New computer build keeps freezing

CheatingSoi

Graphic Designer
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I honestly don't know where to turn. I feel really stuck. If someone can help me, I would be so grateful. Last week, I ordered the parts and built my second PC. It all went really well and I researched for a long time to make sure everything worked together. It booted up on my first try. But after installing Windows 8.1, it keeps freezing on me. It seems to be when I use the internet. It's at complete random but sometimes when I click on a link or open a new tab, it will say "waiting for cache" at the bottom with a blank screen. At this point if I try to open any other tab or anything it will not load. After a few seconds, everything starts to lock up, other programs, the start bar. Then about 30 seconds later the screen flickers and everything comes back into action. I looked it up and have tried numerous things, like moving a folder that chrome uses to the C drive and a bunch of other things. It is not helping at all. The other issue is that I can't tell if it's just related to the browser. It seems that sometimes it will lock up when not using the browser but I haven't confirmed that. I can seem to play games and use my Adobe programs without freezing. I just don't know what to do, because it seems like such an odd problem and if I took it in somewhere, its hard to reproduce because sometimes it doesn't lock up for a long time. I have re-installed Windows and it still doesn't help. I used Memtest to test my RAM and everything turned up fine. No errors. If anyone has any ideas of what to do or at least could direct me to somewhere I can get help, I would appreciate it so much. I just can't stand not being able to happily use my new build and I feel like I wasted $1000+ until I can get it working. I hate that I would rather use my 5-year old computer just because it's more stable.

matt123337

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Can you post your hardware specs? And have you tried a different browser, like firefox? Do you got your GPU drivers installed, and updated (Windows fallsback to a generic VGA driver when one for your gfx card isn't found, so even if it's wokring doesn't mean you got it installed)?

And please don't post in word walls, it make it really difficult to read.

Reactions: Originality

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
To me this sounds like either an IO error in the primary HDD or a program you've installed eating up all the internal bandwidth. Could also be a RAM issue, but you've kinda ruled that out with memtest. The other idea I've got is possibly a bad Windows install (did you pirate it?) but I don't know how to detect nor fix that.

I would suggest swapping the port the HDD is plugged in, replugging the HDD cables, and running tests on your HDD to check for stability and bad sectors. You can also look through your installed program's list to find anything there that shouldn't be, but that part is harder to give specific instructions with (I use intuition and google).

CheatingSoi

Graphic Designer
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry about the world-wall. Lol, I honestly thought of it after I posted. Anyways, I have swapped Sata ports, tried a different sata cable. None of that helped. I tried Firefox and it froze on me as well. My Windows 8.1 is genuine. And I have all the latest GPU drivers. My only thoughts were to install Windows on another HDD or remove some of my RAM, but I feel like it's not the RAM because of Memtest and I don't want to go through the trouble of re-installing Windows again by switching to another drive. But I suppose if I have to.

• This is my build. Just copied and pasted it from Newegg, so sorry if it ends up a little messy.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
If Windows is on the SSD, have you checked if the SSD is in the latest firmware? Also, check if TRIM is enabled (should be, but check anyway).

EDIT: also, check what temperature the CPU is running at.
EDIT2: and one more thing, remove 2 of the RAM DIMMs. Check if its stable with just 2 DIMMS in dual channel mode. If not, take out the third DIMM and see if its stable in single channel mode.

CheatingSoi

Graphic Designer
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All great ideas. How do I update SSD firmware and check TRIM? And I will try the RAM thing. I really appreciate the quick responses.

Nevermind about TRIM. I just checked. It is enabled and CPU is at 30 degrees Celsius.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Update SSD firmware using the toolkit provided by the manufacturer. e.g. Samsung Magician. Too much effort to find out for PNY on my phone's internet.

It might be a good idea for you to install (any) Windows on the HDD, even if only to check if the problem persists from a fresh install on a HDD.

CheatingSoi

Graphic Designer
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, that honestly was my last thought. I just hate to do it since I spent a good amount of time setting everything up on my SSD. I hate then when you install Windows on a different drive, it stops working on the previous one. Is there any way around that?

gifi4

How am I a 'New Member'?
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah, that honestly was my last thought. I just hate to do it since I spent a good amount of time setting everything up on my SSD. I hate then when you install Windows on a different drive, it stops working on the previous one. Is there any way around that?
What do you mean?
The computer boots into the new Windows installation on the new drive?
The BIOS (Or UEFI) is where you can change what drive the computer uses to boot.

CheatingSoi

Graphic Designer
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In my experience, when you install Windows on a different drive, with the same key, it stops working on the old drive. Maybe I'm wrong but that's what I seem to remember.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
The way to stop it from breaking the install on your SSD? Remove the SSD when you install it. That way the boot sector won't be rewritten to accommodate multiboot.

EDIT: Also, don't use a key. Use the 30 day trial before activation window.
EDIT2: Also, doesn't have to be Windows 8 you use on the HDD. Could be Windows XP or 7. You're only doing this to troubleshoot, and will likely wipe it afterwards.

matt123337

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Before you install another windows, did you move your browsers cache off the SSD onto your HDD? If not try that (here for firefox, and it looks like this works for chrome)

If moving it reduces the freezing, you're hitting the internal bandwidth of your SSD, try moving other temporary folders onto your main HDD to see if that helps.

CheatingSoi

Graphic Designer
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I installed Windows on my HDD. So far it seems to be working fine. But I am going to continue using it to make sure. If that SSD is the issue, what should I do, should I send it back for a replacement, or maybe a different brand altogether? Or should I try some more things like moving the cache. I previously moved the cache out of the Chrome folder and onto the root C drive in the SSD, but maybe putting it on the HDD would be a better idea?

matt123337

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I installed Windows on my HDD. So far it seems to be working fine. But I am going to continue using it to make sure. If that SSD is the issue, what should I do, should I send it back for a replacement, or maybe a different brand altogether? Or should I try some more things like moving the cache. I previously moved the cache out of the Chrome folder and onto the root C drive in the SSD, but maybe putting it on the HDD would be a better idea?
moving it to the root of the C: drive will do nothing, it will still take the same bandwidth to read it. Try it on the HDD.

CheatingSoi

Graphic Designer
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now I'm having trouble. Because I previously moved it to the root of the C drive and now I'm having trouble moving it back or anywhere else from there as it is already a link. Everything I try doesn't work.

CheatingSoi

Graphic Designer
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Who says I'm using it for gaming?

Anyways, I kind of figured out some work-arounds. I have my cache for Chrome and Firefox on my HDD now. So far so good.

CheatingSoi

Graphic Designer
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Haha, well honestly, I just got it because I wanted it. I mainly use my computer for video editing and Photoshop. But because I can, I'm sure I'll play the occasional game.

Reactions: netnerd

jonthedit

Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
Oh man. Sounds to me like the above posts are correct, or if you have a NVIDIA card you are experiencing the dreaded freezing issues associated with a memory leak in the drivers.
Try reverting to an older driver for your GPU.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-