New File System Support?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by drmarvin, Mar 9, 2009.

Mar 9, 2009

New File System Support? by drmarvin at 7:43 AM (850 Views / 0 Likes) 3 replies

1. drmarvin
    OP

Member drmarvin GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    Looking at all the advances with USB2 and SDHC, is it ever going to be a possibility to have support for file system support that allows for file that are larger than 4 gig such as ext2 or exFAT? Obviously I'm asking thins regarding the ISO dumper, since it would be great to be able to dump to the local media all in one shot. I know NTFS would also allow for that, but I think there are more complicated user permissions or something with it. My programming skills are weak and pathetic, but I was curious if FAT/FAT32 was a limitation of the Wii, or just the current chosen FS.

Thanks

2. Jacobeian

Member Jacobeian GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Cuba
    This is software limitation only... like all other low-level drivers, it just waits for someone taking its free time to code it. the difference with SDHC or USB2 drivers is that File System is handled by the PowerPC program (not IOS) so this can be more easily developped (look at libfat).

However I think developping NTFS drivers is a LOT harder task because it's a rather closed format and Microsoft's proprietary one (but I might be wrong)

EDIT: thanks remixer

3. drmarvin
    OP

Member drmarvin GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    I'm really curious how different exFAT is from FAT32. I know that a few of the utilities around are linux based so ext2 would probably be easier to implement, but it would be less compatible with Windows users, but from what I read, the exFAT support for linux isn't great with write access. Of course, for any of this to work anyways, we would have to get an SDHC update to ISO Dumper. I wish I could help, but my Wii coding foray was quite the failure.

4. remixer

Newcomer remixer Advanced Member

United States

I think you mean NTFS... we don't wanna confuse the noobs ! [​IMG] [​IMG]