Hacking New DSTT not working!

HOC

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Got 2 new DSTT's & 2 new Kingston brand Micro SD 2Gb cards all from 'consoleup'. When I format the cards as either FAT or FAT32, then load the software TTMENU Dat file and TTMENU folder, create a new folder(called games) and download a NDS game in to it, I get only as far as the following .....
On the top screen there is TTds logo and the bottom screen has SysOption with headings Icon, Name & Size. At no stage does the nintendo seem to recognise any games on the card. It must recognise that there is a card there as if I remove the card & just insert the DSTT it says 'No Card' which would indicate the DSTT itself is probably okay.
I've tried the cardboard trick to improve contacts between DSTT & Nintendo. Could there be problems with Micro SD contacts maybe?
Am at my wits end. I've formatted the card umpteen times. Tried various versions of the ttmenu software on the NDSTT site or anywhere else I can get it!
Would really appreciate any help.
Thanks.

skarthebloodchild

Keep It Old School
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Have you tried another your dstt's on another ds lite?
Maybe there is a problem with yours.
Kingston made in Japan? Cause you may have errors with the Taiwanese ones.

timtlm

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sounds like your card is working fine since you say it is showing the menu. You difinitely don't have a contact issue since you can see the menu. You must have a problem with the game files you are putting on the card. They have to be files with the extension .nds -- if they are .zip or .rar files, you have to unzip/unrar the .nds files inside them.

HOC

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm wondering if the menu showing - SysOption is associated with the DSTT rather than the Micro SD card? Therefore I can't be too sure if its the memory card or not that's the problem!
The few games I have tried have the NDS extension and have been unzipped!

timtlm

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The SysOption button is supposed to be there (at the top left of the bottom screen). That's part of the menu where you can go and change some different options for the card.

Does it take you to an options menu when you touch SysOption? Is the games folder on the root of the card? It should not be inside the TTMENU folder. Are the .nds files directly in the games folder with no subfolders inside that? You could also try placing a couple of .nds files directly on the root of the card and see if that works, but it is recommended that they are inside a folder, though.

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
timtlm is correct, if you see anything on the screen the DSTT is making contact. The fact that you're seeing the "No Card" icon when the microSD card isn't inserted is also a good sign that your DSTT is making contact.

The problem is almost certainly with your games. You should have a "games" folder at the root of your microSD card (as well as TTMENU.DAT and the TTMENU folder). Place all of your .nds games inside the "games" folder. The DSTT should show you a list of all .nds files that are on your cart.

-Bri

HOC

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
When I select 'SysOption' it brings me in to a menu with 'Default reset' with an option for on or off, then there is the option to select 'PASSME Mode', GBA Mode', Power Off' & Brightness'! It doesn't let me have any other options. This looks like a default menu for the DSTT rather that a menu from the SD card software.

I have put the NDS games straight on to the root of the Micro SD card & also tried putting them in to a folder on their own which I called 'Games'!

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
HOC, I don't know how else to say it. The SysOption menu is part of the firmware that is on your microSD card. The ONLY thing you'll ever see without having firmware installed is an icon that says "No Card" if your microSD card can't be detected (for example, if you don't have one inserted into the DSTT) or an icon that says "Menu?" if your microSD card is detected but doesn't have valid firmware on it.

Since you're seeing the screen that says "SysOption" at the top, it is reading your microSD card correctly, and is making proper contact. That's a good thing. If you still don't believe me, you can replace the folder named "default" that is in the "skin" folder of the "TTMENU" folder with a custom skin, and you'll see that your background and icons will change from the default DSTT one.

Now, let's figure out why it isn't finding your games, shall we? Do the games you're putting on your microSD card (preferably in a "games" folder which is on the root of your card) have an ".nds" extension?

-Bri

HOC

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sorry for confusing you there Bri! That's clear now that the SysOption is part of the firmware, thanks. I'm delighted to hear that. The games have NDS in their extension. This is an example of one I downloaded and unzipped ....0457_Brain_Age_EUR_NDS-Supremacy[1] also tried 0201_Mario_Kart_DS_EUR_NDS-Spliff[1].

timtlm

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, the file names on your SD card in the games folder are:
0457_Brain_Age_EUR_NDS-Supremacy[1].nds
0201_Mario_Kart_DS_EUR_NDS-Spliff[1].nds

???

They must specifically have the .nds at the end of the file name. Sorry, I know this is sounding repetitive, but this is the only possible problem I think it can be other than the game files being bad. Then you might need to try downloading from somewhere else.

HOC

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Will try that Timtlm. Thanks a mill. Am a bit slow on the uptake sometimes. Will post how it goes.

timtlm

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can't just rename the files and hope that it will work... Let's try this first. Right-Click on your one of your games files, and click properties. On the general tab, what does it say next to "Type of File:"?

I am assuming you are using a windows PC here, so if you aren't, correct me...

HOC

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yes, using a PC. Right clicked on file and under properties / 'General tab' it says 'type:' 'File folder'. It states the file is unzipped also.

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
HOC,

It sounds like your files are .zip files. You probably have the extensions turned off on your PC so you can't tell what the full filename is. You have to unzip the .zip file to get the .nds file that is inside.

-Bri

timtlm

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
HOC said:
Yes, using a PC. Right clicked on file and under properties / 'General tab' it says 'type:' 'File folder'. It states the file is unzipped also.

OK, here's the problem -- what you have there is a file folder not a nds rom file. What you need to do is open that folder on your computer and look at what is inside. There is likely another zip file in that folder. (often times nds roms are located inside another zip file embedded within the original zip file) So, locate the next zip file, and unzip what is inside there. You are specifically looking for a file with .nds at the end. All of the other files you don't need, just delete them. If you don't see a file with the .nds at the end and there are no more zip files within, you can use the right-click properties method, and it will say NDS file in the file type. Once you have that .nds file, then place it in the games folder, and your DSTT will recognize the game and show it in the menu.

HOC

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thank you guys! You were right! There was an NDS file inside the file folder which as you suggested I unzipped & there was the game when I put the memory card in the DSTT! Am thrilled. Only but for your help & I would have sent the gear back! Its a pity there isn't more information from the suppliers of this equipment - it would save an awful lot of time trawling through tons of information.
Thrilled to bits......thanks.

timtlm

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Glad we could help. You pretty much have to depend on forums like these for help with products like these. You would have had the same problem with any other kind of flash cart too if you loaded the games on there the same way that you did. You just have to dig around your downloaded files to find the actual game file to put on the SD card. All you need is the .nds file. Don't waste space on your sd card by keeping the zipped files and the other files that you found inside. Have fun!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-