XP
Country
Canada
Raven Darkheart said:
new iDS COMING OUT NEXT YEAR
now you cheap bastards can save up
I have the money now
tongue.gif

QUOTEhmm with the SD slot and firmware settings, does this mean the end of m3/r4 and the like?
What do you think?!? Nintendo will just let you play roms on the SD with THERE firmware!? My guess is that the DSi will have a hack like the PSP but you'll need a cart to get it on.

LTK

Trophies
XP
Country
playallday said:
Raven Darkheart said:
new iDS COMING OUT NEXT YEAR
now you cheap bastards can save up
I have the money now
tongue.gif

QUOTEhmm with the SD slot and firmware settings, does this mean the end of m3/r4 and the like?
What do you think?!? Nintendo will just let you play roms on the SD with THERE firmware!? My guess is that the DSi will have a hack like the PSP but you'll need a cart to get it on.

No, but maybe someone will make something to go on a SD card that overwrites the official firmware.
I'm not that tech-smart but it doesn't sound too farfetched.
wacko.gif

Sehjenkai

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
LTK said:
hmm with the SD slot and firmware settings, does this mean the end of m3/r4 and the like?

maybe i'm thinking we can just us the sd card from the flash cart models and play teh games for the Sd cart slot and such

I do hope there is no touch screen though

nintendo will have truly shots themselves in the face if they do

because that means all DSL and Phat DS owners won't be able to get new games and there for have to get the DSI

LTK

Trophies
XP
Country
Sehjenkai said:
LTK said:
hmm with the SD slot and firmware settings, does this mean the end of m3/r4 and the like?

maybe i'm thinking we can just us the sd card from the flash cart models and play teh games for the Sd cart slot and such

because that means all DSL and Phat DS owners won't be able to get new games and there for have to get the DSI

The DSi only has 1 touch screen. (like the DSlite)

Doomsday Forte

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
There already is a "custom" firmware for the DS, called FlashMe. Not really custom, but it's definitely something that overwrites the original factory FW, as far as I know.

ENDscape

REBORN! I will post with my Dying Will!!!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Doomsday Forte said:
There already is a "custom" firmware for the DS, called FlashMe. Not really custom, but it's definitely something that overwrites the original factory FW, as far as I know.

At least make something where you can use the sd card instead of a flashcart. I guess no one would buy them (flashcart) now if this is possible
ninja.gif

Hit

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
ENDscape said:
Maybe it can have cfw like the PSP
ohmy.gif
Course it can, there are already some Custom Firmwares for Regular DS's/Lite's but they suck
And nobody is going to be interested to make custom firmwares for a device that is dying and old
Just my thoughts

playallday

Group: GBAtemp Ghost
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Doomsday Forte said:
I know about FlashMe but it isn't really 'custom'.

Sehjenkai

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
LTK said:
Sehjenkai said:
LTK said:

The DSi only has 1 touch screen. (like the DSlite)

good then there is no reason for me to get this
smile.gif

Dunny

Trophies
XP
Country
playallday said:
DrKupo said:
go185 said:
Wolfsclaw said:
No way i'll be getting that.... I'm rather aiming for a Pandora
smile.gif

Which costs almost two times as much...

and has no real games coming to it
And will drop the price in half soon because no one will buy it.

I know this is probably totally the wrong crowd to try and explain this to but:

The pandora has more than enough speed (way more) to emulate the DS. It also has a touchscreen, and a large enough screen (800x480) area to put both DS screens on it at once. It can already do GBA emulation, and full speed SNES - Chrono Trigger runs smooth as hell, full speed Amiga, Megadrive, PC Engine, Jaguar and PS1, with fullspeed N64 emulation on the way.

It's slightly larger than the DSL. As well as the Dpad and face buttons (ABXY), there's two analogue controllers, and a keyboard. And Wifi, and bluetooth. Twin SDHC slots. TV-Out. OMAP 3 running the latest generation of ARM CPUs, which makes it (very) roughly equivalent to a 1.4ghz ARM9. Overclockable from the default 600mhz to 900mhz with no side effects. 10 hours of battery on one charge, USB/AC charging. Full USB host. Oh, and a very, very fast PowerVR 3D accelerator.

But the best part is that it's completely open.

No firmware will try to lock you out. It runs linux, but transparently (though Ubuntu runs fine on it) - all you want to do is done via a menu. It runs firefox, and any other linux app you care to try. It runs Quake 3, and should be powerful enough to run Doom3 when the source is made public. Homebrew is just a case of dropping it onto your SD Card (or transferring over the USB/Wifi network).

There's already an enormous library of games waiting to be ported, and many already have been. It's pretty much source compatible with the GP2x, so there's a shitload of software already there for you.

No, there's no big developers behind this. That's why it's so expensive. Ninty and Sony make a loss on their consoles, because they recoup that loss through game sales. Pandora can't do that, as all the software is free.

Besides, despite the price and the shouts of "obvious fail" from guys like you, the pandora has sold out in the first two days of pre-order sales. Obvious fail, yeah [/sarcasm].

I'm quite glad that ninty announced this now - I feel even better about my pandora pre-order, and look forward to getting it sometime between now and the end of november!

:-)

D.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Firefox users be like "look at what they have to do to mimic a fraction of our power."