Talaria

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
New Zealand
I thought it would be wise to network our two computers of our house so both could use the same printer and Counter Strike and AOE over lan etc using a crossover cable rather than getting a hub. I know the basics of networking for two computers with crossover cable but i saw the prices for a 10m and 15m cable and was um-ing and ah-ing but then i got briefly talking to a my brothers flatmate about it and he said something about just buy a short crossover cable and connecting the female end to a normal networking cable. But unfortunately he has gone home as it is summer holidays over here. So i was wondering whether this was possible? and what would i need to do this? Sorry if this is a noob question.

Fragout

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A cross-over network cable is just a normal network cable with crossed with the orange and green pair.
So, according to what you're saying, you intend to do this.
NIC A(cross-over cable)(normal cable)NIC B
^
but you need a coupling to connect both jack of the cross-over and normal cables at the ^.

Talaria

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
New Zealand
A cross-over network cable is just a normal network cable with crossed with the orange and green pair.
So, according to what you're saying, you intend to do this.
NIC A(cross-over cable)(normal cable)NIC B
                       ^
but you need a coupling to connect both jack of the cross-over and normal cables at the ^.

Cheers thats exactly what i want to do
bow.gif
. Btw what would a coupling be called if i was looking for it in a electronics store.

Fragout

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
RJ45 network coupling, I guess?
Not really sure myself, but you could explain that you're trying to connect 2 RJ45 plugs/connectors together.

Jiggah

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If it's two recent computers, you don't even need a crossover cable anymore, just use a regular networking cable (CAT5e or CAT6). Most modern NICs have the ability to detect what you want and auto set.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Tattle-tale :creep: +1