hrth.gif
Code name "xN5" ?

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why are you all assuming they're going to cut features from the Simply? The least featureful (not a word, should be) cart on the market?

Its obvious that they're referring to the M3 Real, and that this is going to be the successor of the aforementioned Simply (which wasn't developed by the M3 team anyways).

Smiths

AKAIO Person of Interest TAGS ARE THE BEST
Developer
Trophies
Website
www.gamergeddon.com
XP
Country
United States
theory is it's a piracy cart that uses the DLDI of the m3 simply (so it'll already be support).

So it'll be drag-drop roms and play them. but updates will not be focused on incompatible homebrew.

Soft-reset/cheats/etc. may not even be included. Again, my theory, it'll be a card that the Nintendo DS recognizes as an official DS game and loads it as such (like old FlashAdvance cartridges for the GBA)

Kellicros

Trophies
XP
Country
Uh, it doesn't makes sense. I can understand if they have to cut out some hardware to make it cheaper, but aren't all flashcarts basically the same except the firmware programing(the features thats it)? I mean, it is too stupid to not include cheats and soft-reset, back light settings, etc, among the other things if they are programmable on the flashcart's firmware. *shrugs*

T3Sm0

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly I can't understand the "piracy-argument".
Piracy has always been an isue, true.
But imagine it is homebrew compatible, thus making homebrew on both ends, development and user more affordable.

nintennuendo

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
pretzelmonitor.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
I have to say More cards does not equal better for the consumer. I frequent the DS Hardware board on GameFAQs and there are at least 10 topics a day asking what an R4 is. Even more asking which card is better. There is already an overwhelming amount to choose from, there is a good variety.

I spent $140 for my CycloDS card, a 6gb sandisk card and for shipping(my girlfriend bought me my ds for my birthday

mrbass

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Doggy124 said:
or A M3 Simply SDHC (with lower price)

= R4 SDHC ?

yep an M3 Simply with SDHC is all I really want. Don't need want any additonal features. Cheap would be $30 to $35 for me...cheaper than $44 like is was before. The 4GB class 6 SDHC cards are down to $20 now so this combo would be great. EDGE should be coming out mid April so I may end up going for that one we'll see.

CZroe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is this new development due to the rumored closure of the R4 factory (M3 DS simply was identical to the R4)?

Anyway, I want a card that lets me boot the DS menu without hijacking it and lets me see the game I want to play from there, even if it requires a reboot (boot card's OS; select game; reboot card; game appears in menu just like an original would). That's functionality I haven't seen since GB flash carts. In other words, I want a true "linker" cart. Sure, I want the option of having a multi-game menu, but I also want to simulate an original game card at boot. This may mean no "direct save to SD" support, and I'd prefer it that way (the save/restore functionality for GB linker carts also allowed save backup and swapping with original game paks).

This would also allow you to use an Action Replay with your backup or allow DS Download Play for things that could now access a backup exactly like an original.

I was wondering: Why do most flashcards hijack you into their menu just because they can? I have a DS-X, Action Replay, M3 DS real, and Max Media Dock/Player. The only one that doesn't is the DS-X, though it still has no way to show the game you want instead of itself (setting autoboot and rebooting doesn't do it).

Urza said:
Why are you all assuming they're going to cut features from the Simply? The least featureful (not a word, should be) cart on the market?

Its obvious that they're referring to the M3 Real, and that this is going to be the successor of the aforementioned Simply (which wasn't developed by the M3 team anyways).
What are you talking about? No one would call the R4 "most featureless," and the M3s is the exact same as the R4 and it can even run the R4's system files. It's nothing more than a jumper inside that prevents it from doing so without modification, which means that it's by design from the manufacturer (the same manufacturer makes both cards and put in a M3s/R4 jumper switch that the system software checks). Some people point to build quality differences, but these are actually attributed more to manufacture dates than differences (the spring-loaded mSD slots have come and gone and come again with price/availability on the parts market, not difference to the R4). If R4 never had similar variation, it was because they ordered and warehoused stock which they sold from when the factory was making them differently.

Sinkhead

yay p1ngpong.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
CZroe said:
What are you talking about? No one would call the R4 "most featureless,"
It's not the most featureless of all the flashcarts, but as a flashcarts go it's pretty light-going on the extras. I'm not saying it's a bad cart, it does what most people want, but you can't deny that it's not exactly a 'deluxe' cart.

serco16

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
nightwalker said:
that's probably why they want to start off from scratch
wink.gif
And what about m3 real owners? "Sooooorrryyyyy........NOT"
Price cuts could come from shell and pcb quality i guess. Or some really cheap chips?
Either way, if it keeps the m3 trend, it will be for sure a win.
Cheers.

BurlyEd

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The easiest way to cut production cost is to just put the bare M3 Real in a plastic bag with a little piece of paper with the url for download and instructions. No USB adapter, no CD, no box - nuttin'. This could cut retail by ~$10-$15? This would be OK by me!

grog.gif
lecture.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Sicklyboy, Hey