Hardware new 3DS Power Button repair/advice

~Poke~

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I bought a second hand new 3DS just over a month ago. In hindsight it was a dumb decision, since a new (new new?) one would have only been $30 more. The system was basically like new, except the power button was a bit harder to press (mental alarm bells should have been ringing!!)

Under normal circumstances this probably wouldn't have even mattered, but because I've been using homebrew I occasionally get a freeze and have to hold it in to reset. The amount of force this takes has taken it's toll and now the power button is kind of actually broken (it's actually crooked, and still possible to press with LOTS of effort, but who knows how many more times?)
To add to the problems, I decided to open it up and see if something was jammed in there... and I ruined one of the screws... oops. The way I see it I have a few options now, and I'm looking for advice on which I should choose?

1: Drill out the broken screw reeeaaally carefully, and try unjam the power button if possible.
2: Yank the power button out with pliers or something and just use a pin to push the circuit button that's... probably underneath? (I did this with a laptop for 2 years after it's power button fell out, but that's a little different).
3: Send it to Nintendo and hope they'll repair it? Maybe it would have been under warranty at first but I was dumb and ruined a screw so I guess it probably wouldn't be now.
4: Just go buy a new one and system transfer.
5: Leave it on forever and never ever let it crash or go flat.

#4 kinda is a last resort since it'd be nicer to salvage the current one, but the problem is what if I break it? (seems likely with the 2 things I've broken so far ha ha...)

I guess option 6 is: Buy new system, system transfer, try fix old one, if successful transfer back and return new system. I'd have to get one with a forgiving return policy though thanks to the week between transfers rule.

Last edited by ~Poke~,

~Poke~

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Ok, I was a bit scared but after I got through the bad screw the power button itself was embarrassingly easy to fix. I just kinda poked it from the side and it clicked into place.

I wish I tried to fix it when I first got it, bc then it would actually be like new. Now I've probably slightly damaged something in there with too much force... but hey, for the first time i can actually press it with my finger.

So yeah if you ever get a n3ds with a dodgy power button just click it into place, enjoy your discount!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Nope.