New: 1338 - Need for Speed: Underground (U)

TheRocK

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Unless like every second poster i overlooked the graphics and played it myself and well i got really hyped and could'nt stop for a while... cause the gameplay is just like the pc or xbox version very addictive.
And if you liked one of those versions you should really give it a try... turn the music up a lil and feel the beat in the palm of your hands while riding with your custom ride, through a pixelated city, of course with high speed. (sometimes without even knowing where to go)
Ok the graphics are really a let down, but the gameplay makes up for it, and it is a cool racing game, if not one of the best there is for the gba (no i'm not kidding!)

KotaInka2

Fanboy Educator
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I guess I owe Opium an "I told you so" in relation to that little demo and the actual in-game graphics.
tongue.gif

Legend

.missing
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well, after my first race, I was sort of impressed by the game...however, seeing how my machine is only a pentium 2, it's fucking slow...
Regardless, I won the race by 1 millisecond. I have the screenshot, lol.

Out.

BlazeHedgehog

Trophies
Website
www.blazefire.tk
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
I hate it when people judge a game by it's graphics... I think it looks pretty good for a gba game, instead of being on a next-gen platform or computer.

That's what I say! Everyone is like "Boo hoo the graphics suck". How many times do I have to repeat it? This is the Gameboy advance. This is not a 733mhz Xbox running a custom Geforce 3. This is a GAMEBOY ADVANCE. A HANDHELD CONSOLE. We're talking 15mhz MAXIMUM. MAYBE 2MB OF VIDEO RAM. If you're going to be surprised by the way this game looks, BE SURPRISED IT LOOKS AS GOOD AS IT DOES. Making a game look this good considering the hardware limitations probably requires more work than most of us will ever do in our entire lives!

Cripes!

GouK

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
From screenshots from gamespot/IGN and NFSU official page I already knew the graphics were gonna suck ass. When everyone was so hyped up about this game I seriously thought that those people were gonna look past the graphics and just enjoy it for gameplay itself. Now that its out no one cares for it as much it seems.

BlazeHedgehog

Trophies
Website
www.blazefire.tk
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
I think it would be twice as good a game if it had the same gameplay but with 2d graphics

Some games just do not work as well in 2D. The Racing genre is one of those things that simply works it's best in 3D. Can you blame them for pushing the limits? If we, as humans, did not push the limits for what we can do with what we are given, we'd never have flown. We'd never have put a man on the moon. We'd never have had automobiles.

Racing games work best in this environment, I think. SSX3 didn't work in 3D because it didn't have the flexebility required for the trick system; animations were stiff and controls lagged, simply because the game was trying to keep track of way too much at once. And unfortunately, the trick system and the outrageous course design was the main selling point of the game. A racing game, on the other hand, doesn't have any kind of trick system and doesn't need death-defying track design. Look at games like Top Gear Rally - it was a great game.

Brekelefuw

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
this game seemed ok. i raced one race. but the only qualm (yes qualm) i have with this game is its a bit hard to tell where to go. im sure ill get used to it tho. drives pretty nicely.

you graphics lovers need to be put in a room with a NES for a week. those games beat most games otu now by far.

Jadoku

Trophies
Website
www.goldensun-syndicate.net
XP
Country
Canada
Dude, you can say all you want about graphics aren't important and stuff, but IN A RACING GAME GRAPHICS ARE CRUSIAL! I mean come on, I can't even see where I'm godamn going. This totally screws the game over. The gameplay cannot be good if you cannot see what is happening. Graphics are crucial to a game, and peoples who say "graphics don't make a good game" make me want to puke. Graphics are essential to a good game, almost as much as gameplay. Sure, the NES had good games, but that's because those games had nice clean and clear graphics. In my book, that's good graphics. The point of graphics is to make the game clear and organized. NFSU totally misses the point by putting clunky crap with low frame-rates. What a messed up game.

Inu268

woof
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
legen i whon by one milesecond to =D
and jadoku....the frame rate isnt low,your computer is,try playing it in the real hardware...and the graphics are so damn good(at least the cars) how can you tell its bad?i can see cleary eveything....and i cant stop playing to.....hummmmm maybe they put some drug in the game cart?

ripkord

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Yeah I know the devs have every right to 'push back the frontiers' But other racing games, like v-rally were done sooooooo much better than this - having great graphics. I'm not really surprised its EA we are talking about here....
wink.gif

BlazeHedgehog

Trophies
Website
www.blazefire.tk
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
Dude, you can say all you want about graphics aren't important and stuff, but IN A RACING GAME GRAPHICS ARE CRUSIAL! I mean come on, I can't even see where I'm godamn going. This totally screws the game over. The gameplay cannot be good if you cannot see what is happening.

Try turning off the 3x zoom feature, moron. Go back to 1x. Looks perfectly fine to me! Do note, you're playing this game on a 15 inch computer monitor. The GBA's screen... is what? 3 inches? 5 inches? Jeeze, man.

GouK

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Some games just do not work as well in 2D. The Racing genre is one of those things that simply works it's best in 3D.
3D illusions probably but the environment definetly does not have to be 3d.

Look at old arcade games like outrun and crazy chase

or snes games like mario kart or even the GBA one

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Not really just funny. I'm definitely a nerd!