Country
Canada
Okay, so after a long time of asking for a newer computer than my old one:

OLD PC SPECS:
MSI Motherboard (Very old)
Intel Pentium 4 (2.4Ghz)
1.5GB RAM DDR2
ATI Radeon 9550

My dad finally took out his computer parts from the case and placed them in mine
smile.gif
Here are the specs: (This computer is from about 2007-08)

DAD'S OLD PC SPECS:
ASUS Motherboard (2006)
Intel Pentium Dual-Core (3.2Ghz)
4GB RAM DDR2 (type, is uncertain)
ATI Radeon HD3650

So is this an okay gaming rig? (It certainly is better in my eyes, since I had a worse computer that couldn't even run L4D at a playable speed)

Also I have a question about Starcraft. I recently found the old disc of SC + BroodWar and decided to install it on Windows 7 (Ultimate).
When I ran the game the colors were all out-of-place, and looked like some demented rainbow (horrible descriptive words). Anyways does
anyone know how I can fix this color error? Maybe run it in 256 Colors? I've also tried combatibility mode but it didn't work as planned :/.

Elritha

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Bently said:
Also I have a question about Starcraft. I recently found the old disc of SC + BroodWar and decided to install it on Windows 7 (Ultimate).
When I ran the game the colors were all out-of-place, and looked like some demented rainbow (horrible descriptive words). Anyways does
anyone know how I can fix this color error? Maybe run it in 256 Colors? I've also tried combatibility mode but it didn't work as planned :/.

Try this for colour fix.
http://forums.battle.net/thread.html?topic...81&sid=3000

TheWingless

Wafuu~
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Well if you play a Source game with an ATI 3650, you'll play it fine since they still aim for the NVIDIA 8600 gt audience. I can play SC2 and such at an okay resolution as well, but those aren't as intensive as say Crysis or something of the sort.

I had that problem with SC as well... But I don't remember what I did to fix it. I think I heard people saying killing explorer before you play works, but then you have to run it from the Task Manager. I can't remember if it actually worked. I don't have SC anymore on my computer after a reinstall though.

EDIT: I'll have to try Edhel's solution out...

Dialga.The.Maste

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
taskkill /f /IM explorer.exe
C:\"Program Files"\"Starcraft"\"StarCraft.exe"
start explorer.exe

Open notepad and paste the text in the spoiler
Save as SC.bat(Click ALL FILES *.*)
open SC.bat
set colour to 256

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Bently said:
Download this, say "yes" and you're set to go.
http://www.sevenforums.com/attachments/gam...t-way-sc116.reg

EDIT: Crap, got distracted and Edhel posted this before me
tongue.gif
Oh well, the link in that thread is dead, so this post is still a good thing
tongue.gif

Bently

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Edhel said:
Bently said:

Try this for colour fix.
http://forums.battle.net/thread.html?topic...81&sid=3000

Thanks that was quick
biggrin.gif
, im gonna try it tommorow.

QUOTE(TheWingless @ Mar 26 2010, 10:25 PM)
Well if you play a Source game with an ATI 3650, you'll play it fine since they still aim for the NVIDIA 8600 gt audience. I can play SC2 and such at an okay resolution as well, but those aren't as intensive as say Crysis or something of the sort.

I had that problem with SC as well... But I don't remember what I did to fix it. I think I heard people saying killing explorer before you play works, but then you have to run it from the Task Manager. I can't remember if it actually worked. I don't have SC anymore on my computer after a reinstall though.

EDIT: I'll have to try Edhel's solution out...

A source game? o_o what do you mean by that? Lol I never played Crysis before but I've heard it needs a good new computer to run it at a good speed.

EDIT:

@Diagla
I'm not willing to try and kill the explorer, but thanks for trying to help
biggrin.gif

@raulpica
Thanks for that link, hopefully it works x).

raulpica

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Killing explorer works, but it's quite the annoyance to do that. I like alt-tabbing like a madman when I play.

The reg patch above (the colour fix) was just tested by me minutes ago. It works perfectly
tongue.gif

Bently

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
raulpica said:
Killing explorer works, but it's quite the annoyance to do that. I like alt-tabbing like a madman when I play.

The reg patch above (the colour fix) was just tested by me minutes ago. It works perfectly
tongue.gif

Forgot to ask but does it also work for 64bit?

raulpica

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Bently said:
raulpica said:

tongue.gif

I'm on 7 Ultimate 64bit
tongue.gif

Bently

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
raulpica said:
Bently said:
raulpica said:

tongue.gif

I'm on 7 Ultimate 64bit
tongue.gif

Alright, good to know
wink.gif
Thanks ill reply tommorow whether or not it was a success.

TheWingless

Wafuu~
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Bently said:
TheWingless said:

A source game? o_o what do you mean by that? Lol I never played Crysis before but I've heard it needs a good new computer to run it at a good speed.
A game that runs on the Source engine basically. Valve uses it to make with their games, like Team Fortress 2, Half Life 2, Left 4 Dead, etc.

Bently

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
TheWingless said:
Bently said:
TheWingless said:

A game that runs on the Source engine basically. Valve uses it to make with their games, like Team Fortress 2, Half Life 2, Left 4 Dead, etc.

I see, but my old computer could run TF2, and Half-Life 2 at a great speed, no slowdowns.

Bently

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
raulpica said:
Bently said:
Download this, say "yes" and you're set to go.
http://www.sevenforums.com/attachments/gam...t-way-sc116.reg

EDIT: Crap, got distracted and Edhel posted this before me
tongue.gif
Oh well, the link in that thread is dead, so this post is still a good thing
tongue.gif

Okay so i just tested it, it didn't work...
But i found the problem in the matter of minutes.
This is for 1.16.1, I have 1.05
tongue.gif
Installing patch atm.

EDIT: Works great thanks
biggrin.gif
Will request a mod to close.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users