New Computer-File Transfer

science

science rules
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have a new computer, and I wan't to know the easiest way to get my old files from my old comp onto my new comp. I'm at schol and can't research. Thanks.

nloding

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Forget about programs or settings, those are too difficult to transfer -- just reinstall your programs and tweak your settings like you did the first time around.

As for data, four things: like veho said, put your old hard drive in the new tower as a secondary drive (this isn't possible on laptops though). Or, get a large USB flash drive (2GB-4GB) and transfer data that way; or, network the systems together and share the drive on the old computer; or, get an external hard drive enclosure and put the old hard drive inside of it

zone97

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I have a new computer, and I wan't to know the easiest way to get my old files from my old comp onto my new comp. I'm at school and can't research. Thanks.

I'm an IT Manager... Here is how its done in my server room.

use a program that all xp systems have built in..

Option #1 (recommended)
Go to start/all programs/accessories/system tools/Files and Settings Transfer Wizard

Here is the details from microsoft. http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechn...y/mgrtfset.mspx

This will allow you to copy all of your settings over to a new PC. They will need to be networked or you will need some blank DVD's to burn all the data on. It will take some time so don't start this if you are going to be impatient and want to play on your new PC. You could you another process.

Option #2
Go to start/all programs/accessories/system tools/backup

This is the NTbackup utility it will clone your system. The first method keeps your new OS in place. Say going from XP Pro to XP Media center ect... Using option #2 will make your new machine the same as your old. Not recommended if the hardware is different. Which it is being that its a new computer.

GameGeezer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I have a new computer, and I wan't to know the easiest way to get my old files from my old comp onto my new comp. I'm at school and can't research. Thanks.

I'm an IT Manager... Here is how its done in my server room.

use a program that all xp systems have built in..

Option #1 (recommended)
Go to start/all programs/accessories/system tools/Files and Settings Transfer Wizard

Here is the details from microsoft. http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechn...y/mgrtfset.mspx

This will allow you to copy all of your settings over to a new PC. They will need to be networked or you will need some blank DVD's to burn all the data on. It will take some time so don't start this if you are going to be impatient and want to play on your new PC. You could you another process.

Option #2
Go to start/all programs/accessories/system tools/backup

This is the NTbackup utility it will clone your system. The first method keeps your new OS in place. Say going from XP Pro to XP Media center ect... Using option #2 will make your new machine the same as your old. Not recommended if the hardware is different. Which it is being that its a new computer.

Just as a side note: Windows Vista comes with the same type of transfer Utility that Windows XP had. After installation it gives you the option to transfer programs and files from an old computer.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I know this feeling well (my new PC is now set up and I only have to overclock it), personally I suggest redownloading apps (I know it is a pain but it is sure to work and makes sure you have the best versions for the task) and transfering data via USB stick/drive/flying donkey.

put your old hard drive in the new tower as a secondary drive (this isn't possible on laptops though)

For the record it is entirely possible to run a laptop drive internally (and externally via a caddy) from a desktop machine:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?Module...C=SEO&U=strat15

@GameGeezer the guy just got a new computer why would you want ot go and mess it up with vista now.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1