Tdon

OP
Trophies
Website
hencegames.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Well, this topic is going to be a place where you can vent your nethack ds related stories, so:

Anyone else insanely hooked on nethack ds?
Why do(n't) you play it? Is there something in perticular that you don't like about the ds version?
How did you bind your keys?
Got killed by trying to mount your horse and slipped?

Tell us!
yaynds.gif

krazykirk

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Well I downloaded it and got sorta confused by how it works and gave up.. oh and I died reasonably quickly when i was trying to run over a monster or something? Oh and the graphics were a bit :/

Chrono_Tata

Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
I've played the PC version a lot, but I can't really get into the DS version. The fact that you have to choose from a list of commands really turn me off. An on-screen keyboard as a command input method would be very welcoming (like the Pocket PC version). Plus, I have Shiren the Wanderer on the DS to fulfill my dungeon-crawling needs.
tongue.gif

Narin

The Cheat Master, kupo!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
cheats.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I perfer POWDER over Nethack DS, also as Chrono_Tata said, I was a little put off by having to select all the commands from a list like that

Tdon

OP
Trophies
Website
hencegames.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Well, because the input method is totally customizable, I mapped a lot off button combos to various important commands.
It's a bit awkward at first, but works really well now.

I use a,b,x,y,select and r alone or in combination with one of the d-pad directions. wich makes for: 6x5 + 2 (start and l) = 32 commands.
I only have to visit the menu once in a while for specialized actions like dipping.

I also requested a customizable menu, so that the menu-command that have been mapped are removed.

I didn't get into POWDER all that much, probally because I tried nethack first. They are too different to be simular and too simular to be different.
Also I dislike using the touchscreen, so nethack is the better option for me.

D

Deleted User

I can't use it =\
It starts up and then a multicoloured flash appears across the screen and goes white, then there's nothing
frown.gif

Could someone help?

Chrono_Tata

Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
Tdon said:
Well, because the input method is totally customizable, I mapped a lot off button combos to various important commands.
It's a bit awkward at first, but works really well now.

I use a,b,x,y,select and r alone or in combination with one of the d-pad directions. wich makes for: 6x5 + 2 (start and l) = 32 commands.
I only have to visit the menu once in a while for specialized actions like dipping.

I also requested a customizable menu, so that the menu-command that have been mapped are removed.

I didn't get into POWDER all that much, probally because I tried nethack first. They are too different to be simular and too simular to be different.
Also I dislike using the touchscreen, so nethack is the better option for me.

I'm terrible at remembering which command does what though. I even struggle with the four default hotkeys.
tongue.gif
Remembering which letters to press is much easier (q for quaff, k for kick, etc.) Including a touchscreen keyboard as an option would be good.

QUOTE(warmijwilfaain @ May 11 2008, 08:49 PM) I can't use it =\
It starts up and then a multicoloured flash appears across the screen and goes white, then there's nothing
frown.gif

Could someone help?

Which version are you using? I use 1.17 and it works perfectly on my M3Real.

Also, do you have the file structure right? The NetHack folder (with all the data files like defaults.nh and stuff) should be in the root of your card. NetHackDS.nds can be anywhere.

Tdon

OP
Trophies
Website
hencegames.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Chrono_Tata said:
I'm terrible at remembering which command does what though. I even struggle with the four default hotkeys.
tongue.gif
Remembering which letters to press is much easier (q for quaff, k for kick, etc.) Including a touchscreen keyboard as an option would be good.

Actually, IIRC, there is an option to do everything with a onscreen keyboard. Check the defaults.nh, I'm sure it's there.
I never played nethack using a keyboard, so I can imagine if you got used to playing with one, you'l be wanting to use that.
Check it out!

Chrono_Tata

Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
Tdon said:
Chrono_Tata said:
tongue.gif

Actually, IIRC, there is an option to do everything with a onscreen keyboard. Check the defaults.nh, I'm sure it's there.
I never played nethack using a keyboard, so I can imagine if you got used to playing with one, you'l be wanting to use that.
Check it out!

Really? Then I shall.

EDIT: You're right. I feel like an idiot now. XP

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/3eGAHfC5P-Y?si=Fo3iEl1pZ4D_O6dp +1