Hardware new 3DS XL and new 3DS first impressions

aofelix

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey guys, for those with new 3DS XLs, what're your impressions of the system?

I'll detail my first impressions.

Firstly, this is how the 3D should have been done. I understand technology might've not been to where it is now upon first release but wow. I can tell you now that Nintendo's next handheld will most definitely be using 3D and to GREAT effect. For me, this new3DSXL is a demonstration of a very smart investment into portable 3D tech which will pay dividends for nintendo for the next generation or so. It almost feels like the refined 3D is a beta-test for next gen and I like what I'm seeing.

The C-stick is great. I thought it would be weird but its ultra response. The side buttons are placed very nicely.

The OS is now very very quick and slick. So responsive to turning on and turning on, opening and closing applications. However, the old 3DS/3DS XL was't slow. I'd say it was just normal and normal is still fine for me personally.

The speakers are louder and this was pretty much needed. My old console is a bit quiet at times.

The general build quality seems BETTER overall. Theres less clicking when I snap it open, it seems more stable.. everything just feels a little bit more refined although this could be due to the system being new. For the example, the volume + 3DS sliders now have a bit of resistance to them and don't feel cheap.

The Stylus is in an awkward position and I don't feel its natural to take it out and put it back in as seamlessly as it is on my 4.5 silver 3DS XL.

System now uses micro SD which requires unscrewing the backplate. I don't like it at all.

My advice.

Should you upgrade from a 3DS XL? Hmmm... if you have the spare cash and want an excellent 3D experience, go a head. If you want a circle pad pro built within your device, go ahead. If you have a fetish for Xenoblade Chronicles, go ahead. If you are a pro 3DS smash bros player and need the c-stick, upgrade.

Otherwise... hmm... well no because the 3DS XL is a great system. I personally wanted to see and experience this new 3D, I liked the sound of a portable xenoblade chronicles, I like the inclusion of a c-stick and I had trouble with Kid Icarus and always wished I had a circle pad pro to help me out with those tasks. I also had spare cash going and loved the metal black color of the new 3DS XL.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
I'm going from an American 3DS XL to a Japanese New 3DS. Right now? I'm having some doubts. I probably should have gone XL/LL. The New 3DS feels great in my hands. It's nice. However, going back and forth between that and my XL? It feels kind of cheap and frail. I also forgot how much the original 3DS cramped my hands.

Might be something for me to get used to again. I like the size of the New 3DS, so I'm still glad I got it. I haven't had a chance to play with the C-Stick yet, or the extra buttons. However, it's still easy to push all buttons and they're all easily accessible.

Would I recommend it? Yeah. The swappable faceplates look nice. I'm going to order some here after the holidays. Which the XL can't do, unfortunately. However, the XL will get more of the Special Editions (so it seems). Once I get to use the stick and extra buttons? I'll update my impressions. So far, it's nice. I still think I should have gone bigger.

Reecey

Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)
Trophies
XP
Country
I want to wait to see other specials are coming out, I've heard Mario Sunshine is on the horizon for the N3DS, now if that is revealed for it I shall be buying one asap. If Twilight Princess is coming to it i shall get one as well.

whmchrish

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I'm glad to hear the new 3DS seems like a good purchase. I've had a launch-model 3DS for a while, and always looked to the XL as a possible upgrade. Well, untill the New 3DSXL was announced, obviously. I prefer the bigger screen, and from what I've read, the new upgrade to the 3D effect eliminates my one gripe with using 3D on my regular 3DS.

very likely a day-one purchase for me, once it makes its way to scandinavia.

rip-it-up

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The glossy back feels horrible compare to the standard xl,
I Do not like my circle pad at the min, Might changed it to a used one.
I think the 3d screen is a massive step forward, but dont move alot during gaming so it might be a little bit lost of me.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Like for micro