Hardware New 2ds xl pokeball edition. Right bumper broken off the board taking solder pads with it.

gazza1988

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hello, I have a new 2ds xl pokeball edition.

My kids are heavy handed and managed to bust the right shoulder button. I've successfully took it apart to find the button that is supposed to be soldered to the board is no longer there.

Is there any trick to get it back to functionality or would a main board replacement be best?

I managed to find the post below. The picture is exactly what my board looks like (I can't get as good quality shot) the reply to it says to solder the traces, is that viable considering it appears to be mounted to the board using the solder points?

https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/617670/2DS+XL+has+missing+solder+pads+on+right+shoulder+button

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's technically possible to fix a ripped out shoulder button if the break was clean enough. That type of repair requires retrofitting a new way to mount the replacement button if the sides no longer have landing or copper contacts to solder to. Think super glue and maybe a piece of trimmed LEGO piece for extension, bulking, or stiffening.

Because of those ripped out pads at the bottom, the only way to get continuity to the button's pins would be to scratch away the motherboard with a needle, expose whatever copper traces are left, and then solder tiny gage wires between the pins and traces. Performing this is kinda like the electronic's equivalent of spider vein removal medical procedure: requires time, patience, steady hands.

Typical 3DS users will not have the ability and tools to do the above. If this was one of the other 3DS systems like the n3DSXL, this would have been a different story where the shoulder button has a modular design with an easy(ier) to replace flex cable part.

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,

gazza1988

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
It's technically possible to fix a ripped out shoulder button if the break was clean enough. That type of repair requires retrofitting a new way to mount the replacement button if the sides no longer have landing or copper contacts to solder to. Think super glue and maybe a piece of trimmed LEGO piece for extension, bulking, or stiffening.

Because of those ripped out pads at the bottom, the only way to get continuity to the button's pins would be to scratch away the motherboard with a needle, expose whatever copper traces are left, and then solder tiny gage wires between the pins and traces. Performing this is kinda like the electronic's equivalent of spider vein removal medical procedure: requires time, patience, steady hands.

Typical 3DS users will not have the ability and tools to do the above. If this was one of the other 3DS systems like the n3DSXL, this would have been a different story where the shoulder button has a modular design with an easy(ier) to replace flex cable part.

I assumed as much, While I can solder I'm not "that" good at it.

However a work collegue can do this kind of thing and does it fairly often but I'm not in work due to coronavirus so it will have to wait.

Thank you for your quick reply.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Skelletonike @ Skelletonike: Still a few hours left until I can go home and play some more Stellar Blade :'( +1