New Computer-File Transfer

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by science, Feb 1, 2007.

Feb 1, 2007

New Computer-File Transfer by science at 3:39 PM (938 Views / 0 Likes) 5 replies

1. science
    OP

Member science science rules

Canada
    I have a new computer, and I wan't to know the easiest way to get my old files from my old comp onto my new comp. I'm at schol and can't research. Thanks.

2. Veho

Global Moderator Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Croatia
    Just put your old disk as a second drive in your new computer.

3. nloding

Member nloding GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Forget about programs or settings, those are too difficult to transfer -- just reinstall your programs and tweak your settings like you did the first time around.

As for data, four things: like veho said, put your old hard drive in the new tower as a secondary drive (this isn't possible on laptops though). Or, get a large USB flash drive (2GB-4GB) and transfer data that way; or, network the systems together and share the drive on the old computer; or, get an external hard drive enclosure and put the old hard drive inside of it

4. zone97

Member zone97 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I'm an IT Manager... Here is how its done in my server room.

use a program that all xp systems have built in..

Option #1 (recommended)
    Go to start/all programs/accessories/system tools/Files and Settings Transfer Wizard

Here is the details from microsoft. http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechn...y/mgrtfset.mspx

This will allow you to copy all of your settings over to a new PC. They will need to be networked or you will need some blank DVD's to burn all the data on. It will take some time so don't start this if you are going to be impatient and want to play on your new PC. You could you another process.

Option #2
    Go to start/all programs/accessories/system tools/backup

This is the NTbackup utility it will clone your system. The first method keeps your new OS in place. Say going from XP Pro to XP Media center ect... Using option #2 will make your new machine the same as your old. Not recommended if the hardware is different. Which it is being that its a new computer.

5. GameGeezer

Member GameGeezer GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Just as a side note: Windows Vista comes with the same type of transfer Utility that Windows XP had. After installation it gives you the option to transfer programs and files from an old computer.

6. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    I know this feeling well (my new PC is now set up and I only have to overclock it), personally I suggest redownloading apps (I know it is a pain but it is sure to work and makes sure you have the best versions for the task) and transfering data via USB stick/drive/flying donkey.

For the record it is entirely possible to run a laptop drive internally (and externally via a caddy) from a desktop machine:
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?Module...C=SEO&U=strat15

@GameGeezer the guy just got a new computer why would you want ot go and mess it up with vista now.