Netflix Developing a Live-Action Zelda Series

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Ryukouki, Feb 6, 2015.

1. Ryukouki
    OP

Ryukouki See you later, guys.

Jan 31, 2008
    United States
    BN-GV709_zelda_G_20150206133146.jpg
    On one hand, this could be the birth of something great, but on the other hand, this could be absolutely terrifying. Nintendo has a reasonably bad track record when it comes to TV series - the CD-i Zelda flops immediately come to mind. I'm actually interested to see where this goes - it is reported that the series would be akin to HBO's Game of Thrones, but in a more family friendly context.​
    So someone please explain to me, how could this series be any similar to Game of Thrones? There isn't a ton of political drama, but I will admit there is a large cast of characters to play around with. Not a ton of royal families to think about either, so I'm definitely shot out here. Zelda has a twin, maybe, and those twins end up romping each other? Any who, Netflix and Nintendo mentioned that the project could be axed at any time, so there's that. What do you guys think? ​

2. fafaffy

fafaffy GBAtemp Fan

Sep 1, 2012
    United States
    This'll be interesting. I wonder how they'll communicate without actually speaking. Maybe have only the face and emotion, however forced subs?
    I can dream

ieatpixels likes this.
  3. Sefi

Sefi GBAtemp Fan

Jun 2, 2005
    But nothing can top Legend of Neil!

Krafter likes this.
  4. Chary

Chary Never sleeps

pip Reporter
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    If it ends up being a great show, that'll be awesome. If it tanks like the CDI/Cartoon stuff did...well...at least we'll have joke material to last us years, like before.

xwatchmanx, VinsCool and TyBlood13 like this.
  5. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    I can't wait to be severely disappointed in this, like every other video game-to-TV/Movie thing ever.

I've no idea how they could even make a series off of something like Zelda anyways, since it's got virtually no...well, TV-ready story. They're going to have to pull a hell of a lot of plot out of their ass if they want this to succeed in any sense.

I also have no idea how this will be like Game of Thrones, since Game of Thrones is 30% fucking, 30% fighting, 30% politics, 9% plot progression and 1% "family fun". Lol

MrJason005 likes this.
  6. XrosBlader821

XrosBlader821 Digimon Tamer

Feb 1, 2014
    Gambia, The
    Dynasty Warriors x Zelda,
    Pokemon x Tekken,
    Sony making a Mario movie,
    Sega making a Luigi arcade,
    Netflix making a live action Zelda,
    whats next?

Lycanroc, VinsCool and dontay0100 like this.
  7. SLiV3R

SLiV3R 3DS Friend Code: 0473-9069-2206

Jan 9, 2006
    I think it's a shame that Netflix are doing it. Bah. They could at least have chosen a Japanese studio.

8. DiscostewSM

DiscostewSM GBAtemp Guru

Feb 10, 2009
    United States
    Sacramento, California
    Great! I'll grab my stuff!

matpower and the_randomizer like this.
  9. Acidflare

Acidflare HomeBrew Beta Tester

Aug 16, 2013
    Canada
    Nether World
    They should have at least gone to crunchyroll.com

10. Celice

Celice GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jan 1, 2008
    United States
    Well the easiest way is to not hold themselves to anything in the Zelda universe other than being a part of it. So many adaptations try to shoe-horn in every reference and validation that it becomes underwhelming and token, and also badly portrayed.

It might also not be much longer than a short season, around eight episodes.

11. WiiCube_2013

WiiCube_2013 GBAtemp Guru

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    So Link's gonna say "hyaah" the whole time?

In truth Link's been in need of a proper voice for a really long time and with Zelda 2015 (Wii U) this would also be ideal to have included.

12. grossaffe

grossaffe GBAtemp Addict

May 5, 2013
    United States
    April Fools! ...right?

13. Drak0rex

Drak0rex GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Oct 12, 2014
    United States
    If done right, this could be something epic. In addition to the main plots of the games, there's an abundance of lore to draw inspiration from. They could start off with how the three goddesses created the world, and delve deep into Majora and Ganon's backstory, and go over the whole zelda link reincarnation thing. Then there's the whole Twilight Princess thing with Midna (another kingdom right there) There's alot to work with.

14. Acidflare

Aug 16, 2013
    Canada
    Nether World
    Well DIC did a really great job in 1989.

15. guitarheroknight

guitarheroknight 1.6180339887

Nov 9, 2014
    Croatia
    Grand Line
    Yeah, this is still a rumor. Nothing confirmed yet.

16. Ryukouki
    OP

Ryukouki See you later, guys.

Jan 31, 2008
    United States

Needs incest. :mellow:

17. WiiCube_2013

WiiCube_2013 GBAtemp Guru

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    Clinging to the past just like Nintendo does. *smh*

18. Haterbait

Haterbait Member

Newcomer
    May 13, 2009
    United States
    I hope this gets axed... The idea is nice, and perhaps an interesting trailer could be produced, but to stretch the plot of a Zelda game into a tv series? There's no way to do that without pure soap opera filler trash. Let's take a beloved video game franchise, remove the puzzle and gameplay elements, extend all cut scenes, and place it on tv and maybe we'll get some money. How about some young, attractive, up and coming actors to forever scar the memory of these characters? Perhaps they'll do it like Gotham and never have Link in there, but have different stories revolving around other people living in Hyrule with occasional cameos from recognized characters. Oh, and let's make Zelda a transvestite and all Zoras can be black people but with gills or something just because edgy. Go Hollywood!

P.S. I don't have Netflix anyway...

19. Acidflare

Aug 16, 2013
    Canada
    Nether World
    Ummm... if it wasn't for keeping hold of past memories you wouldn't know the story of your great great grandparents now would you? History it's everywhere man.

20. Hyro-Sama

Hyro-Sama I'm from the fucking future.

Oct 25, 2009
    After Earth
    Michael B. Jordan for Link.