Hardware New 3DS or New 3DS XL?

LieutenantPie

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm trying to figure out whether I should buy a US New 3DS XL or a JPN New 3DS (the small one). Assuming region locking isn't an issue and they're the same price, which one do you think I should go for?

XL
  • is more comfortable to hold
  • I'd be able to look at the serial on the box before I buy it to make sure the firmware is old enough for flashcards to work
  • does not fit in my pockets
  • bigger screens make things look just a bit more pixellated
normal one
  • has interchangeable faceplates
  • actually will fit in my pocket
  • will eventually cramp my hands
  • there's only one version of it that shipped with a high enough firmware for it to not work with flashcards so even though I can't see the serial it's a low enough risk I'm not terribly worried, also because if it's imported it's probably just been sitting around for a little while

PrismeCube

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
XL hands down. Also depends if you will go out with it (and unless you have a bag) but I think the XL is a better buy

polarurs

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't forget that the pixel density is higher on the regular sized N3DS making things look crisper. If you plan on playing any old school DS games, the larger screen stretches out the images so much that I personally find a lot of older games unplayable.

Koldur

Virtual Boy Ambassador
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Don't forget that the pixel density is higher on the regular sized N3DS making things look crisper. If you plan on playing any old school DS games, the larger screen stretches out the images so much that I personally find a lot of older games unplayable.

I think it is funny that you say the normal 3DS is better for old DS games than the XL, while I would say it is the other way around. Playing DS games on a 3DS without using the start/select button method upscales the image which makes it somewhat unplayable to me. If you use the start/select button method to start a DS game, it will run in its native mode, but the game will be way too small on a normal 3DS, but perfectly sized on an XL.

I have had both the normal new 3DS and the XL, sold the normal one since it just couldn't get me into the games like the XL does with the more open world style games. Yes, games look crisper on the non XL, but they also don't really suck you in on the non XL 3DS.

D

Deleted-355425

The difference in image quality between the two isn't far apart, I prefer the big screen and layout of the XL and I wouldn't drop down a smaller screen for anything.

Here is a gba version of Mario, on my xl screen.. Perfect :P

Attachments

• IMG_20150613_191440.jpg
    IMG_20150613_191440.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 318

pivix

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I have bought 2 days ago n3ds and for this moment I can say that it was worth of upgrading. ATM I still have 3ds xl, and I am still playing on it, but new 3ds brings me nostalgia feeling of my first owned 3DS aqua blue which was later damaged. Also density of pixels and much sharper view on the screen looks much better.

hashcheck1

Trophies
XP
Country
I have had all units about 6 all up and just got new 3ds xl as a adult user I prefer the size due to hand getting cramped on smaller units. That said I still have a 4.5 old 3ds and the screen is so crisp

qwerblim

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
XL for me. The extra screen estate always helps, and if in the rare chance I sell it on, It usually has a higher resale value.

kitney

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I got sky3ds and considering buy New XL or New LL. New LL is cheaper but I have US games...Should I buy New LL ?

qwerblim

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I got sky3ds and considering buy New XL or New LL. New LL is cheaper but I have US games...Should I buy New LL ?

A lot of users go for the LL and use RegionFOUR, I'm not sure why though. Probably they play many JP region games? I went for the XL, so that would be my recommendation, but again, it would be nice to see why the LL is better.

LieutenantPie

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I don't really plan on playing any older games or DS games, and I've been pretty satisfied with the screen on the original 3DS so far. If I do get the XL, does anyone know where/how I can make sure I get one that ships with a firmware below 9.2? It looks like most of the imported small New 3DSs I've seen have 8.1, but a vast majority of US New 3DS XLs have 9.4 or 9.5, I've even checked all the ones they had in stock at a couple of retail stores in my area and all of them were brand new and confirmed to have 9.5. If there's no way to get an XL that would actually work with a gateway card then I'd probably just take my chances with the smaller one.

kitney

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
A lot of users go for the LL and use RegionFOUR, I'm not sure why though. Probably they play many JP region games? I went for the XL, so that would be my recommendation, but again, it would be nice to see why the LL is better.
I think users choose LL because exclusive games, cheaper than the others.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: 24,000 hmmmm lol