Hardware New Faster Lighter 3DS Console Announced

zeello

The reason we can't have nice things.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The 3D feature is an interesting part of the new models, because I don't believe many people really even care about the 3d anymore. Its like Nintendo is in la la land.

Maybe its just my taste/opinions, but backwards compatibility is an increasingly important feature despite being increasingly neglected.
- There are more systems than ever, we need to lose some
- The improvements with each successive gen are producing diminishing returns. The idea of saying "why would you play a crappy obsolete PS3 game when you have a PS4" is becoming an increasingly unintelligible and ignorant idea.
- Compatibility is a relevant technological feature, it would be like buying a bluray drive that doesn't play DVDs or a music player that doesn't play mp3s.
- Compatibility is a bona fide gaming feature. Who still cares about last gen games? A gamer does. Stripping away BC shows that the device is not really a gaming device but a casual device and/or a money grab.

again, maybe its just me. I used to not care about BC but now I do. But times have changed, and, perhaps more importantly, I was probably an idiot.

Reactions: Nightwish

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
...you will laught, but I had to double-check that. :rofl2 I forgot it was moved from the hinge to the lid, my bad. :P

Not only that, but wasn't one of the features of the New 3DS that it used the camera to track your head and angle the 3D effect to follow you?

Steena

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
On it being too soon... are we not in 2014 where new mobile phones come out every year and, give or take this last go around, massively improve year on year?
3 years later, late 2014 release (which will be 2015 for US/EU), still 240p display, a horrible second analog, and by the way xenoblade drops frames like a bitch I'd say a very minor hardware improvement.
Your point would stand if nintendo actually bothered to give it an update worthy of a 3 year period. Especially considering that the 3DS itself was not a beast on launch. All their revisions are petty, even this one looks to be underwhelming for a 3 years gap and supposed new specs.

The original version of the vita is going to be much stronger than the hardware revision of the 3DS, obviously nintendo's focus is not making the system consistently more advanced here. As it still ranks incredibly low even considering this revision.

Reactions: TemplarGR

BLsquared

Game Programmer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's not how this works... :tpi:
Of all the qualities you could pick, you chose one the DS Lite certainly did not have. :P I do like Super 3DS though - good name.

haha, I guess I could attest to the durabulity; mine only lasted 6-ish years. Long story short, I tried to fix it and failed....
Yeah, Super 3DS would be cool!

koimayeul

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hmm.. Again more confusing offer for the general public, not smart, Big N. With such a business success, you can afford it, though. I'll grant you that much.

Not having any yet, I'll wait for the last revision by 2015 and likely get that new XL, for Bravery Default, SMT and latest Phoenix Wright.

rainparadesamurai

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1) make your first revision barebones with no features whatsoever, making it so competitive in price it will most likely be successful (nintendo realized the 2DS should have been the original 3DS, when they announced it)
2) get game developers on your side, grow a library
3) now with your established brand on the market, make a revision adding in features that were needed since day one
4) force people to buy it by making revision-exclusive games for it
5) in the long run, it's actually much more expensive than purchasing a single feature-rich system once if you consider buying 2 models of the 3DS compared to, say, the vita

This has the potential to become a new pattern in the console process. Why sell a system only once, if people are willing to buy it several times over the course of a generation under the threat of "hardware revision exclusives"? "System exclusives" are not worthy enough hostages anymore, it seems.

A similar case happened with the DSi too, right? Except the DSi came too late when nobody cared about it/had no time to establish itself, I guess they are adjusting their shot at forcing people to buy several systems per generation.
Boy, modern nintendo sure has been walking the modern capcom route.

Something worth noting: the vita suddenly became much cheaper than the 3DS, as existing customers won't have to own a second system to play all the compatible games. Guess I'm done using this argument in the favor of the 3DS now.

I'm only buying this new system if there's significant upgrade program. Maybe if they would allow me to purchase this for only 30 dollars or less when I trade in my old xl.

