www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
ds.gif
New "budget" slot-1 coming from M3 Team
Low on price, low on features
m3q.png
A new slot-1 card targeted toward the money-conscious buyer will be released soon from the team that have given us the M3 range of carts. The new card will not fall under the M3 branding and will not use the new beta OS 'Sakura'. This one-trick card will supposedly be low on extra features but will offer "100% ROM compatibility" and fast "support and updates". It will retail for a low price to compete with the other budget carts on the market such as the recently released 'Acekard 2'.

Do we really need more flash carts? Is piracy getting too convenient? Are budget carts that don't bring anything new to the table a good idea? Let us hear your thoughts!

Stay tuned to GBAtemp for more news updates.

Fat D

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
except that this doesn't increase competition. Two of the most affordable cards are already under the M3 brand.

Renegade_R

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
$15-20, compatibility of the other M3 reals, EPIC WIN.

But I find it kind of ironic, a budget cart for the pirate. Why does piracy have to suddenly be so easy in every aspect. Oh what a shame.

tjas

The Gbatemp HRManager
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Renegade_R said:

But I find it kind of ironic, a budget cart for the pirate. Why does piracy have to suddenly be so easy in every aspect. Oh what a shame.
Totally true.. when do we get the ''platinum editions?'' or the ''players choice'' range
tongue.gif
no.. then it would be ''Pirates choice award!''

Renegade_R

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If this kind of cart is 'low on the features'...I have a feeling something like DLDI would not even come standard on a cart like this. If homebrewers don't buy it, then this cart is PRIMARILY for piracy such as the R4...

Shinji

҉҉ ҉҉
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United States
Heres the official Feature List for the Simply...what can they afford to drop?!
QUOTE said:
* The same size as an original DS card. (This late in the game, yeah right)
* Build in PassMe (no need for boot card or anything else). (Are there any Slot-1 cards that DONT work as passme? Still I doubt this is it...)
* Uses Micro-SD card (Transflash) as external storage. Cheap & varied usage. (It already says cheap
cry.gif
)

* Boots clean dumped images. (Hmm, definately not)
* Super simple to use. Just drag and drop files over to the micro SD card. No drivers required. (lets make a cheaper product by making it harder to use? nah)
* Standard FAT system support. (donno much about this one
tongue.gif
)

* Supports different speeds of Micro-SD cards, even the lowest speed. Run games without any lag or slow down. (again, definately not it)
* Upgradeable Firmware (OS/BIOS/Kernel). (ditto)
* Touch screen control & robust skinning support. (is this a make or break item in the $$ department? haha)
* No need of battery. Backs up the save file onto the Micro-SD card directly. Never lose your saves. (pass
tongue.gif
)

* Auto detects the save type & automatically generates the saver file. ( hmmm)
* Homebrew support (via DLDI). (step backwards, why would our beloved M3 team do that?)
* Directly watch movies, listen to MP3s & read text on the DS via the use of Moonshell. (nooooooooo comment)
* Supports Wi-Fi, DS Rumble Pack & DS Browser. (my brain just broke)

Maybe they'll just make it even cheaper (FEELING)
wtf.gif

bulgarion

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Piracy has *always* been "convenient". I've had a GBA, then a GBA SP and now a NDSL, and NEVER purchased and original game. It's not flash cards that are inexpensive, it's games that cost too much.

Extreme Coder

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Egypt
bulgarion said:
Piracy has *always* been "convenient". I've had a GBA, then a GBA SP and now a NDSL, and NEVER purchased and original game. It's not flash cards that are inexpensive, it's games that cost too much.
Atleast you can buy them.. Piracy here is the ONLY way to get NDS/GBA/PSP games :/

Posts merged

Also, I'm not sure if I missed this, but what is this beta OS named Sakura?

Joey Ravn

F*** you, Nintendo!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Well, I don't think flashcarts nowadays are what you may call expensive. Unless this is really, really cheap, at about $15-20, I see no reason to release yet another flashcart. Even less reasons being from the M3 Team, which already hast TWO flashcarts in the market...

Kyosys

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Maybe it won't be homebrew compatible?

I really can't imagine how they would cut down the production costs...

754boy

:D
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Joey Ravn said:
Well, I don't think flashcarts nowadays are what you may call expensive. Unless this is really, really cheap, at about $15-20, I see no reason to release yet another flashcart. Even less reasons being from the M3 Team, which already hast TWO flashcarts in the market...

Thats what I'm saying lol, not like these things are too expensive right now anymore. Unless its sub $20US with shipping included then I don't see the point lol.
rolleyes.gif

JPH

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
jphtemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Renegade_R said:

Yeah - if this card has the same compatibility as the M3 carts and is fairly cheap - I'll probably get one.

I mean, sure, they won't have as much features - but who needs ot watch movies or listen to music on DS?

Woot
grog.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: