aero125

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Senegal
I'm damn lucky to be out from this mess. I got my replacement of 2*Acekard2 with the 2*J2/GoldDot DSTT from DX. Both work fine without the risk of frying my TF or console.

So the "2 factories " thing was probably BS ...

xJonny

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
PharaohsVizier said:
Gonna mirror this on Youtube.... Much faster than downloading!

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ww2St8fpZXU
Thanks, I was interested in it
biggrin.gif

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
A post in another thread on the R4 forum got me thinking about something. How hard would it be for a commercial game to include the same kind of code as the card killer software?

EmperorOfCanada

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
TrolleyDave said:
A post in another thread on the R4 forum got me thinking about something. How hard would it be for a commercial game to include the same kind of code as the card killer software?

That might be smart in a way, but if they ever went that route it would be suicide for the company publicity wise

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It's also possible that the "fake-killer" program in the video isn't really doing anything but corrupting the microSD card, and that DSTT doesn't intend to put it into any firmware. Perhaps they just want everyone to think that fakes might get destroyed and insist on the real thing even if it costs more (a tactic which would seem to be working at least so far). No negative repercussions from those who inadvertently bought a fake but think it's real, and those who know the difference will return fake ones causing stores to only stock real ones.

Whether it is really possible to destroy a fake DSTT or not, the threat that they might go through with it is actually better for the company than actually going through with it.

So I'll believe that DSTT intends to actually incorporate a real "fake killer" into their firmware when I start seeing hundreds of posts to DX stating that their DSTT doesn't work any more.

But even if a fake DSTT can't be destroyed by a program, that still begs the question of whether it is possible for a commercial game to detect and then corrupt your microSD card. I would think that would be relatively easy to do. Can a commercial ROM utilize DLDI?

-Bri

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
PharaohsVizier said:
TrolleyDave said:

That's an interesting thought. I don't think it would be entirely possible. First off, it may require the source code of the cart to do any real damage, knowing how the internals work, the firmware, etc. As well, I think it might be noted that this software is specifically aimed at the DSTT, which means that these things are most likely cart specific. If Nintendo were to release some cart bricker, it would probably be targetted at the famed R4, or even perhaps the DSTT, asides from that no other cart has gained enough attention to be deemed quite dangerous. Of course not having the actual software this is all speculation, I'm not entirely sure what to think when it does release, it is great in the fact that it will kill clone carts, probably drive up prices, lots of pros and negatives that I don't really want to speculate.

Agreed, but it wouldn't really be too hard for the bods at Nintendo to pull the software apart. Even if the code is relevant for only one cart all it would take is one big release to contain the code and zap, a percentage of peoples carts are made useless. That would probably cause enough confusion and panic for the uneducated to be wary enough about owning them. I can't see it happening with all carts as I'm pretty sure most of the better ones aren't built to self destruct, but it would probably spook the casual pirate who only knows "R4 plays free games yeah".

I'll have to wait and see how effective the software is and how it's run and stuff. Looking at it I'm still not overly convinced it's killing the carts themselves, I'm pretty sure it's just trashing the MicroSD card as I don't think that would be overly difficult using DLDI.

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Bri said:
But even if a fake DSTT can't be destroyed by a program, that still begs the question of whether it is possible for a commercial game to detect and then corrupt your microSD card. I would think that would be relatively easy to do. Can a commercial ROM utilize DLDI?

-Bri

That's what I was thinking. I don't see why a commercial rom couldn't utilize DLDI but I don't really know that much about it. Like you I'm not entirely sure that the fake killer was killing carts, I'm pretty sure it was just trashing the card or the firmware itself and that's when it really got me thinking about whether a commercial game could do it. Cart killer, maybe not, but card killer I'm not too sure about.

I mean I know it wouldn't take long for some talented cracker to write a workaround or for the firmwares themselves to employ the workaround, but it would definitely be enough to spook the casual pirate (which in a way is a good thing I suppose) and to make the newcomer more cautious about it. Slot 1 carts are literally the easiest console pirate device I've seen.

brainstorm

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
wow...death note boy...i love L too....
well..yes...so easy to copy the package things....

Aleatz said:
No. No one personally. I thought I saw it on here, but I think that I was just imagining it or something. I guess we'll just have to play the waiting game on that one.

But I reckon it wouldn't take them too long to copy that packaging. I suppose it depends on a number of factors, but if they caught wind of it early then who knows?

PyroJames

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
After reading all these topics about fake DSTT cards and DX being clueless, I have to do two things now:

1- Switch to a new flashcard. (Cyclo is looking good now.)
2- Not buy from DX anymore.

*sigh*

bulletmark

Trophies
XP
Country
EmperorOfCanada said:
That might be smart in a way, but if they ever went that route it would be suicide for the company publicity wise
Exactly as it is suicide for ndstt.com to be doing what they are doing. Those guys have managed this issue very poorly.

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
bulletmark said:
Exactly as it is suicide for ndstt.com to be doing what they are doing. Those guys have managed this issue very poorly.

Actually, I think the way ndstt.com is handling it is quite clever. If they ever follow through with their threats it would be a big mistake, of course. But I'm guessing they never intended to follow though.

Time will tell, but the threats themselves seem to be working nicely to curtail the selling of clones by stores like DX.

QUOTE(4zndude345 @ Sep 12 2008, 07:30 PM) my say DSTT at the top in the green part where u put micro SD is it fake??

Yours doesn't look like any of the three in the O.P. of this thread? Take a picture of it and post here.

-Bri

the_skdster

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Now watch DSTT sales drop over 70%.
Wonder how DX is taking all this? With what I would think are hundreds of angry customers who now have proof that they have been lied to? Not to mention who also want a refund.
ninja.gif

fathawg

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DX isn't suffering at all. The NEW box and shipment that they had sold out in hours, while the old box DSTT's are still in stock. Looks like everyone has educated themselves and is buying the new proper cards!!

linux_geek

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Silly question, but why would the DSTT team want to even attempt to kill people's flash cards or DSs.
Surely the best option is just to print the big red X like on the video every time you try to use it. So basically it won't work.... why bother killing anything?

I've contacted DX about the fake cards, I've sold loads recently and I had no idea that they could be fakes. I do have the gold dot unfortuantely. I guess time will tell if I get customer returns!

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
As I've said, I doubt that Team DSTT will follow through with their threat to kill the clones. It's possible that they can't even do it and the video they posted was just a scare tactic. It's in their best interests to threaten to follow though without ever actually following through.

It would be a serious mistake if they actually did follow through, as those who bought fakes wouldn't necessarily know they're fakes, and would therefore assume that DSTT's are just incredibly crappy, almost certainly replacing theirs with a different cart.

-Bri

oldcqr

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I always find it comical when people who make a pirate device want to protect that very device from being pirated.

Eventually, someone will find a way around the anti-pirate code, then the DSTT people will create anti-anti-pirate code, then someone else will create anti-anti-anti-pirate code... Etc.. Etc...

I realize that DSTT is a Chinese company, but there could be hell to pay (legally) if their code DOES destroy Micro SDs/DSs or even the pirated cards themselves. Red X? Fine. Destroy stuff? Not good.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Ken just lives in Detroit so reliable power hasn't been invented there yet lol