New 3DS design. Good/Bad?

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by D34DL1N3R, Nov 22, 2014.

1. D34DL1N3R
    OP

D34DL1N3R Nephilim

Dec 6, 2008
    United States
    So I was just really looking at the "New" 3DS for the first time a bit ago & was thinking what a terrible design choice they made. At least imo. Why didn't the just keep the Start/Select buttons where they were (below the screen), move the ABXY buttons down, and add a second full circle stick above them? Oh, I get it now. That will be reserved for the model following the "New" 2DS. Possibly the "New" 3DS LLL/XXL. :P

2. Hanafuda

Hanafuda GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Nov 21, 2005
    United States
    I don't think I'd like the right-side action buttons moved down. I'm ok with what they did since I don't really expect many games to fully exploit "dual-analog" anyway. In fact I don't expect very many games to offer more than just enhanced features for N3DS ... gotta keep that compatibility with the original model. There will be some N3Ds exclusive games, but not many "A" titles will be. The right-side 'nub' will probably end up functioning like the Gamecube "C-stick" did, i.e. camera position mostly or only occasional actions. So altering the position of the action buttons for the sake of a full-sized slidepad would've been a waste and would've just made the thing more awkward to play on.

They should've just gone full blown with a new system - it's been long enough. But I'm definitely going to buy a N3DS XL. I'm still playing on a launch model 3DS and I've waited long enough to upgrade.

3. Acidflare

Acidflare HomeBrew Beta Tester

Aug 16, 2013
    Canada
    Nether World
    take the DSi for example DSi games like Assassins creed are playable on a NDS or NDSL without the DSi's added features, they will probably do the same thing. pokemon black and white are DSi games too

4. ieatpixels

ieatpixels GBAtemp Fan

Nov 1, 2008
    what's better about having the start and select buttons down near the home button? they're not as far away from the ABXY buttons now.
    A full sized circle pad would be a bit useless since almost no games support it.
    the little nub thing isn't that bad, it's quite responsive.

I think it's a great design overall, it feels and looks very nice.
    a replacement for the original 3DS was long overdue and the system fixes alot of the flaws it had while keeping the form factor that the 2DS and XL didn't have.

5. ScarletCrystals

ScarletCrystals Useless Bunny of Paradise

Apr 9, 2010
    Canada
    Bamboo Forest, Gensokyo
    They should have named it Super 3DS

6. D34DL1N3R
    OP

D34DL1N3R Nephilim

Dec 6, 2008
    United States
    Oh, I'll be getting one. I just think the little nub looks ugly.