Netflix Developing a Live-Action Zelda Series

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'd be more skeptical if Hyrule Warriors wasn't a thing.
I could see it working, but it will be a bit weird. If Link is mute, instant 0/10.
Though comparing it to Game of Thrones is a pretty crazy thing to say.

I'm sure it just will never happen, buut i'll check it out if it does, even though I don't really like live action.

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, you have to see the product and not just make up your mind about it because of a blurb you read about it before anything is really known. What if it will be directed by Peter Jackson and star a cast of grey actors? Who knows...

m_babble

Elder Phantom
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The worst that can happen is I/we won't like it, right?
At least the possibility exists!
Hoping for the best.

PS - Hi, GBATemp. Been a while!

Reactions: T-hug

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
this will be a barrel of laughs....I'm seeing it (I have netflix) just for a good chuckle on how they'll mutilate the LoZ series CD-i all over again nintendo don't learn from their mistakes i guess

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
True. so I guess we should expect a cross between that and the live-action Mario Show skits.:lol:
that's..that's........
1323549462708294.png

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
its going to be like game of thrones as in its going to be a middle age like setting, without technology, geez

and what does the cd-i games have to do with this? they weren't done by nintendo and they weren't movies/tv series. and the cartoon was a saturday morning commectial cartoon.

expect young boy hero going on a quest and a princess trying to run a kingdom plagued by evil forces with some advisors (who may or may not be working for the king of evil) trying to take power for themselves. it can easily work, it can easily be charming, as well as it could easily end up generic with the Zelda logo slapped on it.

personally, I'd much rather prefer a cgi-cartoon though. the technology to make those has been getting better and better over the last years and they give you the much needed freedom you need in the fantasy genre. but oh well

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
The Link talking thing is going to be very hard to deal with.
In the games he doesn't talk, yet he's in a world full of people who do talk that don't draw any attention to the fact that he doesn't talk.
How would you manage to pull that off in a live action series?
Imagine how weird it would be to see that side-quest from skyward sword where the shopkeeper would always think Link is flirting with her.

US TV shows have come a long way and they know exactly what to do to make it entertaining and for its audience to keep wanting for more. With the right writers and directors it'll work out as it should.

It'd be a breeze from that fucking "HYAAH" he keeps screaming.

I'd be more skeptical if Hyrule Warriors wasn't a thing.
I could see it working, but it will be a bit weird. If Link is mute, instant 0/10.
Though comparing it to Game of Thrones is a pretty crazy thing to say.

I'm sure it just will never happen, buut i'll check it out if it does, even though I don't really like live action.

Hyrule Warriors is literally one of the worst things to happen to the franchise during these years and that was accomplished by Nintendo themselves so it's tough to dig any deeper than HW.

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
hmmn the CD-i games are nothing like a real life series.
CD-i were interactive games, made out of stop motion cartoon graphics.

Not sure why the OP compared this to CD-i.

A netflix series is a whole other thing.

Also the animated zelda series were great.
"Excuse, me!?!"

Walker D

I have a hat
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
There's no way this will be a series with mute characters... ...new audience would never get it.

Netflix wants it to resemble Game of Thrones but with a more family-friendly tone.
That probably means that the series will not be a particular reinterpretation of a individual game story, like OoT, but probably a more broad aproach grounded on the Zelda universe (and that universe would be based on a individual game though... probably OoT)
At that universe then, would happen a bunch of actions not necessarly associated with any game in particular, but that are coherent with what the Zelda world dictates to be plausible.

If they use this approach I can see this series being not a cliche and even kinda good actually. Just hope they don't go too crazy on the idea of doing a family-friendly GoT and ending doing a series with uninteresting actor's performances due to over copied acting gags and GoT reference.

Reactions: WiiCube_2013

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
US TV shows have come a long way and they know exactly what to do to make it entertaining and for its audience to keep wanting for more. With the right writers and directors it'll work out as it should.

It'd be a breeze from that fucking "HYAAH" he keeps screaming.

Hyrule Warriors is literally one of the worst things to happen to the franchise during these years and that was accomplished by Nintendo themselves so it's tough to dig any deeper than HW.

Worst? Are you high? It's an absolutely fantastic and polished game. It took two universes and blended them -perfectly-. I don't think the game could have gone any better. Probably one of the best on the WiiU right now (not that that's saying much)

Kayot

Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
Legend of Zelda should NEVER be live action. It would be best suited to anime. The LoZ manga's are pretty good and it fits the art style of the games.

I think if it does pick a game line, it should ping OoT, LA, MM, and TP. Too bad it's going to be live action. I won't bother with it.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Worst? Are you high? It's an absolutely fantastic and polished game. It took two universes and blended them -perfectly-. I don't think the game could have gone any better. Probably one of the best on the WiiU right now (not that that's saying much)
It's literally a generic Dynasty Warriors reskinned with Zelda content. Done and done. Omega Force already nailed it and people are used to it so they don't mind paying for the same game without much difference to it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: nes remix 1 had the bad one, nes remix 2 had the good one