Hacking New 3DS: JPN 8.1.0-OJ FW or US 9.9???

alepman90

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hello guys,
So i'm looking for New 3DS system and my friend offered me his Japanese N3DS that kept on its original FWfor ($130),but at the same time I prefer US version and was looking to get the AC bundle ($220) which comes with 9.9 fw -I guess-
which should I get??

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Hello guys,
So i'm looking for New 3DS system and my friend offered me his Japanese N3DS that kept on its original FWfor ($130),but at the same time I prefer US version and was looking to get the AC bundle ($220) which comes with 9.9 fw -I guess-
which should I get??
Both will be tricky to get CFW running. On the JPN one you'll have to update it to 9.0 (possible, I think, but difficult). On the AC one you'll have to downgrade, which has the risk of a softbrick. If this happens you'll be forced to update to 10.5 and be locked out of CFW completely.

alepman90

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Both will be tricky to get CFW running. On the JPN one you'll have to update it to 9.0 (possible, I think, but difficult). On the AC one you'll have to downgrade, which has the risk of a softbrick. If this happens you'll be forced to update to 10.5 and be locked out of CFW completely.
to use GW i should update to 9.0-9.2?

mooglazer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello guys,
which should I get??

It really depends. If you're technically savvy, the JP system is much more straightforward to mod. But if you're a US user, there are some hurdles that you'll have to go through to get everything going properly and keeping it updated.

The US system risks a brick during modification but will hold it's value better in the US since it's a native system. It can always go back to being 100% legit.

I have both.

Reactions: alepman90

reiyu

Canadian, eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
if you don't have JP cubic ninja or gateway, you can forget about using the 8.1.0-0J n3DS. if you do, you can opt for it.

alepman90

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
if you don't have JP cubic ninja or gateway, you can forget about using the 8.1.0-0J n3DS. if you do, you can opt for it.
I have GW and used it on New 3DS xl(+emunand) last year before
i left the scene,and i'm still waiting for their official downgrade but knowing them since 2013 they took lot of time

reiyu

Canadian, eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have GW and used it on New 3DS xl(+emunand) last year before
i left the scene,and i'm still waiting for their official downgrade but knowing them since 2013 they took lot of time
You can use GW on the 8.1.0-0J but you can only use it if you have JP OoT or Cubic to boot to GW at least once, then you can use MSET to boot after that. If you have Cubic, you can update it using the SOAP method to 9.1.0-20J and you'll be able to use reinand or GW freely.

If you don't have the above, best if you get the 9.9U n3DS and use the downgrade method back to 9.2.

alepman90

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
You can use GW on the 8.1.0-0J but you can only use it if you have JP OoT or Cubic to boot to GW at least once, then you can use MSET to boot after that. If you have Cubic, you can update it using the SOAP method to 9.1.0-20J and you'll be able to use reinand or GW freely.

If you don't have the above, best if you get the 9.9U n3DS and use the downgrade method back to 9.2.
oh snap I sold both games back in Sept,can I use the Browser hack?or it'll ask me to update?
FE:fates and DQ7-8 are the reasons to get back to 3DS also emulators.
*even if i didn't sell them different region

JawhnL5

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have the AC new 3DS myself. It came with 9.8. To be honest, I went into it exactly how you shouldn't; 10.4 was out at the time, and I was risking a lot, but I went right into downgrading. First attempt downgrading, it failed halfway through, but luckily I was still able to get into HBL and everything, so I downgraded again and successfully got on 9.2 and set everything up from there, but you really should have a backup plan if you plan on downgrading.

The issue I think is that on 9.9, you have to update to use the browser. I was lucky mine was on 9.8.

alepman90

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I have the AC new 3DS myself. It came with 9.8. To be honest, I went into it exactly how you shouldn't; 10.4 was out at the time, and I was risking a lot, but I went right into downgrading. First attempt downgrading, it failed halfway through, but luckily I was still able to get into HBL and everything, so I downgraded again and successfully got on 9.2 and set everything up from there, but you really should have a backup plan if you plan on downgrading.

The issue I think is that on 9.9, you have to update to use the browser. I was lucky mine was on 9.8.
I wanted to Downgrade my friend's 3ds earlier this month using the Browserhax,and i always stuck at step 3 or 7 and after 15 times i get tired of it
that's why i'm considering older firmware but being JPN it's a hassle.
hopefully GW release their method soon,the OG3DS downgrade to 4.5
was a breeze as i remember and succeeded from the first try

ootnes2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you are ok with white n3ds definitely get the US one. Dealing with the japanese language is a pain and downgrading is really not that hard.

reiyu

Canadian, eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
oh snap I sold both games back in Sept,can I use the Browser hack?or it'll ask me to update?
FE:fates and DQ7-8 are the reasons to get back to 3DS also emulators.
*even if i didn't sell them different region

you can't use the browser on 8.1.0-0J as it does not come with a browser. also you can't play the DLC of FE:Fates on Gateway if you want to play the patched version. since that game is your target, you should get the 9.9 n3DS and do the downgrade method and use reinand.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: :lol: