Gaming New 3.56 firmware has secret security feature...

DarkMario616

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For those who are curious about the new PS3 security, it seems Sony has implemented something in 3.56 I mentioned here a few weeks ago that is the same as Microsoft uses to detect and ban 360's.

Mathieulh just posted about it on IRC.

Essentially Sony can now remotely execute code on the PS3 as soon as you connect. This can do whatever Sony wants it to do such as verifying system files or searching for homebrew. Sony can change the code and add new detection methods without any firmware updates and as the code executes remotely there is no reliable way to forge the replies.

Whilst it is possible to patch or remove this code from the firmware this will likely mean the end of playing CFW online (as PSN can just check before login that this is active) or at the very least mean it will be even easier for Sony to detect and ban users.

Judging from the fact that people can still connect using the proxy method it seems Sony hasn't activated any of this yet but the functions are there in the new firmware.

Just reposting this here.

This is great lol, just installed CFW and find out about this...

xDarkAngelx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
holy sh-
My sister updated two days ago while I was asleep. I got pissed as I just found out this morning, and now...
DAMMIT

ViRGE

Trophies
XP
Country
I really don't think anyone expected PSN access to work indefinitely. They're going to block it at some point - not that it will hinder single-player gaming.

Magsor

I am watching you
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Youll always have to choose between PSN and CFW. Thats the only end sony can do something to really punish CFW users.
If you are/get on 3.56 do not worry the CFW is already made. It just takes time to test it/make it better we do not want to repeat history.

Pado

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
DarkMario616 said:
So how do we go back to OFW?

I want to go back to 3.55 OFW for now. NOT 3.56.

Simply put OFW3.55 in a /PS3/UPDATE folder on an USB drive, plug it in your PS3, enter recovery mode and install it.

DarkMario616

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's it? Easy lol.

Do we have to format to rid of CFW-traceness or what
ohnoes.png
?

Before reverting back to OFW I want to try Demon's Souls lol.

Fireballo

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm sticking with CFW from here on. I really like cfw and homebrew so I'll sacrifice PSN. Maybe I'll get a second PSP used if I find one cheap and use that just for psn. Think about it, with all the money you can save with cfw you can easily afford a second psp.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So this is the kind of cheap-shot BS Sony wants to pull now?

F*ck those (racially charged expletive)s.

Sony has only itself to blame for why I will never buy their products again.

Now if I could just get some CFW that would allow me to play my backup PS1 and PS2 games on my 60gigger, I could finally retire my aged, chipped PS2.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
codezer0 said:
So this is the kind of cheap-shot BS Sony wants to pull now?

F*ck those (racially charged expletive)s.

Sony has only itself to blame for why I will never buy their products again.

Now if I could just get some CFW that would allow me to play my backup PS1 and PS2 games on my 60gigger, I could finally retire my aged, chipped PS2.
I'm sure Sony won't miss you in any way, shape or form.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: and normal grapes