PogoShell it to me ™
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Australia
It seems okay but i can't figure out all the controls.
frown.gif
It's very frustrating. Could someone tell me what does what? I figured out that A throws the ball but that's about it. How do i get the ball from other players for example?

Myke

so tasty!
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
It seems okay but i can't figure out all the controls.
frown.gif
It's very frustrating. Could someone tell me what does what? I figured out that A throws the ball but that's about it. How do i get the ball from other players for example?
A does the jump guard thing as well as throw the ball, B is steal as well as pass, L is speed up (green meter) and R is special shot when your red meter is full.

DjFIL

Trophies
Website
homepage.mac.com
XP
Country
Canada
Now after finaly geting around to flasing and playing this game and understanding the controls, some what... it's not bad at all... certinaly the best basketball game on GBA. Graphics are nice (notice the shadows on dry courts and reflections on wet courts, very nice. and the sway of the basket when you take it to the rim hard). My bigest complaint about this game... defence controls. they suck. best defencive stratagy in this game... goaltend, stand under the hoop and jump block when the guy shoots. stealing is very difficult to do... rejections and blocks not as tough... but goaltending certinaly the most effective way... espicaly since i can't find a way to choose which defender to control (like a switch player button... let alone the player in control isn't very well indicated).

Controls as i understand them (for others)...
L - turbo (indicated by green bar)
R - special shot (when yellow bar is full and flashing... i suggest use it for the easy 3-pointer)
B - pass (steal/elbow/bodycheck on defence)
A - shoot/dunk when close to hoop (jump block on defence)

Anyway... this will probably stay on my cart for a lil while as i'm not playing much other then max payne and all star baseball 2004 right now.

transce080

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I hope it's better than NBA Jam for GBA. How in the world did they take such a great game and make it so crappy?!? I mean the graphics look just terrible! The gamegear port was better than the gba port and it's only 512k!

DjFIL

Trophies
Website
homepage.mac.com
XP
Country
Canada
no fade away... just jump shot, dunk (when close to and driving towards basket) and special shot (when special meter full and you arn't being contested by defence).

i don't believe there is a watch mode... maybe if you don't press any buttons it'll do a demo mode... but i don't believe so.

shadow xp... i posted it a few posts above yours. and myke even posted it (less detailed) above me.

defence is kinda frustrating to do... espicaly since you don't choose which player to control and it switches players automaticly based on which zone of the court the offencive player with the ball is in. But still overall, best basketball game on GBA... kicks NBA Jam's ass all over the court.

DjFIL

Trophies
Website
homepage.mac.com
XP
Country
Canada
After almost 10 games I have finaly beaten the AI 3 games in a row (with up to a 21 point lead in a 1 minute per half game) then got beaten again. So here it is... the offical DjFIL basic stratagy guide for Street Jam Basketball.

Controls
----------
[Offence]
L - Turbo (green bar)
R - Special Shot (yellow bar must be flashing... this is a 100% sure shot)
A - Shoot (dunk when driving towards the hoop)
B - Pass

[Defence]
L - Turbo (green bar)
R - Nothing (not that I can find atleast)
A - Jump/Block
B - Steal/Body Check

Stratagy
-----------
[Offence]
1) go the right direction (first half from left to right, second half from right to left)
2) best chance to score is on a dunk... near 100% success rate. there is almost always a cherry picker on your team... when you get the ball pass it down court to him and have him dunk it right away.
3) when special shot meter is full, always use that special shot for the 3 pointer as it's a 100% sure shot.

[Defence]
1) when first learning the game, when on defence always focus on your defender under the hoop... once in control of him line up under the rim and time a jump/block to steal the ball out of the air. Normaly this would be called goaltending... but this ain't the NBA, so take advantage of it as it's the easiest way to get a turnover.
2) when you get good at stratagy part 1... then start using the steal/check button with your other 2 defenders when they are close to the ball carrier. it's tough to steal in this game... but it can work some times.

That's it. Good luck at conquring the courts. This game is pretty fun when you get a hang of it... and even though I now know a reliable stratagy on how to beat the AI, it still can be challanging to execute this stratagy every time.

DjFIL the reviewer gives this game 4/5. Wouldn't give it 5 because of defence issues (can't choose which player to control) and small game play/menu glitches (ever notice on the stats screen that you were shooting 200%... sorry to say that isn't mathmaticly possiable). If our head editor at EAGB Advance catches up on his work and has more time again, or we alocate a new head editor, I will be doing a full review of this game after I complete a few other reviews I have lined up.

Have fun.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: guys i just checked to see what's in the fortnite item shop today and saw that metallica skins...