Katana

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe I'm overlooking, but I don't remember seeing a profile download feature on my 2DS. If I buy one of these consoles, and I have digital downloads, that means that I can't use them via my old profile on the new 3DS. I'd have to create a new profile specifically for the new handheld, which means that I can't access my previous digital purchases. Right? Or is there a way to have my profile/purchases on multiple devices?

zeello

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe I'm overlooking, but I don't remember seeing a profile download feature on my 2DS. If I buy one of these consoles, and I have digital downloads, that means that I can't use them via my old profile on the new 3DS. I'd have to create a new profile specifically for the new handheld, which means that I can't access my previous digital purchases. Right? Or is there a way to have my profile/purchases on multiple devices?

Isn't that what the system transfer feature does?

ieatpixels

Trophies
XP
Country
Lots of whiners here.
The original 3DS was announced 4 years ago. We can't stick to the old hardware forever.

I like the new one, it makes sense.
The 3DS XL and 2DS were improvements over the original, but not replacements since they had bad form factors for portability. The original was still the best to own even though it was flawed.
The New 3DS solves this.
The New XL isn't really needed but it makes it equal.

I like the design and tech of the new 3DS, but not too fond of the coloured buttons.
I never owned a SNES because my parents were Sega fanboys at the time. The buttons just look Xbox coloured to me.
Are any of you Americans annoyed at the colour choice, given that the SNES had purple buttons for your SNES?

The eye tracking 3D is pretty cool IMO, so is the auto brightness thing.
Increased speeds and power are great, it would have been nice if they improved the screens though.
Could have increased the res, added OLED, etc.

I'm sure this model is inspired by the iPhone, given that everyone buys the newer ones each year.
Nintendo knows that revisions sell.
One interesting thing though is the actual rear/top of the new 3DS looks like one of the recent iPhones.

21076.png

the interchangeable faceplates look really cool though. I've wanted to switch that panel on the 3DS XL, but tear downs reveal it's very difficult. Now we can all do it easily.
The themes look great too.

The C stick looks interesting, it appears to be like the analog 'nub' that you get on old laptops, in that it doesn't slide around but you still push it around.

I don't really like the positioning of the stylus & power button.
I like to lean the 3DS on my chest while I lay down, so getting the stylus out will be cumbersome and I might accidentally press the power button.

I wish it had a TV-out function like the one of the PSP revisions introduced.
I hope an unofficial capture device is able to be made for it.

I wonder if the current 3DSes will cease production, what do you guys think?
The 2DS isn't that old.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the interchangeable faceplates look really cool though. I've wanted to switch that panel on the 3DS XL, but tear downs reveal it's very difficult.
its very easy to change them
there is only 4 screws holding the 2 plates on and the rest of it with clips, you dont have to disassemble the whole 3ds to get to them

Reactions: cvskid

rainparadesamurai

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Which one to you chose?
Super 3DS / LL / XL
3DSi / LL / XL
New 3DS / LL / XL
or.....

3DSi if the change isn't too significant, where there's only a few exclusive games and other extra features, but if it really is a big deal just call it the Super 3DS and I think people would understand what it is, unlike this stupidly confusing usage of "new" as its actual name as opposed to simply being an adjective for it.

Katana

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Isn't that what the system transfer feature does?

From what I've read system transfer moves data from one handheld to another, as if you're changing your 'main' handheld, and it's all done locally, yet it's limited. I mean something like the ability to share content between them, similar to how the Xbox 360 limits the sharing to the profile. So if I bought something in console A, the purchase is locked on the profile and the console. Console B would just function with the profile since no purchase was done there.

I ask because if I buy one of these new handhelds I don't want one as a 'main' handheld. I'd like both of them to be that way.

keine

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'll weigh in. I think its dumb and I will think thrice before buying another launch or even post 3 year launch ninty device. As a consumer, its oft putting. I want a company to support its product, not cut it off at the legs every year.
I bought a 3ds at launch for Animal Crossing. I got a paperweight and no games for nearly a year. But by the time AC showed up I had a 3ds xl. And now this. Lame.

