w0dash

noob
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Hello,

I just tested the front cam on my japanese new 3ds and I realised that the colors are pretty dull, almost monochrome. Is this normal?

Koldur

Virtual Boy Ambassador
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
They removed the IR filter, otherwise it would be impossible to do the eyetracking in the dark ;)
That probably is the reason why it does that.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
They removed the IR filter, otherwise it would be impossible to do the eyetracking in the dark ;)
That probably is the reason why it does that.
I had heard they put in a new camera that works better in low light, but I hadn't heard about this.
Does it actually work in complete darkness?

shinyquagsire23

SALT/Sm4sh Leak Guy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
has to keep track of you to stabilise 3D when you play in the dark :)

Ah, smart thinking on Nintendo's part. Seems they probably snuck in some IR LEDs (or just a really, really good camera somehow) so it can see your face. Probably would explain why it would look washed out and more black/white during normal hours.

w0dash

noob
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
So here are two test shots, I think you should be able to guess which is taken with which camera :).

2akZJFz.jpg

g3zfyNP.jpg

I know that I could copy teh images to my PC but, I am too lazy to unscrew my case.

(In reality the colors are as vivid as in the first picture)

Reactions: console

w0dash

noob
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I don't connect to wifi because I fear the ninja downloads.

check your camera settings, shows up fine on mine.
F5g5LLZm.jpg

woHc7lqm.jpg

pro tip: you can transfer files over wi-fi on the new 3ds.

That looks as if you used your main camera, not the face cam.

Koldur

Virtual Boy Ambassador
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
So here are two test shots, I think you should be able to guess which is taken with which camera :).

2akZJFz.jpg

g3zfyNP.jpg

I know that I could copy teh images to my PC but, I am too lazy to unscrew my case.

(In reality the colors are as vivid as in the first picture)

Yeah, this is because of the removal of the IR filter.

Shiny: Next to the front camera there is indeed (pretty common knowledge by the way) an IR blaster. Otherwise it could of course never "see" you in the dark.

Zaide

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm pretty sure it's the IR light. I used to have a camera with nightvision (basically just some really bright IR LEDs) and it's images looked a lot like this.

T3GZdev

head of T3GZdev
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm pretty sure it's the IR light. I used to have a camera with nightvision (basically just some really bright IR LEDs) and it's images looked a lot like this.

but there are people who aren't experiencing this problem. i have confirmed this with a few people.
i just set up a repair.

I'm worried about this as well... Could anyone confirm if this is happening in 9.2? Could be a firmware issue?

lol that would be random, wouldn't be surprised if it was something like that tho, hmm maybe i should wait until the next fw update before i send it in.

tbb043

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The cameras on these systems are pretty bad to begin with. And don't you young people all have cameras out the wazoo on all your phones and other devices anyway? What are you using the inner camera on the 3DS line so much for that this is something to really be a worry? (I sound snarky, but I really just don't see what the worry over the inner camera is, if you do, I don't mean to shit on your concerns).

T3GZdev

head of T3GZdev
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
The cameras on these systems are pretty bad to begin with. And don't you young people all have cameras out the wazoo on all your phones and other devices anyway? What are you using the inner camera on the 3DS line so much for that this is something to really be a worry? (I sound snarky, but I really just don't see what the worry over the inner camera is, if you do, I don't mean to shit on your concerns).

still cameras should work 100% if you spend your cash to get somethign new.
also my main problem isn't because i want to replace my phones camera, but as i explained in my other post. some games use the camera, dsiware uses it for profile pics & some AR stuff. 3DS uses it for face raiders, starfox 3ds used as a webcam in multiplayer, then theres other AR stuff with 3DS. also what if this is also is effecting the super stable 3D? seeing that that is the camera used for it. also to would be nice to have the option to use that camera without it being defective. and looking like a smurf.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    maaaaan that's so awesome but I also don't want to fork over a hundo for it
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Leo could not withstand communism.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its OUR products to begin with lol.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Its OUR products to begin with lol.