New 3DS Xl Sleep Mode bug?

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Noobly300, Apr 23, 2017.

1. Noobly300
    OP

Noobly300 Member

Newcomer
    Apr 23, 2017
    United States
    I have a new 3ds xl that I bought around New Years, it worked fine and everything until I accidently bricked it while updating and turning off the device on accident. It was on 11.2. I ended up ordering a new motherboard off of eBay and it was on 10.3 same region. So as I replaced it, it turned on just fine but the only problem I have right now that is really ticking me off is that it has a sort of sleep mode issue in which if i close the system it still says on, no matter what I do. It random flickers black and shows the notification light for being in sleep mode and stays stuck sometimes or goes back to normal when I don't touch it. What could be my problem and how can I fix it? (I've used gbatemp for tutorials for years but this is my first post after so long)

2. Byokugen

Byokugen Unit_01

May 16, 2016
    Serbia, Republic of
    Just a bit to the right, or was left...
    I dont think that this is software issue, looks more as a hardware one. I never heard or saw something like that.
    Closing the too doesn't put it to sleep?

3. Noobly300
    OP

Noobly300 Member

Newcomer
    Apr 23, 2017
    United States
    No, it just stays on like as if sleep mode wasn't a thing. It just chooses to go to sleep by itself

4. Byokugen

Byokugen Unit_01

May 16, 2016
    Serbia, Republic of
    Either the new motherboard, or the sleep switch, in the hinge

5. Noobly300
    OP

Noobly300 Member

Newcomer
    Apr 23, 2017
    United States
    I should investigate the sleep switch in the hinge, any details or images as to where it is? I was sort of having to close repeatedly. Should I do a hardmod and back up my nand? I have done 3 successful ones before so this new one isn't anything different.

6. Byokugen

Byokugen Unit_01

May 16, 2016
    Serbia, Republic of
    I dont see the need of the nand backup, but why not, you always need a backup. There is a good video on youtube about 3dsXL disassembly, and there is one on IfixIt. I wish you luck mate

7. Noobly300
    OP

Noobly300 Member

Newcomer
    Apr 23, 2017
    United States
    I couldn't find any videos or such on ifixit as to where the sleep switch is. I always thought it was a magnet. If its not trouble, can you help me? And I'm not tempted to take it apart to find it on my own cause I dont do things without knowing what I'm going into

8. Noobly300
    OP

Noobly300 Member

Newcomer
    Apr 23, 2017
    United States
    OK, after doing more research I found out that the power board didnt have the magnet it needs to read that it is in sleep mode. That black socket looked ripped out, so I desoldered it off of a broken board I had and attached it to the one that was on the xl. I'll update later tomorrow if it was a success or not

Attached Files:

9. Byokugen

Byokugen Unit_01

May 16, 2016
    Serbia, Republic of
    It's more of a "switch".
    Keep me updated,.oh and look fore just "3ds xl disassemble" same as new3ds

Noobly300 likes this.
  10. Noobly300
    OP

Noobly300 Member

Newcomer
    Apr 23, 2017
    United States
    So it was a success, the board booted up and worked flawlessly after I added it in. It was just that tiny module the cause of the sleep mode issue.

11. Byokugen

Byokugen Unit_01

May 16, 2016
    Serbia, Republic of
    So I was helpful? ;-)

Noobly300 likes this.
  12. Noobly300
    OP

Noobly300 Member

Newcomer
    Apr 23, 2017
    United States
    Though it was mostly my mistake, you did help me open my eyes to where to look.

13. Byokugen

Byokugen Unit_01

May 16, 2016
    Serbia, Republic of
    Hey! Cheers!

Noobly300 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice