easily updateable, i guess it will be fixed)

Ryccardo likes this.
  14. Riyrt

Riyrt Member
    Newcomer

United States
    There's a firmware update a week ago. SD2SP2 is now supported. Any new orders should be on the updated firmware according to badassconsoles.
    It's no ODE, but it's definitely cool that we have a IPL modchip that's in production.

cearp likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - solderless, revision, totally