Going further. Buying any console nowadays within 2-3 years of launch is a total fools errand. No library and mising out on hardware revisions.

zeello

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From what I've read system transfer moves data from one handheld to another, as if you're changing your 'main' handheld, and it's all done locally, yet it's limited. I mean something like the ability to share content between them, similar to how the Xbox 360 limits the sharing to the profile. So if I bought something in console A, the purchase is locked on the profile and the console. Console B would just function with the profile since no purchase was done there.

I ask because if I buy one of these new handhelds I don't want one as a 'main' handheld. I'd like both of them to be that way.

Nintendo only lets you have one handheld and one WiiU, unfortunately. I think it is kind of silly considering how many versions of 3DS there are. You might have for example a 3DS on the go and XL for home_ but Nintendo doesn't even let you share content brtween the two. Counter intuitive if you ask me, to release so many models but punishing users who buy more than one.

Katana

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo only lets you have one handheld and one WiiU, unfortunately. I think it is kind of silly considering how many versions of 3DS there are. You might have for example a 3DS on the go and XL for home_ but Nintendo doesn't even let you share content brtween the two. Counter intuitive if you ask me, to release so many models but punishing users who buy more than one.

I feel the same way. Especially with this new enhanced model, which to me seems like a way to push a new 3DS and pull back the old one(s). It would be different if the new 3DS was targeted at a certain existant audience, similar to the 2DS, which is the same audience as the 3DS since the compared handhelds function almost the same. This new handheld however has exclusive features and will get exclusive software, so it obviously caters to an entirely new audience.

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
You know what, I understand why there's a need for a New 3DS. A night's sleep does that...

C-stick (and ZR/ZL) built-in vs. optional Circle Pad Pro means more games will use the right stick, not just Monster Hunter and Kid Icarus, etc. Having the C-stick together with built-in NFC eliminates the problem of not being able to connect the future NFP (Nintendo Figurine Platform) device to the 3DS with a Circle Pad Pro attached, as both require the infrared sensor, of which there's only one on the 3DS that can't be shared. So games like Super Smash Bros. will enjoy benefits of both attachments, except they're built-in to the New 3DS.

----

I'm hoping this means that games designed to use the C-stick not exclusive to New 3DS can use a Circle Pad Pro attachment on a regular 3DS, finally adding value to the accessory outside certain games.

Reactions: Issac

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • a_username_that_is_cool @ a_username_that_is_cool:
    DDDS . Dual Developer Dedede System :)
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    also happy birthday @Xdqwerty
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Is it me you're looking for?
  • MysticStarlight @ MysticStarlight:
    'Cause I wonder where you are
    wait I got the lyrics mixed up
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    And I wonder what you do...Lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its all good, I'm here to talk to you.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Hello
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've been playing fallout4 all day, I went into a elevator and it kept going, never stopped, waited 5 minutes, must of been a bug. How bout you, whatcha do today?
    +1
    I'm wondering why a stray tuxedo cat has a cloudy eye
    I've been playing TOTK all day also
    +1
    Oh you reminded me of those elevator nightmares
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Awesome game, fun how they force you to build, but you can build as you want
    It is super fun, I actually prefer it over BoTW
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    The guy holding the sign always cracked me up, esp when you fail, and it falls
    Ah yes, that guy lol. I still need to find all his signs. The game has a lot to do though so I don't know what to finish first
    I'm 120 hours in and am still like 44.4% done
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Good times. Building is starting to get good around now for you. You making me want to make run thru again.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ok good chatting, enjoy your gaming, and avoid the lightning, or put your sword away. Good night.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    All I gotta do is not spend $10 in the next 5 days and I'll break even this month lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa, tell your wife not to forget her wallet
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/YMAa6obDNZs?si=rymChLKeTdyS8nqk