Networking help

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by Talaria, Dec 15, 2007.

1. Talaria
    OP

Talaria ...

Jan 31, 2007
    New Zealand
    I thought it would be wise to network our two computers of our house so both could use the same printer and Counter Strike and AOE over lan etc using a crossover cable rather than getting a hub. I know the basics of networking for two computers with crossover cable but i saw the prices for a 10m and 15m cable and was um-ing and ah-ing but then i got briefly talking to a my brothers flatmate about it and he said something about just buy a short crossover cable and connecting the female end to a normal networking cable. But unfortunately he has gone home as it is summer holidays over here. So i was wondering whether this was possible? and what would i need to do this? Sorry if this is a noob question.

2. rhyguy

rhyguy GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 21, 2007
    Melbourne
  3. Talaria
    OP

Talaria ...

Jan 31, 2007
    New Zealand
  4. Fragout

Fragout Member

Newcomer
    Jul 19, 2007
    United States
    A cross-over network cable is just a normal network cable with crossed with the orange and green pair.
    So, according to what you're saying, you intend to do this.
    NIC A(cross-over cable)(normal cable)NIC B
    ^
    but you need a coupling to connect both jack of the cross-over and normal cables at the ^.

5. Talaria
    OP

Talaria ...

Jan 31, 2007
    New Zealand
    Cheers thats exactly what i want to do [​IMG]. Btw what would a coupling be called if i was looking for it in a electronics store.

6. Fragout

Fragout Member

Newcomer
    Jul 19, 2007
    United States
    RJ45 network coupling, I guess?
    Not really sure myself, but you could explain that you're trying to connect 2 RJ45 plugs/connectors together.

7. Talaria
    OP

Talaria ...

Jan 31, 2007
    New Zealand
    Cheers thanks for the help. [​IMG] Grog for everyone [​IMG]

8. Jiggah

Jiggah GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 9, 2002
    United States
    If it's two recent computers, you don't even need a crossover cable anymore, just use a regular networking cable (CAT5e or CAT6). Most modern NICs have the ability to detect what you want and auto set.

9. XT Mercenary

XT Mercenary Newbie

Newcomer
    May 20, 2006
    You can get a 20m crossover cable for like £5 online, this can't possible be to expensive !!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice